Container Ideas

Started by Workload, January 29, 2014, 06:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Workload

Pretty sure this is plan already down the road somewhere. But I think it look a lot nicer with a few different kinds of containers.

Metal racks 1x2/ Metal boxes in 1x1 & 1x2/ Lockers1x1/ Safes1x1 and so on
These would need a path to them so they would need 2 stacks per tile or more, other wise they be useless and waste room. Maybe even 3 stacks can be placed but that could push it. Also to make it easy, only 1 type of item can be store in a container/tile. Unless you want to do more work to figure that out.

Added to this but a lot more work
Fridge/Cooler Can store food to prevent it getting affected by rotting/ can make they rot by time or an event that rots random foods on the map that are not stored in these.
Or make the cooler item like a air system you had while back, were it makes the room cold. Then you can store the food in normal containers/ or toss it on the ground. Skipping the fridge but have to make the cooling item, plus side to this is that you don't need power to each fridge.

Trensicourt

Close rooms with cooling system that slows the rotting of food. This acts like a big fridge. Good Idea.
However, I don't like the metal racks, metal boxes, lockers, or the safe unfortunately. Think about it, your using metal to store metal..... which doesn't entirely make sense, unless you make a metal compacting machine that can turn metal scraps into a metal block to store, then you store it.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Galileus

Quote from: Trensicourt on January 29, 2014, 06:27:01 PMHowever, I don't like the metal racks, metal boxes, lockers, or the safe unfortunately. Think about it, your using metal to store metal..... which doesn't entirely make sense, unless you make a metal compacting machine that can turn metal scraps into a metal block to store, then you store it.

Makes perfect sense. Do you rather make a heap in the middle of a room or make a container from best available resource... which is metal.

Unless you make it out of food or silver simply because you really don't like using metal :s

Trensicourt

I still DON'T know how it allows more metal to be stored. Plus, wouldn't it waste room for more metal?

Galileus

You can use much more vertical space when using containers instead of heaping things up. And, you don't risk that this heap will fall on you and completely break your day. And bones.

Trensicourt

Untrustedlife

but the game has simulated heights (we have roofs, but we cannot see them) and we are looking down in some cases from above. So it would still make sense that this "world" has vertical space but we cannot see it.
Sadly we will get no z levels. /:
(well we won't get them for a very, very long time if he does add them.)
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Trensicourt

I know it is vertical obviously and I'm actually being stubborn right now. I simply just disagree with containers at this development of the game. I'd rather see cooling systems in closed rooms to slow the rotting of the food which would fit perfectly with this suggestion of mine shown below. Right now we have a perfectly fine and newly updated storage system. Right now, I'd like to see something that can mess with our food supply and a counter to it to keep the players alert.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1805.0
Why not give research more of a purpose? Sometimes a blight would come like said above and that researcher must find a cure for it. That researcher will work on his research bench to find cures for the blight.

But the blight system works different in this version. The blight will wipe out most crops; 1 or 2 crops will survive. Next, those leftover crops will be collected by the researcher and the researcher will analyze it on his research bench. If the crops aren't cured, those crops will slowly start to grow back in a week. During this time, your people will use your stockpiled food supplies rapidly unless your scientist cure the crop. I think this is a pretty reasonable way to make the blight more deadly.

Trensicourt