a13: Quality of life recommendations

Started by entelin, April 07, 2016, 05:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entelin

Thanks for the great update, looking forward to starting a new game soon!

1. I'd really like to see some intelligence regarding weapons. If you send a handful of people out to hunt, chances are they come back with more holes in each other, than holes in what they were hunting.

2. Diagonal wall graphics. Pretty simple to implement, everything stays the same as it is now, but diagonal walls have diagonal graphics. See dwarf fortress tilesets for examples.

3. I'd really like to see some sort of plan carefully implemented into base game (yes I know of the mod). Having a randomize button for each character is really irritating design imo. The game is incentivising you to spam the random button on each character until you get some assemblance of a decent team, while at the same time disinsentivising those who like an all random challenge.

I would suggest having an "All Random" mode, where you have the option of naming your settlers, but then the game immediately starts with no chance of further customization, add in a steam achievement for launching a ship with this start as well. Then also a "Plan Carefully" mode which allows a point based distribution of settlers, skills, and resources, see Edb Plan Carefully mod for a pretty good example. I would further recommend to liberate colonist occupations & descriptions from fixed names and body shapes.

It really comes down to this: The infini-random button isn't fun for anyone.

entelin

For those against the plan carefully concept:

There's fun to be had with themed embarks. For example once I did a nudist colony on an ice sheet. Another of my playthrough's I did only sociopaths, which was hilarious because in my turret killzone I'd just never clean up the bodies, invaders would enter and go crazy, my surgeon got lots of practice ;) Another game I played through was "God save the queen", where one of the starting settlers did nothing but socialize, and live in her luxurious room.

Anyway, such a feature should be standard imo.

SirLeonardo

The diagonal could provide no cover too,will be exellent when you want to remove all cover that the raiders can use