Cooking?

Started by DDog, January 30, 2014, 10:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDog

What exactly does the cooking skill do?  Do they just fill up hoppers?  btw..  seems like my guys spend an enormous amount of time hauling food to hoppers....

PhenomTaker

Yes, at the moment this skill does only that.
How many hoppers do you have? Maybe there are too many because the will fill up every one if it's not full. I'm going with 3 hoppers pretty well.

DDog

hmm... actually I started with 3 or 4... down I only use one.. maybe two in order to try to cut down on filling all of them...

ApexPredator

I use two hoppers and have removed the cooking skill from all but two people (also my indoor farmers). When everyone had the skill they would waste so much time hauling potatoes. Would like to see something added where they only haul when they reach a certain level (maybe a slider bar).

VeTaL

So, cooking is not working yet?
I mean, butcher's table and Cook stove are doing nothing in the current release, right?

DeMatt

Quote from: VeTaL on March 11, 2014, 08:12:51 PM
I mean, butcher's table and Cook stove are doing nothing in the current release, right?
The Cooking skill is indeed used by colonists working at the butcher's table and the cookstove, and you can butcher corpses and cook meals.

Pirx Danford

Eh I made the same mistake. You have to create "bills" to have the butchers and stonecutters table as well as the cook stove do anything. If you create a bill watch the range option, only within that range will resources be used.

letharion

Generic topic, so I don't think I'm derailing things here...

Does the actual cooking act, never actually increase the cooking skill level? Butchering seems to do, but cooking does not.

Semmy

Quote from: letharion on March 12, 2014, 05:26:47 AM
Generic topic, so I don't think I'm derailing things here...

Does the actual cooking act, never actually increase the cooking skill level? Butchering seems to do, but cooking does not.

There is a bug which is adressed that at high levels cooking decreases faster as it increases.

At low levels cooking does rise.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Alandil

I have checked with colonists at cooking levels 6 and 7 (and I think also at level 3) while cooking simple/fine meals respectively, while they were cooking ~10 meals in a row. The cooking leveling progress (number, not just the visual bar) did not increase by a single digit.

Since butchering does not happen very frequently, even though I had only two designated cooks doing all the work, were never able to raise their skills to level 7 to produce fine meals, until a slave trader sold me someone with high enough skill to do so.

VeTaL

Quote from: Pirx Danford on March 12, 2014, 04:41:22 AM

Eh I made the same mistake. You have to create "bills" to have the butchers and stonecutters table as well as the cook stove do anything. If you create a bill watch the range option, only within that range will resources be used.

Can you provide a bit more info? I have cooking table and provide it with electricity, where can i create those "bills"?

VeTaL

Ah, i found "Bills" menu. It is hidden quite good :)

VeTaL

Should i do something else?
I set up several guys as cookers, set infinite amount of food, but still see "some colonists are idling"

Monkfish

Quote from: VeTaL on March 12, 2014, 02:36:40 PM
I set up several guys as cookers, set infinite amount of food, but still see "some colonists are idling"
Just means they don't have any jobs to do, either because they haven't been assigned a particular task, or can't be assigned a task (check in overview), or they've completed all of them.
<insert witty signature here>

VeTaL

Quote from: Monkfish on March 12, 2014, 03:26:42 PM
Quote from: VeTaL on March 12, 2014, 02:36:40 PM
Just means they don't have any jobs to do, either because they haven't been assigned a particular task, or can't be assigned a task (check in overview), or they've completed all of them.

In this particular case i have 3 planters and 4 cookers due to Overview. I have a cooking table with infinite bills, electricity, tons of raw food, but 4 cookers are just idling.