Any gamemaker devs?

Started by Avis, March 22, 2016, 10:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis

I make games in gamemaker, just as a hobby.
I haven't finished anything, and i don't see myself taking on or finishing any big projects anytime soon.
Just wondering if I'm the only one here ?
Also, I haven't been on these forums in months and I'm waiting for the next alpha to start playing rimworld again.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

milon

I've dabbled with game making for over two decades.  Not that I have much to show for it.  ;)

I've always got a fun idea or two that I'll work on sporadically for a few weeks to a few years, and they mostly get abandoned in the end.  I like the creative process, but I never quite come up with something "good enough" to release.  (I'm actually working on a project right now that had a 3 year hiatus, which is a record for me!)

Avis

Quote from: milon on March 23, 2016, 09:16:02 AM
I've dabbled with game making for over two decades.  Not that I have much to show for it.  ;)

I've always got a fun idea or two that I'll work on sporadically for a few weeks to a few years, and they mostly get abandoned in the end.  I like the creative process, but I never quite come up with something "good enough" to release.  (I'm actually working on a project right now that had a 3 year hiatus, which is a record for me!)

Hahaha yeah, I love building the beginning of the engine and making something really cool.
But then I abandon the project for something else just as overly ambitious, surely to suffer the same fate.
I tell myself I'm looking for the right idea.
The game that I'll be passionate enough about to not give up on.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

Listen1

Hey, i'm not a developer myself, saw one of my friends do a game and helped him on some puzzles.

I watch a show called extra credits, and one of the episodes, they talked about mechanics as a storytelling. And hey, Rimworld does this real well, games like Ink, Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon, tell their stories through the mechanics alone.

I really love this concept, where you don't receive any data dumps or something like that.

If I were to create a game on this instant, I would make a game for Android/Iphone that you need to go through mazes to achieve something. There could be traps, there could be alot of things happening, monster, bats, etc. But just a mind puzzle like a maze.

JimmyAgnt007

If anyone DOES want to make a gamemaker project, ive always wanted to make a 4x space game since all the other 4x space games regardless if they are inde or AAA all get it wrong.

Im working with a buddy of mine on a FTL meets dwarf fortress game in Unity.

Personally although I went to collage for programming, Im just not happy coding, Im much better at design.  Though designing sure does get easier when you understand how programming works.

Chaotic Skies

I've tried making games, but I've never had the initiative to teach myself how to code, so they normally die off. I've got folders on my computer that I'm slowly filling with ideas for games though, so It's not like I don't have any ideas, just that I don't have the time/dedication to actually make something  ::)
Farewell and Thanks for the Fish.