Does the relationships system conflict with RimWorld lore?

Started by Dr. Z, April 08, 2016, 04:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devon_v

Yeah, chronological age just means how many years have passed since that character's birth. I had a colonist who was like 27 (4978), and that cryptosleep time could easily have been multiple voyages. If Fry and Leela crashed on your planet he'd have more cyptosleep time logged, but they'd certainly know each other well.

Shurp

Well if we're going to use cryptosleep to explain this, let's go all the way.  How about a colonist getting a visit from his great-great grandson who's 30 years older than him?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mikhail Reign

So they joined the raiders over night? Thats my point. If you use the whole 'You pods landed later, thats why other family members are already in factions' argument, that means that ALL your starting colonists have to have cyro time already in the bank to give them the required time for the earlier crashed pods to have integrated with their faction.

I get why everyone misunderstood what I said - talking about time travel (essentially what cryo is, except only in one direction).

Lets say you have 3 starting colonists.

Colonist 1: 25 yo, 0 cryo years
Colonist 2: 40 yo, 400 cyro years
Colonist 3: 20 yo, 10 cyro years

This means that the starship exploded recently - within the last year, since one of the colonist has no cyro time. This mean that any family members that they meet on the planet also landed within the last year regardless of their cryo time. The person with the lowest cryo time dictates WHEN the ship crashed.

So to get around this, lets give all your starting colonists at least 10 years cyro time when they land. This means the ship would have crashed anywhere between 0 to 10 years ago, and they have spend the interregnum floating in space. Ok that gets rid of one can of worms.

Enter new can.

Colonist 1: 25 yo, 10 cryo years
Colonist 2: 40 yo, 410 cyro years
Colonist 3: 20 yo, 20 cyro years

Colonists 1's raider wife: 18 yo, 2 cryo years

After landing, a raid occurs and colonist ones Wife appears - sweet! Reunion! Now since she has only been in cyro 2 years, this again sets in stone a few timeline points. She either banked the cyro time before the crash, and she landed when her husband did, joined a different faction and then willingly took up arms against him within a year, or she spend a maximum of 2 years floating in space before crashing to the planet. Or some kinda of combination of the both. This means she has spend somewhere between 0 to 8 years living on the planet. This also means that they were married when she was aged between 10 and 18.

Now imagine if you gave them both a child with no time on the cyro clock?

See what I mean? The only real way around this time traveling can of worms is to just give everyone 10 years or so on the clock to give everything some wiggle room.

Shurp

Why not do Pandorum and give everyone 1000 years on the clock?

*Everyone* on the planet is decended from the spaceship :)  The tribals were just the first to land...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Shurp on April 08, 2016, 09:36:46 PM
Why not do Pandorum and give everyone 1000 years on the clock?

*Everyone* on the planet is decended from the spaceship :)  The tribals were just the first to land...

I actually REALLY dig that.

AllenWL

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 08, 2016, 06:32:09 PM
Quote from: Tynan on April 08, 2016, 12:37:14 PM
Quote from: falconbunker on April 08, 2016, 10:54:10 AM
I'd like to think that maybe the starship that you were in was first diverted off course by some stellar event, like asteroids, which damaged the ships AI and forced it way off course, it then enters orbit of the crash planet and then sections of it catastrophically fail. These sections wouldn't fail at the same time, maybe even have hundreds of years between each failure, allowing the colonies and tribes that we encounter on the planet to actually be there

Bingo. The brother could be from your ship. Except his pod orbited for 10 less years for whatever reason before crashing.

Cryptosleep, man. Cryptosleep.

Shouldn't this means your starting 3 colonists should all start with a few years (all equal or higher then each other) on their cryo clocks?

Also the can of worms that makes for time times. You couldn't have a starting colonist married to a a raider if one of your other starting colonists Didn't have any cryo time.

But who say's the starting colonists all entered cryptosleep at the same time? All we know is they awoke to sirens and ran to the nearest escape pods. For all we know, one of your starting colonists might as well be from a different ship and had their pod crash into the ship the other colonists where on, which caused the ship to break apart, which had them all land.

JonoRig

Also, just because "we know" that colonist x is married to raider y, it doesn't nessecarily mean that either side know who they're fighting initially once the gunfight starts, I'm sure who you're shooting in the face isn't as pressing as "shoot him before he kills me"  and as a raider /pirate faction how do you know she isn't being made to fight? Captured and enslaved. It's all about your own creativity and suspension of disbelief  not to say your opinion isn't valid that they should be more consistent with crypto sleep times, just saying until they can be made more so, as I'm sure it's not top of Dev priority if on it at all, you can fill in the gaps however you like

Mathenaut

To be honest, the way these relationships crop up gives Rimworld a sort of 'Twilight Zone' level of twist to the stories. I think it's perfect.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: AllenWL on April 09, 2016, 03:02:12 AM
I'd like to think that maybe the starship that you were in was first diverted off course by some stellar event, like asteroids, which damaged the ships AI and forced it way off course, it then enters orbit of the crash planet and then sections of it catastrophically fail. These sections wouldn't fail at the same time, maybe even have hundreds of years between each failure, allowing the colonies and tribes that we encounter on the planet to actually be there

Bingo. The brother could be from your ship. Except his pod orbited for 10 less years for whatever reason before crashing.

Shouldn't this means your starting 3 colonists should all start with a few years (all equal or higher then each other) on their cryo clocks?

Also the can of worms that makes for time times. You couldn't have a starting colonist married to a a raider if one of your other starting colonists Didn't have any cryo time.

But who say's the starting colonists all entered cryptosleep at the same time? All we know is they awoke to sirens and ran to the nearest escape pods. For all we know, one of your starting colonists might as well be from a different ship and had their pod crash into the ship the other colonists where on, which caused the ship to break apart, which had them all land.

Ty did. I'm not talking about the cyro time on the ship before the crash. I'm talking about the cyro time in the escape pods while they were waiting to deorbit, as Ty said in the post I quoted.

Unless your suggesting that all the family members you encounter in the game were in different ships, on trips that started at different time, and all happened to crash into each other around a planet in the middle of no where.

Shurp

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 09, 2016, 07:20:40 AMUnless your suggesting that all the family members you encounter in the game were in different ships, on trips that started at different time, and all happened to crash into each other around a planet in the middle of no where.

Bermuda Rimworld :)

AllenWL

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 09, 2016, 07:20:40 AM
Quote from: AllenWL on April 09, 2016, 03:02:12 AM

Ty did. I'm not talking about the cyro time on the ship before the crash. I'm talking about the cyro time in the escape pods while they were waiting to deorbit, as Ty said in the post I quoted.

Unless your suggesting that all the family members you encounter in the game were in different ships, on trips that started at different time, and all happened to crash into each other around a planet in the middle of no where.
Didn't read the second page of comments... woops?

Well, even before relationships, the chronological clock thing was kinda weird. One example being a tribal, who's backstory states they where born and raised a tribal, having a extremely old chronological age, meaning they where born raised in a primitive tribe before somehow boarding a spaceship for extended periods of time then landing back on a planet to join a primitive tribe... all within 19 years of life. Either that, or they found an abandoned crytosleep casket and climbed in for a (not-so) short nap.
Also, it should possible to have a chronological age which is lower than their biological age, for some backstories(like vat-grown pawns and such) but they don't, which means every one of those colonists had excessive space-travel, and never crashed until their chronological age had at the very least caught up with their biological age.

In my opinion, relationships just made the chronological/biological age thing more obviously weird.
Personally, I'd prefer to do away with chronological age and just go with the biological one, with the chronological age left open for us to imagine.