performance issues

Started by fede16071995, April 05, 2016, 05:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fede16071995

so i have a colony with 50+ people, i've reached a point where, when i go in 3 times acceleration the game starts lagging a lot. has this happened to any of you ?

my rig is:
CPU: Intel core i7-4790k 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card
Case: Corsair 750D
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum
Monitor:  BenQ XL2720Z and samsung SyncMaster 2494hs

P.S. i also noticed that the cpu usage sits always under 30%.
if you any  suggestion please tell me since i stopped playing for a year before this save :), thank.

this is the colony.

SpookyMunky

I found a similar limit with my i7 3770k @ 4.5

To improve things *slightly* you can try removing the cpu affinity from the first couple cores since windows bullshit generally uses a few % with its random crap :).. if you right click on the rimworld process in task manager and click affinity you can deselect core 0 and 1.

This is very slight though, lol.. the only real vast improvement you can do is to disable hyperthreading, which will double the speed of the cores rimworld has access to, like instead of being limited to 2 cores out of 8 @ 2ghz each it will have access to 2 cores @4ghz outa 4.. if you then set affinity to core 2 and 3 you should be getting the most outa cpu without interruptions.

http://cdn.overclock.net/c/c7/500x1000px-LL-c7c0ee3c_Capture.PNG

may be where the setting is for your mobo ?.. I know it's crap hehe, your manual should explain it a bit better :)

SpookyMunky

Hyperthreading is a bit of a joke, has been since day one. It is great if you have say lots of users using a single cpu in a networked environment  (as a cpu in a server).. for apps that can use all cpu cores it makes very little difference hehe, it cannot magically create extra cores. Why it is even a feature for standard users I have no idea :(

This is the singular reason people recommend i5 for gaming, well, besides the price cut hehe.. without hyperthreading they are better for gaming in todays environment. And most people don't disable hyperthreading on i7 since must be amazing, lol (myself included !)

thetj

This is the bane of my existence...has made me quit several colonies that were otherwise quite playable

SpookyMunky

The only benefit I have found from hyperthreading is when you manually allocate and babysit every single thing using affinity.. the threaded cores basically just use up whatever cycles are left from the main core, e.g. you can have 7 cores maxed out and cpu 0 will function as it should, so 7/8ths of your cpu can be at 100% usage and you will not notice a thing besides fans screaming at you hehe. without HT that would be 2.25ghz going going to waste just so I could still work, which is kind of huge I guess, but I can count the times that has happened on 1 hand over the years since they introduced it in the early xeons, lol. 99.9% of the time I have been looking at shit using 20% cpu and calling intel all sorts of evil names ! :P.

How many gamers need that feature though ! :), is a complete joke

Especially when you take into account simple good old cpu priority, where you can set something using all cores to below normal and still work as if nothing was going on (again besides the screaming fans haha).. that way every unused cpu cycle is used, negating hyperthreading altogether.

Sorry, am a bit a a nerd :P

fede16071995

i actually found a solution. i have set up two shifts so that i only have half of the colonist working. apparently when they sleep they don't drain resources.

Fluffy (l2032)

The code for finding jobs can be quite expensive, computationally. Try to set only a couple of worktypes per pawn, it's been reported to help a bit.

humblebundle

I just want to say "50+ people?" wow, i will try that with alpha 13 too!
I don't like more then 10 people but i heard 13 is the limit and if you get more the Storyteller goes crazy.
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

The number of colonists depends on the storyteller, Random Randy allows the most colonists while Cassandra and Pheobe allow and target less.

As to hyper-threading...

A CPU core is made up of several smaller components.  The ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit (integer maths)), the FPU (Floating-Point Unit (real numbers)) which is shared with MMX (when it came out), the SIMD engine (Single-Instruction Multiple-Data, floating point) as well as cache controllers, etc, etc.

What Hyper-Threading does is attempts to share a single core's unused components between multiple processes.  eg, One process is doing some integer maths in the ALU so the FPU is free and "can be used" by another process.  This generally only yields about a 10-15% improvement as the "higher level" units (ALU, FPU, MMX, SIMD) require exclusive use of certain "lower level" units (cache controller, prefetch queue, instruction decoder).

In the worst case, Hyper-Threading can reduce performance by causing cache invalidations (the CPU core needs to completely refresh it's data) and other "collisions."

Hyper-Threading was a good idea on paper, but not in practice.

(This is yet-another-reason I stick with Amd.)
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.