[Balance] Beds not using cloth to be made

Started by falcongrey, March 26, 2016, 02:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falcongrey

I'll start off by stating I used mods with A12 for so long I can't remember if it was a mod that added you needed cloth to make a bed or if it was part of A12.

Personally, I feel any kind of bed should require some amount of cloth to make the mattress and sheets. The mattress alone should require at least a quarter to half the amount of material it requires to make the bed.  Example, a Steel bed currently requires 35 steel and a steel double bed currently requires 70. I feel it should be a Steel bed requires 35 steel + 17 cloth to make and a Steel Double Bed require 70 steel + 35 cloth to make. Cloth is easily 'grown' from cotton plants or at the least traded for in caravans.

Side note: Simply making a bed from steel would equal to a very hard flat steel surface to lay on which I think would be very uncomfortable and the ground would be softer.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

This is a suggestion which isn't really related to private testing, so I'm just going to move it to Suggestions.

My response, though, is that it makes sense but it'd make the early game too difficult IMO. But it's an idea that's been around a while.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Limdood

yeah, it would really suck to only be able to sleep on the ground (with all the mood penalties involved) for several days (or more, depending on biome or events) upon landing.

A hard flat surface still generally beats laying on the ground.

If you REALLY need to wrap your head around how a bed could possibly work this way, wood beds (which generally are cheaper and equivalent or better to any other material) could use some foliage in the "wood" requirement, and the game just hand-waves it as "wood"

Jaxxa

I think it would be better if only the more advanced beds requires cloth.

RemingtonRyder

It would be okay if you start off with some cloth as part of the crash landing, but I'm not sure what it adds. It means that you have to wait for some cotton to grow if you want to build more beds, and quite possibly that bed frames and bed linen will be separate things which together make a bed.

I think that if you had no bed linen but some tattered clothing rags that you could stitch together into a Frankenstein's monster of a blanket, you would do that instead of going without. Plenty of dead raiders don't need clothing any more. Just saying. :)

skullywag

easy to get leather early on. Cmon Tynan let us have double stuffed things....imagine the craziness/memes that would cause :D
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

humblebundle

And whats about water? colonists only eat, never drink.
Then we need metal for the doors, because you can't create doors without nails or other compontents, also seeds for the plants, water for the plants, we need showers, toilets, also tools like hammer, nails, saw, because people can not cut a tree with fists :P

I think it should not be to realistic, but i would like to see the option for a "royal" bed which actually needs cloth and increase the comfort and on.
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

Mathenaut

I'd rather just see a higher tier of beds that use more materials.

MikeLemmer

I would handwave it as blankets being jettisoned along with the colonists but never really itemized. (Same deal as with the various axes/picks/hammers/etc that are implied in chopping/mining/construction jobs but never mentioned.) They would certainly be a reasonable part of any emergency survival kit.

Gameplay-wise, if it was implemented, it would be feasible to use any type of cloth or leather in constructing a bed (using animal hides as blankets is a millenia-old tradition), and it would be a mess to program choosing two materials (one for the frame, one for the blanket) just to make a bed.

APPENDEUM: Frankly, rather than making beds require cloth, it would be better to just make blankets personal "clothing" for colonists they carry around with them and give them a mood penalty if they sleep without one.

bhavv

An idea taken from craft the world - early beds could simply be changed to wooden beds which use leafs as the mattress. No need to add leafs as a seperate resource as they would simply be unique to this one use for the moment.

For the sake of balance, these beds could be neutral on mood. Later beds could then be made with different types of fibre determinining how much of a bonus they give for 'well rested'.