[1.3] Map Reroll (2.7.1) - Pick your starting map

Started by UnlimitedHugs, March 28, 2016, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sliderpro

Heya. There is a thing I d like to request.
I wonder if it is possible for your mod to ask the size of the colony I want. I screwed up initially (chose a map size too big) and now I wish to move to smaller map.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Sliderpro on June 15, 2017, 04:45:21 PM
Heya. There is a thing I d like to request.
I wonder if it is possible for your mod to ask the size of the colony I want. I screwed up initially (chose a map size too big) and now I wish to move to smaller map.

If you're not looking to move your existing base to the new map, shouldn't be difficult. I am working on a "sequel" to Map Reroll, so I could include it there as a special option.
You don't have to wait for that, though- you could edit your save file and change the size for new maps- look for "initialMapSize".
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Sliderpro

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on June 15, 2017, 05:50:24 PM
If you're not looking to move your existing base to the new map, shouldn't be difficult. I am working on a "sequel" to Map Reroll, so I could include it there as a special option.
You don't have to wait for that, though- you could edit your save file and change the size for new maps- look for "initialMapSize".
I'm glad to read your reply!
Imo this feature would be very nice. Sometimes, there is a need for different sized colonies. For example, if player chose large map size initially, his second base would be same max size and would eat quite a lot of performance.
Definetely may be useful! Btw thanks for help.

wwWraith

May I ask you to bring back the old (before 1.5.2) behavior when newly rerolled maps won't be the same in each sequence? Probably in the form of simple options checkbox or with the ability to store/edit the seed for random generator as it is in the world generation window.

My problem is that I often want to find a tile on the world map with some rare enough combination of features, e.g. it should be near the center of the map (so I could send caravans everywhere in reasonable time), in the rainforest biome with 40 or 50 days growing time, near the road or on it, on river, with granite and marble, etc. Sometimes it could take several hours to generate a world where such spot exists. And then when I try to reroll the map to get it good enough, too, it often crashes after 2-3 attempts. Obviously my computer is too old and this repetitive rerollings use memory until it runs out of it. So then I have to generate a new world, again and again... Or may be there are some way to lessen this memory consumption?

And I don't know if it's possible at all, but I dream about world map editor that should allow to directly set every available feature like biome, hills, roads, temperatures for any chosen world tile or at least some tool to make world generation to repeat automatically until there will be found a tile with the requested features.

Anyway, thanks for your great work :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: wwWraith on June 24, 2017, 04:30:19 PM
- snip -

I can include the non-deterministic rerolls option in the upcoming version I'm working on. The crashes should, hopefully, soon also become a thing of the past, as the new system takes a more efficient approach to rerolling maps.
A world reroll feature would be tricky, but feasible- recreating the whole world would take too long, but perhaps it would be possible to change the terrain features on a localized scale. Something to consider for future updates.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

UnlimitedHugs

As you may know, I've been working on a "sequel" to Map Reroll- well, I'm pleased to report, that I have a version ready for public testing:

Map Reroll 2: The Dice of Fate

Keep in mind, that this is a beta, and most of the content (and some features) are yet to be added. However, the basic rerolling should already be working nicely. Additional settled maps can now also be rerolled, and the reroll controls have been moved to the monument building you will find on your maps.
Looking forward to your feedback and bug reports.

stigma

Great mod - but for me this crashes the game consistently after I reroll more than 5 times (without restarting).

It's a minor inconvenience since you can just save before, but you should look into correcting that. It does take a lot of time to restart Rimworld with many mods and it can get a bit annoying if you are OCD and want to reroll a lot looking for something spesific.

-Stigma

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: stigma on July 05, 2017, 10:31:02 PM
Great mod - but for me this crashes the game consistently after I reroll more than 5 times (without restarting).

Yeah, it's a complex issue- the game is basically running out of memory. You could try out the beta I linked above and see if it performs any better.

stigma

Hey, you know what would REALLY be a nice feature to add to the new version?

The ability to display and input map seeds - so if you want a specific seed you can type one in.
Find a cool one? Save it for later. Can't tell how many times I've been annoyed at losing a good map because I had to do a restart due to adding a big mod or something like that. It would also allow for sharing maps in the community - which is a big deal I feel. Kind of weird this isn't already a part of the game honestly.

-Stigma

OrbitalSP3

I just wanna say thanks for this mod. So good, so simple, so well done and very useful.
Using in combination with that other mod that allows you to tweak maps properties like the amount of ruins, water and so on, and the other one that generates random abandoned buildings, the game feels even better.

Sirsim

Quote from: stigma on July 14, 2017, 10:54:45 AM

The ability to display and input map seeds - so if you want a specific seed you can type one in.
Find a cool one? Save it for later. Can't tell how many times I've been annoyed at losing a good map because I had to do a restart due to adding a big mod or something like that. It would also allow for sharing maps in the community - which is a big deal I feel. Kind of weird this isn't already a part of the game honestly.

-Stigma

I had the same problem but if you know the seed -by wright it down before you start or see it in game on debug mode- you can regenerate the same world . If you pick the same spot and use the mod, you will get the same map ! I was surprised cause i thought that after the first map every dice gives you random variables of it.
But no, you will eventually get the same map again after 2-3 dices . In my opinion this shows how nice this mod works. You don't get some extra random maps but maps based on the content of the base map in some other ways (and there are not many). Now when i find a nice new map, i keep the seed and i can regenerate it anytime with just few steps .
True self and happiness lies in the space between two thoughts.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: stigma on July 14, 2017, 10:54:45 AM

Yeah, this one's definitely on my mind. Question is how to implement it, since the map contents are tied to the world seed and world position of your map. I have a few ideas in that regard, and I'll probably give it a whack once I release the new previews feature.

Quote from: OrbitalSP3 on July 14, 2017, 11:03:08 AM
I just wanna say thanks for this mod. So good, so simple, so well done and very useful.

Glad you're putting it too good use :)

Quote from: Sirsim on July 14, 2017, 11:19:50 AM
- snip -

Yep, that's the deterministic seeds feature at work.

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 2.0.0

Well folks, the good times have finally arrived :D
After many hours of development and extensive testing, I'm pleased to share with you the new map preview system.
This puppy allows you to look at potential reroll destinations, so you can pick exactly the features you're looking for. This is a lot quicker and more convenient than generating full maps, and more reliable in terms of stability.

The reroll engine internals have also been completely reworked to take advantage of Rimworld's new map system. This should mean better performance and fewer reroll-related quirks, as well as the ability to reroll additional settled maps.

This update also marks the removal of the secret feature that's been bugging people for some time now. Maybe the future will bring some other perks for those who choose to keep the reroll cost enabled. In the interest of full disclosure, here's what it was all about.

Steam release sometime tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy, and as always, I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Sirsim

This is great ! I am having so much fun just previewing maps and thinking how each one can be developed.
Only problem, i can't decide where i want to play as there is always desire for something more :D.
This is heaven for strategy game players . Thank you.
True self and happiness lies in the space between two thoughts.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Sirsim on July 27, 2017, 03:10:30 PM
This is great ! I am having so much fun just previewing maps and thinking how each one can be developed.
Only problem, i can't decide where i want to play as there is always desire for something more :D.
This is heaven for strategy game players . Thank you.

I'm pleased to hear that!
As for deciding on a map, that's what the reroll cost was designed for- it helps to narrow down the available options and brings some balance to an otherwise overpowered feature :)