What do you use "manual targeting" with turrets for?

Started by Tynan, March 25, 2016, 05:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mechanoid Hivemind

I use it for killing downed raiders that i dont want other than that everything else everyone said
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Pickle

- To open ship part, because if you ask colonists to do it, they'll continue to fire the ship when the mechanoids come out, I got doomed several times because of that. Also the mecha fire at the turrets first so it's a good diversion.

- For Thrumbos, however it's sad they're so easy to kill.

- Sometimes to kill raiders with good weapons.

While I don't use turrets as they are just garbage (terrible range, terrible accuracy, too high material and power cost for range and accuracy), I do use mortars against large groups (targeting the lead pawn) and against besiegers, targeting the middle of their camp.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Headshotkill

I mostly use it for when there's a blob of raiders storming at me, I aim at the guys in the back, this way there's a higher chance the bullets will hit one of the pawns of the group.

(I feel as if this is an exploit though :'()

asanbr

Quote from: Tynan on March 25, 2016, 05:55:27 PM
You can hit a special button to make a turret force-fire at a given target. I want to understand how this feature is used. Can you tell me how you've used this control in the past? Thank you all.

I was attacked by manhunting boomalopes yesterday, and when one of them died, the others started burning and the turrets stopped firing at them while burning. I used force fire to kill them instead of waiting for them to wander around and explode in some dangerous place near a colonist or turret.

I would do the same if it was anything else attacking me and burning, causing the turrets to not auto-fire on it.

Also, I sometimes want to clear out squirrels and other animals inside or near the base who eat crops, and use turrets for this.

Kraehe

To kill unconscious raiders, or execute useless colonists.

juanval

I never used "manual targeting". I like to play in open fields with no mountains-hills close to my colony, and surrounding it with intelligent automatic turrets.

Grubfist

Quote from: Tynan on March 25, 2016, 05:55:27 PM
You can hit a special button to make a turret force-fire at a given target. I want to understand how this feature is used. Can you tell me how you've used this control in the past? Thank you all.

I force-aim turrets at people with rocket launchers or people closing on my lines.

I force-aim mortars at objects or people around the middle of a crowd of invaders that is non-moving.

I also occasionally force-aim turrets to kill tough creatures that are not yet hostile.

falcongrey

Quote from: Noobshock on March 25, 2016, 06:03:57 PM
killing non hostile roaming animals while reducing risk (shooting boomalopes, or dangerous high hp stuff like thrumbos etc)

targeting  specific particularly threatening hostile pawns/MECHANOIDS within reach (omg shoot down scythers first before they amputate my guys)

that's about it for me.

but I do very much like having the option to micromanage turret targets

Same thing right here.  Use it to target dangerous opponents with less danger, singling out REALLY deadly targets to take them down first, stuff like that. Very VERY useful option.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

mumblemumble

I use it as a general "get off my lawn" button,  mostly to shoot little punk squirrels getting near my crops,  firing a volley on passive visitors,  reprioritizing targets (shooting raider a over raider b) and maybe a few other things .... Very useful  ,  i feel,  why do you ask?... I hope you aren't cutting it...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Saw Candyman

I use it to break into rooms that give the "Ancient Danger" warning. I just shoot the wall until I break in, that way no colonists get jumped by potential mechanoids.
Magic Conch, my least favorite colonist (who has cataracts and is incapable of Dumb Labor) is bleeding to death! What should I do?

"Nothing."

THE MAGIC CONCH HAS SPOKEN!

praguepride

One thing I have noticed is if pawns run behind obstructions it can throw off the targetting and the turrets can take awhile to switch to a valid target. A quick manual target to focus on valid targets that will STAY valid targets improves overall efficiency.

Nasikabatrachus

Devon_v