[1.3] Map Reroll (2.7.1) - Pick your starting map

Started by UnlimitedHugs, March 28, 2016, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwWraith

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 07, 2018, 03:35:32 PM
So, after having a strange issue with the game crashing to RimWorld's main menu after trying to reroll a map, I've finally narrowed down my issue. I thought it was coming from Rim of Madness, because my error log made it seem like Minify Everything was saying that it was having issues with a coffin (that is what your vampire comes in, when they land from a drop pod). However, after having shared my HugsLib report with both Jecrell (Rim of Madness) and Erdelf (Minify Everything) I have now been sent back to you, saying that the issue is coming from Map Reroll and these caskets :)

I'm pretty sure I had no such issue when I rerolled the maps with that coffin. However I don't use Minify Everything and it was a couple of Vampires and JecsTools versions ago while MapReroll wasn't changed from that time.

Quotewhen I go to delete the casket with the dev tool, I will click the casket once, and then I get an error that pops on my error log, saying I am trying to delete something that has already been deleted. As in, the casket was there twice or something? I'm not sure, but I have zero issues deleting anything else with the dev tool, but only when I click a casket will this strange error pop.

I'm experiencing this error decently often when deleting various objects, sometimes even vanilla animals or plants. Looks like it's harmless.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Kassidoo on February 07, 2018, 11:08:38 AM
- snip -

These are the hardest to diagnose, especially when other mods are involved. The only way I was able to consistently reproduce a crash is by having the game run out of memory after rerolling multiple large maps in a row. Who knows what other factors are involved, though.
So, at this time the best advice I can offer is- save your progress, and keep your fingers crossed. Perhaps, add any problematic mods after doing the rerolling, where applicable.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 07, 2018, 03:35:32 PM
- snip -

That's all right, I think I know what the problem is. Is there a way to drop a casket with the dev tools, for testing?
Also, Minify Everything is not involved in this one, it's having some initialization issues, though.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on February 08, 2018, 01:26:44 AM
That's all right, I think I know what the problem is. Is there a way to drop a casket with the dev tools, for testing?
Also, Minify Everything is not involved in this one, it's having some initialization issues, though.

Sure, I don't see why it wouldn't be ;) I can run any sorts of tests that you need, if it will help you.

Kassidoo

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on February 08, 2018, 01:26:44 AM
These are the hardest to diagnose, especially when other mods are involved. The only way I was able to consistently reproduce a crash is by having the game run out of memory after rerolling multiple large maps in a row. Who knows what other factors are involved, though.
So, at this time the best advice I can offer is- save your progress, and keep your fingers crossed. Perhaps, add any problematic mods after doing the rerolling, where applicable.
So, when I reroll a new map the data from the old map isnt discarded? Ive been trying to find the cause of this problem and it only took longer for each mod I removed, but overall the same out of error happened after a while regardless, even as you said with only this mod active.
The more mods I have, the more data per map, the more ram. So with enough mods even 1 re-roll can crash it. It also happened without rerolling the map, and just playing a while with the maps I start with... something is horribly wrong somewhere...

wwWraith

Quote from: Kassidoo on February 09, 2018, 08:35:35 AM
So with enough mods even 1 re-roll can crash it.

Yes, it's a big problem :( I have to make a temporary modconfig whenever I'm going to create a new map, with removed mods that are not necessary at the generation time to reduce memory usage.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

There was a thread recently, on the general board I believe, about people converting to Linux to solve their RAM issues. I am planning on switching in the future as well, screw this damn 4GB crap!

wwWraith

Harry_Dicks

Would it be possible to have the option to turn caves on or off on map rerolls? Or at least have rerolls have a map only if your current map has one? I personally don't like playing maps with caves, and always pick one without caves from the world map. This makes me feel like all of the maps generated on Map ReRoll that have a cave in them, I don't want to pick. That coupled with my silly mountain on the north side of the map addiction, means I only want to play roughly 12.5% of the maps generated :-\

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Kassidoo on February 09, 2018, 08:35:35 AM
So, when I reroll a new map the data from the old map isnt discarded?

Nope. One of the mods, or perhaps the base game, is still keeping references to discarded maps.
On the bright side, this has prompted me to make the previews system to sidestep the issue, so, you know- silver linings :)

Quote from: wwWraith on February 09, 2018, 07:10:22 PM
My 2GB will remain 2GB on Linux ;D

With a small distro and the right window manager you might make better use of what you have- some take up as little as 200mb to work and run the game.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 10, 2018, 09:15:49 PM
Would it be possible to have the option to turn caves on or off on map rerolls?

Didn't realize caves didn't respect settings. I'll see if I can make them consistent with the selected tile.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Harry_Dicks

Weirdest bug, not a big issue or anything. But whenever I reroll the map, only one of my colonists (the same one every time, because I use the same loadout from Prepare Carefull) always spawns in the new map with a random weapon. He isn't landing with any weapon the first time when he comes down in a drop pod, only on the reroll. Sometimes it's a composite bow, now a hatchet. The first time I noticed it was because he's a brawler, and I had the notification that a brawler has a ranged weapon. He was walking around with a damn flintlock pistol... something I know I hadn't made him pick up :P

I usually reroll the map almost right after the drop pods land, too. Never build anything. Could this be a random weapon laying on the ground inside of an ancient danger that your mod is picking up, and then bringing it with my crew? That's all I could think of, but still strange how this same guy ends up with the item equipped...

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 20, 2018, 07:08:01 PM
Weirdest bug, not a big issue or anything. But whenever I reroll the map, only one of my colonists (the same one every time, because I use the same loadout from Prepare Carefull) always spawns in the new map with a random weapon.

Must be some odd interaction with Prepare Carefully. Unless, of course, you disabled a certian dev mode setting in Map Reroll...

Harry_Dicks

These are the settings I am using. Also, just to make sure, I never originally spawned with any of these weapons nor did I ever have them in a loadout or anything from PC. The first load into the game is normal with the stuff I'm supposed to have. Only after rerolling will this one pawn have some random weapon already equipped.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 22, 2018, 09:52:08 AM
These are the settings I am using. Also, just to make sure, I never originally spawned with any of these weapons nor did I ever have them in a loadout or anything from PC. The first load into the game is normal with the stuff I'm supposed to have. Only after rerolling will this one pawn have some random weapon already equipped.

Well, I'm going to tentatively point my finger at PC :)
Probably not worth bothering EdB over this, though. Maybe I'll verify the next time I'm updating.

Mr_Man

Doesn't seem to like 400x400 rerolls. Always crashing :)

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Mr_Man on February 22, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
Doesn't seem to like 400x400 rerolls. Always crashing :)

You're most likely running out of memory. Try using a smaller map or fewer mods.