Best way to level up shooting?

Started by DDRMANIAC007, January 28, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDRMANIAC007

What is the best way people have currently found to level up shooting?

Also found a stockpiling bug where people would put rocks into the dump, but when they would place it there, the rock would teleport outside of the dump area.

palandus

Well, you can use "F" key to manually fire your weapon. I'd suggest pressing it and clicking on things to see if it allows you to shoot at them. Otherwise you could use prisoners as live target practice in a large room, or shoot at animals, or your own buildings.

EDIT: Rock walls can be shot at. Try using them as target practice, and as an added benefit, it will eventually remove them.

PhenomTaker

A shooting range, would be a nice thing for the future :)

Stormkiko

QuoteAlso found a stockpiling bug where people would put rocks into the dump, but when they would place it there, the rock would teleport outside of the dump area.

Clean the Rubble from underneath it.

sparda666

Quote from: PhenomTaker on January 29, 2014, 07:53:38 AM
A shooting range, would be a nice thing for the future :)

for now, Im mining11x11 rooms inside the mountain with a single unmined square in the middle. you can shoot the middle square and when it's destroyed, a piece of cave roof will fall in its place.

you have to keep commanding to shoot though. so its a hassle.

Produno

This i think is one of the reasons we need ammunition. Doesnt have to be anything fancy just a way to record how much you can shoot.

Its always fun having to compromise, let your best shooter use the gun with the least ammo, adds more layers of tactics. Do you attack head on and gain yourself some ammo from the dead pirates or do you let them deplete their ammo then pick them off easy but then loose the opportunity to gain ammo.

Would also add to the game when Tynan adds bows and arrows :).

sparda666

Ammo would be an interesting mechanic.
It would be a bitch to balance though. Feels like raiders would overrun you and you wouldnt get any ammo when you kill them because they would probably empty their magazines by the time they die.

Crafting ammo might be interesting. It would slow down your base development since you are reserving metal for bullets.

Produno

Yeah either crafting of ammunition would need to be implemented but i would prefer only either being able to get them from fallen raiders or bought from the combat supplier.

Velerak

Quote from: Produno on January 30, 2014, 11:18:43 PM
This i think is one of the reasons we need ammunition. Doesnt have to be anything fancy just a way to record how much you can shoot.

Its always fun having to compromise, let your best shooter use the gun with the least ammo, adds more layers of tactics. Do you attack head on and gain yourself some ammo from the dead pirates or do you let them deplete their ammo then pick them off easy but then loose the opportunity to gain ammo.

Would also add to the game when Tynan adds bows and arrows :).

Definitely agreed here, I think there should be various ammo producing machines (projectile, energy clip, special low cost one for arrows/bolts) and have hoppers to load metal into them to make them.  Colonists would use them as they do the paste dispensor but to refill thier own ammo counts.  It would be fun to see raiders run out of ammo, then storm into your ammo dump and reload to keep the party running.

ApexPredator

If energy weapons were added I could see capacitors for a charging station. Or some type of building that produced fuel cells with uranium. 

sparda666

Quote from: Velerak on January 31, 2014, 05:44:08 AM

Definitely agreed here, I think there should be various ammo producing machines (projectile, energy clip, special low cost one for arrows/bolts) and have hoppers to load metal into them to make them.  Colonists would use them as they do the paste dispensor but to refill thier own ammo counts.  It would be fun to see raiders run out of ammo, then storm into your ammo dump and reload to keep the party running.

unless you keep the ammo stash out in the open, I feel it would make little sense for raiders to know where to find your it.

Vastin

Shooting at stone walls with a pistol is the most automated way, but its slow, and you'll eventually chew away a lot of the rock on your map. Alas, you don't seem to be able to target slag or debris for practice, which would be nice for combining practice with slag removal...

You can shoot metal walls, but one of your other guys will inevitably run in to fix it and get shot up.

The fastest way to level your guns seems to be to run around shooting squirrels, boomrats, and muffalos - again with the pistol, because your skill goes up each time you execute a fire action (NOT per bullet fired), and pistol is pretty much the fastest cycling gun. Shooting rocks gets you 10xp per shot, whereas shooting critters gets you 50xp, so its quite a lot faster.

Not sure what shooting raiders gets you. Probably even more, but there's a limited supply of targets.

Goo Poni

I haven't played in the newest build, but in 0.254 or whatever that one was called, you could force fire on dumping grounds. Good way to not have to build mass graves, instead a collection of dumping grounds for corpses which could be cremated with a few molotovs. And you can't kill a dumping ground, so you fire at it endlessly.

Alandil

It appears (filled?) graves are a valid target, and they don't get destroyed, making them easy targets for extended "automated" shooting. If you actually get XP per firing action, that would be a good way to level, since you can let them continue their training as long as you wish (until they need to eat and rest)