Iron men mode - FoW - Simplified missions and other suggestions

Started by wbonxx, April 04, 2016, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbonxx

I have 20 ears of experience on forums... it is sad to see how there are defined users that make worthless writing down an interesting post.
This is a recurring pattern, such people always flame with strong statements, demanding the game to stay pure in a certain way or the other.
In general if such people have all this time to invest and posts just to criticize quite simple suggestions... well... it is just frustrating for me how fast things get out of track, the OT get's trashed and people loose interest in reading. No offense.

Going back to the OT.
1- If developer have time could be interested even to have a simple dialog box where you can send 2-3-4 colonist out for gathering resources or with weapons to attack another base. Then they will be away and come back with something or just not come back at all. The idea is I'm dying, I have no food, better send some people and take a risk.

2- The fog of war I think is harder to implement, if not would be amazing, some of us would really enjoy going out in the dark with lights chasing after an alert/signal that said someone landed or entered the perimeter... what if they are coming from the other side?!
It is also quite stupid to build de novo traps based on the position of the assault. Like a lot of turrets before triggering the landed toxic space ship.

3- Interaction with foreiners.... I'm sure the devs already thought about this, could also be just something like, define some resources to spare with visitors, tey can then gift in exchange, or a console that opens when they are sitting at the table, to trade few things with them.

4- I have another one.... what about different roofs to use... or sturdier roofs with sturdier walls.... ust to protect only the core elements from artillery.

Limdood

the original point was that these suggestions have mostly been made already, in better thought out ways, and been either shot down, or discussed to death with no hints of ever being introduced. 

paint me as a crotchety old conservative purist if you want.  I play the game too.  Adding things that change the spirit of the game (omniscient watcher helping to tell the story of the colony suddenly can't see 3/4 of the map, just so a pirate raid can troll me with a false signal every once in a while.) would quite significantly diminish my enjoyment of the game, which i bought and play BECAUSE of what kind of game it is.

MajorFordson

Except that "seeing all" really limits the type of stories that happen. There's never any surprises for combat or events, the player always knows what is coming and always has his pawns ready for it. That's some self defeating "emergent gameplay" right there. Currently the "story" ALWAYS goes "The colonists all had a psychic vision of pirates approaching their settlement, and instinctively knew to grab their weapons and take up very specific ambush positions"

Denying the game already is an RTS is ridiculous, or else the pawns wouldn't be controllable by the player if it were truly a "story generator".

There's no good reason why the game can't have both things, aside from the discretion of our wonderful game designer of course.

Personally I would love fog of war (and technological ways of defeating it) to be in the game, to create a more challenging game experience AS WELL AS making for more scenarios and "stories" to unfold.

wbonxx

I agree.

1-I think also the FoW would heavily rise the atmosphere and sensation of danger.
It would also give a reason for avoiding just building in the most covered spot, because having field of view with FoW would play an important role.

2-Iron man should be really simple to implement, would be nice to have an answer from the

3- Any opinion on the simplified missions? I have in mind something like Sheltered. Decide where to go, choose items to bring and who to send. Then few days later have an outcome, dead or resources found, maybe tech.
Devs.

4- Another idea: What about deserters? People getting pissed and leaving together... or families choosing to leave?
What about  a sort of competition of other colonies that could attract migrants from your in case things turn out bad and there are mood issues?

wbonxx

Eheheh.

Ok this was funny, just checked the newupdate. Iron man (permadeath) is there.

Thanks guys :D