Forum account activation

Started by GC13, October 09, 2013, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GC13

Am I the only one who had a really hard time activating my account when they first signed up for the boards?

The link the e-mail provided didn't work, and I couldn't click a link to actually register. I had to finagle the the URL (I think I manually pointed it at activate.php or something). I'm using Chrome, not some weirdo browser that doesn't conform to standards, so I don't know what the deal was.

TestBlah

This is Tynan. I just tried it and it worked fine...

GC13

Odd. Perhaps it simply didn't like me much?

index.php?action=activate strikes me as odd, but whatever the deal was I was obviously able to figure it out. Still perplexing that it messed up for just me.

Semmy

Quote from: GC13 on October 09, 2013, 11:03:21 PM
Odd. Perhaps it simply didn't like me much?

index.php?action=activate strikes me as odd, but whatever the deal was I was obviously able to figure it out. Still perplexing that it messed up for just me.

i must say i didnt have much trouble.
Askes 2 friends who registered here also no trouble
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Hypolite

Do you still have the email that has been sent to you?

GC13

Yes, but everything seems in order. When I click on the link now it just takes me to the index, but that seems like it would be expected behavior if it detects that my account has already been activated.

Dejix

Now that you mention it I did have a problem with the activation link myself. I had to copy and past the activation link as it appeared in the email to get it to work because the embed one had "index.php?action=activate" without the associated hash to properly activate. Unfortunately I deleted the email... but if it helps I was using a hotmail account.

Hypolite

I'd say it's a problem in the mail client to show the activation link. Since I can't access to the email addresses of members, GC13 can you tell me if you are using hotmail too?

GC13

Hotmail, accessed through Windows 8's Mail application.

Which, now that you mention it, could cause problems...

Dejix

I was just using the web-mail client to get to my email. Maybe the server removed the hash from the link but not the text in the email? I would test this myself but I don't want to register a dummy user and be a nuisance.

GC13

I checked the hyperlink in my mail client and it does indeed have the username and activation code in it. My problem was that the forum software didn't want to activate an account from that URL.

Auranfox

Hi, I found the issue with this - I'm a tad late, but I had the exact same issue using Windows 8 mail client and hotmail, internet browser is firefox.

It seems that the semicolons in the link are replaced by "%3b" when the link is opened, putting you on the index page and not registering you because of the broken link.
Replacing these "%3b" instances with ";" fixed the issue for me.

~Auran