How do you build a ship?

Started by HartfulFlash, March 24, 2016, 01:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HartfulFlash

I know that you have to research all the parts first and I'm working on that, but once you place the structural beam what do you do next? Do I have to build around it with steel walls? I can't place the cryptosleep casket that's meant for space on the ground like the normal one so I assume it knows when it's on a ship, but how do I build one.  ???

(I don't care if it's not a fleshed out mechanic once you launch, I just want to try it)

A Friend

You attach the other ship parts to it. It should look like this basically.
http://i.imgur.com/dfVYGJG.png

No walls needed.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

HartfulFlash

I think I understand what you mean. So does that mean I'll need probably more than one beam?

A Friend

Depends on how many caskets you're gonna add in.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Shurp

Each beam supports 4 caskets, assuming you use the normal broomstick design:

xxxxxxxxxxxx  D     D
xxx Stuff xxxx = = = =    <--- add more beams here
xxxxxxxxxxxx     D    D

Where the "=" is one beam and each "D" is a casket.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

asanbr

You can actually have 8 caskets on a single beam and a fully functioning ship, if you connect the rest of the ship parts to the caskets. You don't have to connect all ship parts to the beam.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Tykero

With a ship like that no wonder were always crash landing on new planets and starting over lol.

A Friend

Looks like something out of Kerbal Space Program

Boston

You know.....

I wonder just how bad life must be on these Rimworlds, where colonists would willingly get onto these slapped-together "Rocket sticks".

I mean..... many of my Rimworld colonies are downright pleasant. Plenty of good, hearty food, comfortable houses (solid log cabins, not some dank cave carved out of a mountain), friendly neighbors (except for those pirate assholes), even some luxuries, like beer, music, soft animal skin-rugs, and the views.

I usually play in Boreal Forests, so I imagine every sunrise looks like this:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/CNEWA7/the-taiga-forest-and-tundra-of-colorful-dwarf-willow-and-birch-are-CNEWA7.jpg

Compared to the above, getting into one of those caskets doesn't seem very preferable.

Grimandevil

welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Shurp

Pretty clever, I never thought to use a casket as a structural component of the ship.

(Technically this is probably something that should be fixed... ship design should require *every* component connected to a structural beam, not just the caskets.)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.