Won't tame?

Started by Sponge, April 04, 2016, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sponge

My colonists won't tame this elephant, even though one has animal handling prioritized and is level ten. Help?

SpookyMunky

They have advanced intelligence, 10 might be too low.. shouldn't be impossible but the odds are pretty slim, it should say if you watch closely, little text like "failed to tame, 1% chance" or so.

mumblemumble

Yep,  taming for more interesting animals takes high skill,  10 is just fully practiced / understanding the whole process,  but not necessarily being immensely skilled at it.

Get them to 15, might be easier. Taming squirrels / rabbits is a good way to grind,  since they breed easier,  so you can get more animals to grind on, and grind into meat.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpookyMunky

boars are a good animal to train up I find since they are pretty decent at fighting and can haul... and taste good when food it low ;)

I have a bit of a boar army going in my current game to keep my guys levelled high enough to train the thrumbos.

Sponge

No i mean he won't even attempt to tame it even if i right click it.

SpookyMunky

oh, hmm.. they can only attempt to tame / train an animal once a day, if they have the right skill level for the animal.. does no text pop up when you try ?.

Mikhail Reign

Zones all good? Colonist allowed to where the animal is? Allowed to where the food the animal eat is? Have excess food the animal eats?

AllenWL

Right clicking animals for force-taming can be a bit weird.

Things to check are
1. Do you have enough 'treat' foods(a.k.a 'not hay') to tame the animal?
2. Is handling 10 enough for a elephant?
3. Is the elephant in an area the tamer can enter(not forbidden, a path exists, etc)?

If all three requirements are met, they should go and try to tame the animal about once a day.

FULLBULLBLOODFORCE

I had this same problem. Eventually I figured out that it was because another pawn or animal had been trying to use the food. Make sure the food is secured and no one is trying to cook or eat it when you go to click tame