Tynan, I swear to god

Started by Mathenaut, April 07, 2016, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathenaut

Story time:

This colony is a couple of weeks in. Not many people. The crash started with a scientist, her collector daughter, and a space drifter (with pet warg) to look after them. We were later joined by an 81 year old nudist war veteran (high skills, but bad back/scars/etc that defeat the point) that literally just up and walked in.

Not many defenses up, but I've good people that can handle the raid that comes in. Might be trouble with that bow, but we'll see.

Suddenly, help arrives. Like.. heavy-duty help from another colony. These guys are loaded for bear and ready to tear ass. Figured it was just rng doing it's thing and didn't question it.

Then I took another look at the leader. That last name looked familiar..

Yeah, that's the leader of the neighboring colony, and he's here to save his wife.

Tynan you madman tell me you didn't explicitly script this. Is this the work of your story generator? This is better than alot of stuff on TV.

Travinsky

Its been a fantastic update in my opinion.

One of my colonists sustained a severe head injury that left him in a vegetative state and I had to decide whether to euthanize him, harvest his organs for colonists that needed them, or hold out in case there had been updates to the medical treatments in this game that could actually fix him. To make matters more tense, his fiance was the only doctor in our colony so she would have been forced to carry out any operations on him.

Mood was low so I kept him in the vegetative state, not risking lowering morale by killing him or harvesting his organs. Of course, it didn't matter in the end when insects overran the place.

Another time, a poison ship landed and when I initially attacked in the mechanoids spawn and I was forced to retreat behind the colony wall. Another faction came to my aid which surprised me given I hadn't made any close allies yet. One of the members of the response party turned out to be an ex-lover of one of my colonists. I'm not sure if that was the cause of the response but I like to imagine he was trying to redeem himself in her eyes... I let them attack and watched them die (I didn't have the manpower to help).

Some fantastic stories so far.

Tynan

I am very happy to hear the story generator is working well!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vault101

@Tynan It would be great if family members of current colonists would get instantly recruited by their family wardening them. It would encourage family getting reunited type of stories

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Vault101 on April 08, 2016, 02:07:53 PM
@Tynan It would be great if family members of current colonists would get instantly recruited by their family wardening them. It would encourage family getting reunited type of stories

Great idea, or at least a huge bonus to recruiting.

mumblemumble

I personally find it interesting that a pessimistic pair of lovers have stronger wills than an optimistic single person..

This makes me want to protect them so bad.

Though just a thought tynan,  perhaps deep conversations,  flirting, and other big social interactions should briefly pause colonists in place.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Matthiasagreen

If you crash land with a group of people and become part of their group, would you automatically join a group that your family member has joined? Especially if your group considers that group an enemy group. What if they killed some of your new friends in the process? They had to kidnap you in order for you to be in the recruiting situation. Also who is to say that you should leave your group? Why can't your family member join your group?

Doesn't seem as straight forward as one would think.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on April 08, 2016, 03:25:58 PM

If you crash land with a group of people and become part of their group, would you automatically join a group that your family member has joined? Especially if your group considers that group an enemy group. What if they killed some of your new friends in the process? They had to kidnap you in order for you to be in the recruiting situation. Also who is to say that you should leave your group? Why can't your family member join your group?

Doesn't seem as straight forward as one would think.

I would agree with that thinking, while bonds of blood are strong, bonds of friendship can be stronger.
Life is Strange

BlackSmokeDMax

Agreed, that is why I thought maybe a huge bonus (or maybe just some bonus) to recruit. But if it is not enough to overcome opposing faction ties, so be it.

Bob_Namg

Quote from: Tynan on April 08, 2016, 01:39:11 PM
I am very happy to hear the story generator is working well!
You ought to expand foreigner colony generation and events Tynan. Add in the ability for colonies to be nations with multiple towns, maybe make 'borders' on the map where if you're close to a town they'll have a higher chance of interacting in both positive and negative ways.
Like imagine if you could use that councilman husband to gain favor in their colonial hierarchy or send resources to fund a war or something.
Man that brings even more ideas forth like a revision of diplomacy to where advanced civilizations declare war before raiding while unfriendly tribals are always at war until appeased or maybe wandering troop transports from some distant colony drop a bunch of marines who secure a landing somewhere and fight with the natives including your colony.

tl;dr: Huge ramble that should really go in Suggestions
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France