nicknames or codenames should be earned

Started by keylocke, March 23, 2016, 09:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

rimworld is all about stories. like the way art often depicts the things that occur in their colony.

i think nicknames should be earned and should reflect that character's "legend".

ie :
-if character was a very good sniper that killed plenty of enemies, he could earn a nickname of "longshot" or "bullseye" or whatever.
-there could be an xml list of all available nicknames and what are the criteria for a colonist to "unlock" those nicknames. (they're like steam "achievements") this would also make it easier for players to add more nicknames and criteria.
-colonist can earn multiple nicknames. players can choose available nicknames for that colonist via drop down button.
-criteria can be : kill X amount of enemies using X weapon, or craft X amount of X item using X material, etc..
-additional criteria could be gender, age, background, etc..

----

anyways, each nickname tells a story that is unique for that character. so that when they die, their "legend" can be inscribed on their grave. to remind others of how great (or awful) that person was while they were alive.

Daman453

Jerry the human meal cooker/eater Mike the human pants supplyer +1 to this idea
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

JesterHell

While I do think nickname should be capable of being earned I don't think locking them to only be available by meeting criteria make sense, this is because there are many nicknames have history outside general knowledge aka player knowledge.

As an example I have an IRL nick name of "little ____" because my older brother's friend in high school had the same first name as me, yet ten years later and despite now being 6'0 and 3 inches taller then my brother's high school friend I'm still called that "little ____" because of the history and given that pawns have a history before reaching your colony saying that can't have nickname X because the history of it is outside player knowledge doesn't make sense to me, I would prefer a text blurb explaining the nicknames history.

I would like to point out that I'm not against nicknames being earned or changing during play I just against them being too heavily locked, I would suggest that they keep the current system where pawns arrive with nicknames that have history but make it possible for them to earn a new nickname at the colony, the player could then get a notification that Pawn A's nickname has changed to B because reasons.

I do see some potential for conflicts or confusion because of things like ironic nicknames, for instance someone who has horrible shooting skill could get the nickname bullseye ironically because he's never hit the bullseye.

Another possible conflict being multi-applicable nicknames, an example being a highly skilled doctor could have a nickname like sawbones because they cut off perfectly good limbs to replace them with bionics or chop-shop because they harvest's organs from prisoners but neither of these names inspire confidence in the doctors skills and could quite easily be applied to unskilled doctors who critically fail.

keylocke

then just change the prerequisites for the unlock. that's why i suggested it to be xml so that players can easily modify it.  ;)

but i think there should be a tag that differentiates between core achievement nicknames compared to player modded nicknames.

JesterHell

Quote from: keylocke on March 24, 2016, 04:49:20 PM
then just change the prerequisites for the unlock. that's why i suggested it to be xml so that players can easily modify it.  ;)

My stance is that I shouldn't have to mod the game to account for what I consider a core aspect of the nicknaming convention.

I think that ironic, sarcastic and even insulting nicknames need to be accounted for if this feature is to be implemented.

I feel that if the dev's are going to do something with earned nicknames I'd rather they do it "right" or not at all, now obviously right in this instance is merely referencing my opinion but I stand by it all the same.  :)

keylocke

have you played games like the "tales of X" series (tales of destiny, phantasia, etc..) in those games they have things called "titles". same thing with mmorpgs like tera, they also have those titles that you can unlock when you do the right prerequisites.

as for what are cool nicknames or not, or what should be the prerequisite of those.
i agree that the default values should be "ok", but if you disagree, then i suppose having the xml file makes it easier to modify. you can even share it as a mod.

JesterHell

Sorry About my previous post, because this line make me sound like a petulant child to myself so I can only image how it sounds to others.  :-[

Quote from: JesterHell on March 25, 2016, 04:14:21 AM
My stance is that I shouldn't have to mod the game to account for what I consider a core aspect of the nicknaming convention.

I suppose that's what I get for posting on three hours sleep. ;)

Quote from: keylocke on March 25, 2016, 02:01:01 PM
have you played games like the "tales of X" series (tales of destiny, phantasia, etc..) in those games they have things called "titles". same thing with mmorpgs like tera, they also have those titles that you can unlock when you do the right prerequisites.

I've never been fond of JRPG game mechanics going as far back a finale fantasy VII, its just a type of game that's never appealed to me personally so I don't play them.

Also I don't like MMO's, I work in a customer service orientated role and so the last thing I want to do after work is deal with other people in my game, this is in part why I oppose multiplayer in Rimworld along with the fact that it's a feature I'll never use and it takes development time and resources away from expanding the single player experience.

I don't think that an MMO's title system fits Rimworld at all, I don't feel that nicknames are the same thing a titles as titles are historically linked to "rewards" for services to the crown or great deeds and that's not what a nickname is, a nickname is what your friends, family, colleagues or even acquaintances calls you and is generally a sign of familiarity not a "reward" to be earned.

I mean next you'll say that a pawn that earns the bullseye nickname should have his accuracy increased as a passive buff and I'm completely against that kind of gimmicky thing being in Rimworld.

The fact that this Idea seems to stem from JRPG's & MMO's is actually putting me off it being included at all...  :-\

Quote from: keylocke on March 25, 2016, 02:01:01 PM
as for what are cool nicknames or not, or what should be the prerequisite of those.
i agree that the default values should be "ok", but if you disagree, then i suppose having the xml file makes it easier to modify. you can even share it as a mod.

I think if either one of us get what they'd prefer then the other could mod it to suit their preference its just a question of which one fits Rimworld better as the vanilla default.  ;)

jay_rab

What about events or achievements triggering a naming event, lets say someone makes a exceptional statue, and when placed one of the colonist say "James wants give you a nickname for making such a great statue!" kinda like how naming the settlement event happens.

That way there was a reason for the nickname and also a means of giving them a "fitting" on for the situation... maybe the quality of the statue was great but in terms of art its very "odd" so you call them "artish" heh

Limdood

I'd rather not complicate the naming system as it already stands.

Colonists have a name already....you can set their "nickname" to whatever you want thru the character screen already.

I can't say i really favor this idea, sorry.