Can I change "Fall" to "Autumn"?

Started by MeGrrrr, April 08, 2016, 01:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeGrrrr

Folks,
I appreciate that North America mostly calls the season Autumn "Fall", however it really does my head in. With the new seasonal model for the time of year I find it frustrating. Is there a config file where I can change it?

skullywag

this should be in the translatables, along with "pants".
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JonoRig

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

MeGrrrr

Thanks Skullwag,
file was under Mods/Core/Languages/English/Keyed, and the file was Time.XML

Changed and fixed!

So now to fix trousers, spuds, and so many others to make it really "English"  ;D

Coenmcj

Cheers mate
Never understood why the Americans went and changed all that lot around, perfectly fine where it was. Oh well.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Listy

Least the date was the right way around previously.

But yeah, localisation such as "Armour Vests" would be nice.

kahlzun

+1 for being exactly what i needed!
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

Mikhail Reign

Ugh the American date system is something I've just never understood. I mean Day-Month-Year; that makes sense right? At the most basically it's small medium large. But for some strange reason they do Month-Day-Year. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they prefer that system.

Tynan

You could even make a translation for British English if you want. The translation system would totally support it.

Though I'm sorry the default English language uses the Union Jack :p It didn't seem right to use an American flag, especially considering I talk like this and I'm not American.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Somebody should just make a translation for Klingon.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

RazorHed

The reason we changed it I think is because Brits are EVIL ! And we wanted to differentiate ourselves from them. :)   OOH  you say you aren't evil?  Who but an evil person could come up with something as terrible as DR Who??  Alumineeyum !!! 

Just kidding , but not really as I am pretty sure that's why these spellings etc were changed. Because back after we won independence we wanted to be different because those guys kinda thought Brits were bad.  I like Brits ! well the women folk anyways haha:)

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Tynan on May 11, 2016, 08:15:46 PM
You could even make a translation for British English if you want. The translation system would totally support it.

Though I'm sorry the default English language uses the Union Jack :p It didn't seem right to use an American flag, especially considering I talk like this and I'm not American.

I'm Australian and I don't spell like a yank :P. Def should use the American flag if it uses the wrong American English spellings.

Would very much like an English translation tho.

JonoRig

Or the Canadian one :p

Then we can have our own language with our flag haha

firescythe

I had english lessons since I was 7 and went on with secondary school 8 lessons /week, then took part in international youth trainings from participant to supervisor - communication only in english...Trust me :D

American english is just lazy and wanted as much simplicity as possible. It is not a black-or-white good or bad thing. This is a big advantage to become widely "spoken" language. Brittish english - what a surprise - is much more locked on traditions, and so keeping on formalities even if it makes challenging to use. So "optimal" for RimWorld would be between the two: diverse words to have one meaning by one word, but simple enough to stay simple and straightforward

So Autumn would fit, no matter if it is canonized brittish word or a trend from any decade of american history.