less random please

Started by windruf, January 30, 2014, 06:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windruf

testing the new version
biggest problem so far is to get some decent colonists, that will do work without exception.
can we PLEASE have the possibility to choose backgrounds, traits, gender, look. 

Jones-250

Just press the randomizer button enough and your wish will come true.
I, like many others, would not want the game to become a complete cakewalk. Allowing complete "build-your-own-team-from-scratch"-type of gameplay would damage the challenge and -infact- the whole concept of the game. Do we not enjoy playing due to the challenge? Isn´t the challenge the point?
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Galileus

Inb4: No, "don't like it, don't use it" is not an option. Very few games can walk away with players handicapping themselves, and this is only the case if players handicap themselves because they want to but don't need to. If players handicap themselves because they feel the game design is mistaken or because they cannot enjoy it properly otherwise, this is always a bad thing.

This is very much the case with being able to design your starting colonists perfectly. As long as the game is balanced around the concept of rolling random colonists, this would give you an amazing starting bonus.

theSovietConnection

The randomiser does seem less random now. I had to sift through about 20 noble-type colonists before I finally rolled a colonist that wasn't spec'd into the social skill.

As has been said though, RimWorld is very much about taking what you can get. I'd actually almost like to see a mode where you could hit the start button and it wouldn't even send you to the colonist screen, just send you to the planet without even seeing who you're gonna get until you land on the planet.

Tynan

Quote from: theSovietConnection on January 30, 2014, 10:56:41 AM
The randomiser does seem less random now. I had to sift through about 20 noble-type colonists before I finally rolled a colonist that wasn't spec'd into the social skill.

As has been said though, RimWorld is very much about taking what you can get. I'd actually almost like to see a mode where you could hit the start button and it wouldn't even send you to the colonist screen, just send you to the planet without even seeing who you're gonna get until you land on the planet.

I usually just click past the colonists; you don't have to read them before game start if you don't want to. The whole thing is designed so you can mash next and be playing in seconds.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

jsteele726

Quote from: windruf on January 30, 2014, 06:34:10 AM
testing the new version
biggest problem so far is to get some decent colonists, that will do work without exception.
can we PLEASE have the possibility to choose backgrounds, traits, gender, look.

It would definitely be interesting to see those features incorporated into the game, but any day of the week, I would much rather see those features have their development prolonged and extended to make sure we get the best versus rushing it out just to appease the masses. Too many gaming companies make this mistake and their products tend to suffer from it.

palandus

Well there is a more "balanced" way to do it for people to design their own characters. A point system. If you take things like Intellectual or Manual Dumb, you get more points to spend. If you remove points in a certain area, you have more points to spend.

Say all skills start at 4 and you have 5 points to allocate. If you reduce a skill by 1, you gain 1 more point. If you take a debility such as Intellectual, you get 2 points. That way you get what you want without being too overpowered.

Galileus

You still end up with 3 perfectly crafted colonists. That's the problem here - not the fact you could get "OP" colonists, but that you can balance your skills to boost your early game.

Shian

Quote from: theSovietConnection on January 30, 2014, 10:56:41 AM
Except it's currently really easy to end up with all 3 of your colonists not having cleaning or hauling meaning you'll be dead in a few cycles anyways. My current colony has ONE person out of 5 that can clean and he just got killed by a boom rat. I expect everyone to go insane and die any day now.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Galileus on January 30, 2014, 08:11:15 PM
You still end up with 3 perfectly crafted colonists. That's the problem here - not the fact you could get "OP" colonists, but that you can balance your skills to boost your early game.
Agree
No perfect colonists that is a huge part of teh game.

In RimWorld, your colonists are not professional settlers â€" they’re survivors from a crashed passenger liner. They'll be accountants, homemakers, journalists, cooks, nobles, urchins, and soldiers.
Case and point.

And yes, i would be in favor of adding a "full random" option where you can't even see who your colonists are until they crash.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Produno

Maybe this should be added to randy random (which is all i play btw). I prefer total randomness then seeing how you cope with it, isnt that the while point of rimworld? :).

Besides most things in life are pretty random and out of our control, so it makes it more realistic which for me makes it more fun and challenging. Hence why i only play randy ransom.

windruf

like Tynan said: if you need complete random, just press next.
i don't play to loose, so i prefer a well balanced team for start, which is now really hard to get. especially if you want a full female team.