Alpha 13 - components, how do you make them?

Started by Ronin Storm, April 06, 2016, 10:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronin Storm

Just started up my happy new colony and pretty quickly I've run out of the new components resource.  I've not enough to build the high-tech research bench.  How do I make new components?

I imagine I can trade for them, but I also anticipate that the comms device requires them and local/ground trade is very low tech.

Jaxxa

Making them is quite High tech / Late game.
The ground traders should still have some.

You can also deconstruct ship parts, mine them or build them:

ComponentAssembly (Research)  -> Build a ComponentAssemblyBench - > MakeComponent (From steel)

praguepride

I have also seen a new "wall mineral" called compacted or buried machinery. Digging this drops components as well.

Ronin Storm

Thanks guys.  I'll try the deconstruction and mining options.

Endoric

Omg sticky this. Number one driving me nuts question answered here!

Thanks

Memmaatre

Hi,

Edit: Now I have 70 components in store but they wont use it?!?

Earlier I just made a lot of turrets (I guess from steel only) but now it needs 3 components. I have tried to figure out what this resource is and how to get it by goooogleeee but I havenĀ“t found the answer. In this thread is it the same components we are talking about? Then it seems a bit hardcore to find at least around my current colony and its location.

:P Mem

Shurp

Yeah, sticky this; I didn't realize ship chunks were deconstructable.  I did find the mineable chunks though.  And good to know not to waste time trying to research manufacturing them early on.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Cimanyd

This is explained in the video (link to start of breakdown and component explanation), but not in the blog post aside from components being a new resource. From the video: They limit how much tech you can have until late in the game. You can deconstruct ship chunks, mine ancient compacted components, and just buy them, but you can't build them yourself without late-game research.

Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

funnyoliver

Yeah I found this pretty useful too thanks! Also I can't seem tot find compacted steel or any metal. Does anyone know where to get metal? It used to just stick out of the hills but now I can't see any. :|

Argelle

Quote from: Jaxxa on April 06, 2016, 10:41:52 PM
Making them is quite High tech / Late game.
The ground traders should still have some.

You can also deconstruct ship parts, mine them or build them:

ComponentAssembly (Research)  -> Build a ComponentAssemblyBench - > MakeComponent (From steel)

Could you tell me where to deconstruct ship chunck please ? I thought the ComponentAssemblyBench will do it but I have only one option, to craft components from steel, not to deconstruct ship chunck.

b0rsuk

Ship chunks are scattered randomly over the map. When you click on one, you see a 'deconstruct' icon.

Argelle

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 04, 2016, 05:09:55 AM
Ship chunks are scattered randomly over the map. When you click on one, you see a 'deconstruct' icon.
I feel silly not to think of it, as I went to all the benches and research to find an option :(
Thanks a lot, b0rsuk

hwfanatic

Making components is almost not worth it. The amount of material that goes in is ludicrous. Buy them off traders whenever you can and you should have a steady supply on average. Don't make so many automatic doors and you will be even better. Consider leaving doors open and making auto doors only on air-lock type connections. That leaves enough components for turbines, batteries, heaters, hydroponics, and turrets. :D

Only trade beacons require components to build - not the comms console.

tommonius

Oh my god thank-you so much, I thought I had to wait for trade ships to arrive and my colony grinded to a staggering halt needing coolers in a heatwave.

I salute you good sirs!