How to get more colonists?

Started by gullfounder, March 23, 2016, 01:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gullfounder

As the titles says how do i get more colonist? i mean i have a total of 4 people. One just joined randomly?
I tried to save one but he was far end of the map so, i couldn't get in time to save him.

The other thing i wanted to know every time is start researching thermal plant i get half done and then no one research on it. i even added 2 people to research. What i am missing?

Zokora

You can get colonists by selfjoin or buying from piratetraders or from capturing and convincing guys from a raid. For the latter one you need to catch the inconcious raider . They will be in prison and when you can save their live you can try to convince them to join your colony.
The settings can be made in the prison tap in when the prisoner is selected.

Research is as any other work. You have to assign someone and if noting else with hiher prio is needed to be done then research will be done.
Try to set the priority for research to 1.

erdrik

Build a room with a bed.
Set Bed to Prison Bed.
Wait for a Raid.
Murder-ize them until they retreat.
Get lucky if one of them is just unconscious rather than dead.
Select one of your colonists and Right-Click the knocked out chump.
Select Capture.
After your new prisoner is in your jail, select them and in the Prisoner tab set it to "Friendly Chat and Recruit".
Make sure one of your colonists is set to Warden in the Work tab.
Wait days/months until your Warden successfully convinces the chump to bow to your merciful authority.

cultist

Quote from: gullfounder on March 23, 2016, 01:39:16 AM
The other thing i wanted to know every time is start researching thermal plant i get half done and then no one research on it. i even added 2 people to research. What i am missing?

Research is ranked as the least important job (far right in the job tab). If you have not set manual priorities, and your researchers have other jobs ticked, they will not do research unless there's nothing else to do (which is rare). To fix it, you either set manual prorities (numbers) or make a dedicated researcher (remove all/most other jobs from that pawn).

gullfounder

asanbr

Quote from: gullfounder on March 23, 2016, 01:39:16 AM
As the titles says how do i get more colonist? i mean i have a total of 4 people. One just joined randomly?
I tried to save one but he was far end of the map so, i couldn't get in time to save him.

When someone drops from the sky in an escape pod, don't rescue them, but capture them to take as prisoners. They are usually the easiest to convert with a difficulty of 30, compared to tribals and pirates who are mostly 90+.

Also, on every map that I have played there has been at least 1, but sometimes 2 "ancient danger" buildings where you break down a wall and find ancient cryptosleep caskets inside. When you open them, there's either mechanoids or space colonists that you can capture and convert. Most of the time, there will be colonists. They are just like the spacers from the sky, easy to convert and often have good skills. But sometimes they will be hostile so try to knock them out without killing them.