Legendary everything!

Started by Hollowendz, April 06, 2016, 09:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Colony ends aren't just from incompetence,  they can be from a raid during a bad time,  a tiny hole in a plan,  or just a combination of bad events. Ever seen "why did it have to be squirrels?"

Plus,  with that I'm loading to keep the Colony alive,  not to cheese good stats on 1 item.  I think that is pretty reasonable.

Main issue is,  I'm extremely against someone asking for rebalancing because of cheesy tactics,  that is why skyrim didn't have acrobatics as a skill,  for one,  and for two,  most people don't do this ENOUGH  that balancing around it is required.

Ontop of that,  its tedious as fuck,  and i like a certain randomness to crafting,  Same for surgery,  and everything else.

I mean if you really want to go down that road,  I'm sure if i save scummed enough,  i could win the game without anyone ever dying ever,  but that isn't bad balance,  that is me save scumming

So your issue is with rng in general being abusable, which is just silly, because literally every single event in this game could be negated this way.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Hollowendz

Some would say save scumming to keep the colony alive is a worse offense than for doing it for 1 item.

I never said there should not be randomness, simply predetermined randomness.

Hollowendz

Like the story teller saying. Next Roll, you get a -10 on that roll no matter what....still a random storyteller...but sticks to his/her plans

mumblemumble

Maybe as an xcom esqe anti save scum preventative measure (it was an optional feature) but not by default...

Also,  no,  not really....

An item compared to a game over is completely different.

An item you could keep playing if you got a normal,  or even poor one, and it sounds like you do it often enough that you are cheesing the game to never give you anything not perfect.

A save on colony death is simply NOT playing on iron man.

To compare  ,  your loading save is like loading on a 5% shot in xcom and keep doing until you crit.

Me loading is like getting the xcom base wiped out (which ends the game)  and loading because i don't want to start over.

Also,  if you do it for items,  i highly doubt you also play iron man for everything else.

And again,  no, predetermined rolls should NOT be default, as this would punish others for someone else being insistant on cheesing.  I can support it as an option,  because options are good,  but  default would cause way too many problems.

I support multiple play styles,  so long as they don't step on each others toes.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Hollowendz

I'd support it as an option. It just seemed that coding it would involve integrating it into the system and having a way to turn it off and not on. (But it still has to BE an option first before it becomes a NON-option to others)

Like I said...I don't code/mod/play around with dev mode. I play it the way Tynan delivers it

An argument like. "that is too big of a project time/money wise" or "it's too late...the current coding would not allow that" would hold more weight. even then...I was just throwing it out there..

mumblemumble

Well,  heres my viewpoint.

If it can be made an option,  go ahead. If it can't,  just leave it be,  as its so obscure,  and could mess with average players potentially,  and is only used by people very very deliberately trying to exploit.

Generally most people who save scum like  THAT  aren't far off from save editing people,  so what is the point stepping on people's toes fixing something like that if it isn't an option?

-----

Hollowendz

I wholeheartedly agree on the option bit.

That being said. Those save editors may have not a greatly expanded tool set...but they will go beyond what most people would do in a game it order to mold it.  (I'm sure anyone can learn to alter save file given the right resources and 5 mins learning)

That same table would be just as editable and simply expand their options, not decrease them...they can now simply alter the random chart after it's generated...and have a much smoother time playing knowing that every bed henceforth would come out legendary.

But I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the other people. The people that wont play that way on release. I think so many bright minds on a board has blinded people into thinking that the finished product will not be consumed by a much larger audience....with taste's that expand beyond the altering of the game, to simply....playing it...

it's much easier for people to say "This game....I'm going hardcore!" And assume the responsibility as they flip the switch to hardcore, than with the option of starting hardcore, but figuring out a way to cheat the game eventually, because well damint....some times you need that jealous person to just have a nice bed already.

Negocromn

I kinda like your suggestion tbh, as I said in my first post I've had an episode with this before BUT at the same time this is really such a non-issue and changing things could potentially create similar exploit possibilities and other problems.

I don't think it's worth the trouble, sorry.

Hollowendz

I respectfully disagree on it being worth the trouble. It's my bearing on a games replay value, and is a factor in my selection process of video games

It seems the game already has most mechanics in place. It occurred to me that the story teller already has predetermined randomness after all.

I remember once loading into a save that had thrown a poison ship at me. I really didn't want to deal with them, so I reloaded the game. At the exact same time on my reload...poison ship again...load after load...poison ship....go back 2 poison ship...wait many many hours....poison ship..

Go back 10 hours or so (i dont know the exact number, could be a day) and the story teller has finally rewritten your random chart.

So the Storyteller obviously predetermines it's random outcomes, and is already keeping track of it it somewhere...

Roll outcomes much sooner (a week or two behind) so as to not enable easy reloads...and you've already solved half the problems with achieving a hardcore mode. I understand 2 weeks of random events may take up more memory, and i'm not sure how easy that would be to optimize either. You tell me..

Mikhail Reign

nah I prefer random. If you save before an event I like it to be able to change.

Also, events aren't 'stored' before hand. That poison ship? I'm going to assume since you scum 100%, you were probably friendly with every faction, and it was the only event left in the bag.

Mathenaut

I don't get why 99% of people would super-scum it instead of just doing the edit. The edit is substantially easier to do for someone that really wants to control the output quality.

Mikhail Reign

Don't say that - then the saves will have to be encrypted for those who cant hold back from editing them...

Fluffy (l2032)

Anyhow, it appears that you got your wish? RimWorld now has an iron man mode where you can only save on exit if I read the release notes correctly.

Negocromn

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on April 07, 2016, 05:49:46 AM
Anyhow, it appears that you got your wish? RimWorld now has an iron man mode where you can only save on exit if I read the release notes correctly.

It doesn't change much tho, save scumming is pretty much the same in it. I guess people that used to alternate save play by play in combat cant do that anymore, cant think of other practical differences.

mumblemumble

Really don't see why this is a suggestion... Trying to make rng not be rng when people abuse rng sounds like such a pain to do without pissing in everyone elses corn flakes,  so I'm willing to bet this won't be added,  because it's such a small minority with a problem with this,  and can be resolved by voluntarily not save scumming.

-----