Does the relationships system conflict with RimWorld lore?

Started by Dr. Z, April 08, 2016, 04:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

So we're crash landed on a mostly uninhabited planet at the edge of the known galaxy. What is the possibility that all of the sudden the brother of one of our colonists walks in and turns out to be stranded on that exact planet some time in the past. Alongside with the facts that the colonists may have spend the last two hundred years in cryptosleep, that humanity spread out across the galaxy and that there's no way to travel faster than light, I think it's nearly impossible to find family members on some random planet you happen to come by on your journey (in fact it even surprises me that there are other people in the first place, but that's a different story). If this is not some Bermuda triangle thing where all the ships entering the system get destroyed for some reason I don't see how this makes sense.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Shinzy

Nanvi

The same ship i guess? When you begin you don't get to know how many people were on the ship, do you? You don't know how big your ship was and i think assume that our 3 people are the only survivors, but that's how i think about it, since Rimworld is in alpha the 'plot/lore' can happen to have some holes.

skullywag

you also dont know why you were heading into this area of space either. The point is its up to you to make these stories.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JonoRig

I always liked to assume it was a large ship and that my three landed in the area I choose, but survivors are scattered all over the planet, some join the pirates or other towns for safety or by force, and tribals are people who crashed in the past.

Also, as they technically aren't meant to be colonising thay planet, I also like to assume it's some kind of space Bermuda triangle, or swarming with those mechanoids, bringing all the these ships down without mercy.... 

But thats just me

Headshotkill

I'd imagine most families wouldn't get too split up in this universe, why would one brother leave his home-planet to travel to the other side of the galaxy? (It would be the same as him dying for the family members cause of the thousand years he'll spend in coma. They will never see each other alive.)

So I guess families would most likely stay relativly close together, probably in the same star-system for most part. Then there's the question why our colonists were in a ship flying out near the rim of the galaxy. Except for colonisation or resource gathering from new planets there isn't much point in being out here, better go to the center of the galaxy with all those glitter-worlds, no?

Well, I think the main point here again is family cohesion, the family most likely lived near the rim for a long time or maybe they don't have the money to travel to the center, and they just stick to it.

Listy

This was one of the things that was bugging me. Especially when I rolled one colonist who was the son of a tribal group on the planet.

RawCode

watch this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/

ark type spaceship crashed on orbit, escape pods still raining from sky and will rain for ages, some colonists escaped now, other escaped years before, some will escape years later.

falconbunker

I'd like to think that maybe the starship that you were in was first diverted off course by some stellar event, like asteroids, which damaged the ships AI and forced it way off course, it then enters orbit of the crash planet and then sections of it catastrophically fail. These sections wouldn't fail at the same time, maybe even have hundreds of years between each failure, allowing the colonies and tribes that we encounter on the planet to actually be there

Negocromn

I was thinking the same thing as the OP haha. These posts convinced me tho, the whole situation sounds reasonable now I guess.

Quote from: JonoRig on April 08, 2016, 05:53:04 AM
I always liked to assume it was a large ship and that my three landed in the area I choose, but survivors are scattered all over the planet, some join the pirates or other towns for safety or by force, and tribals are people who crashed in the past.

Also, as they technically aren't meant to be colonising thay planet, I also like to assume it's some kind of space Bermuda triangle, or swarming with those mechanoids, bringing all the these ships down without mercy.... 

But thats just me

Quote from: RawCode on April 08, 2016, 06:26:14 AM
watch this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/

ark type spaceship crashed on orbit, escape pods still raining from sky and will rain for ages, some colonists escaped now, other escaped years before, some will escape years later.

Quote from: falconbunker on April 08, 2016, 10:54:10 AM
I'd like to think that maybe the starship that you were in was first diverted off course by some stellar event, like asteroids, which damaged the ships AI and forced it way off course, it then enters orbit of the crash planet and then sections of it catastrophically fail. These sections wouldn't fail at the same time, maybe even have hundreds of years between each failure, allowing the colonies and tribes that we encounter on the planet to actually be there

Tynan

Bingo. The brother could be from your ship. Except his pod orbited for 10 less years for whatever reason before crashing.

Cryptosleep, man. Cryptosleep.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

falconbunker

One of my posts posts was quoted by the all powerful Tynan! The void gods have answered my prayers!

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Tynan on April 08, 2016, 12:37:14 PM

Bingo. The brother could be from your ship. Except his pod orbited for 10 less years for whatever reason before crashing.

Shouldn't this means your starting 3 colonists should all start with a few years (all equal or higher then each other) on their cryo clocks?

Also the can of worms that makes for time times. You couldn't have a starting colonist married to a a raider if one of your other starting colonists Didn't have any cryo time.

Bob_Namg

Maybe your brother was on the same ship you came from during the crash.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

falconbunker

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 08, 2016, 06:32:09 PM
Quote from: Tynan on April 08, 2016, 12:37:14 PM

Shouldn't this means your starting 3 colonists should all start with a few years (all equal or higher then each other) on their cryo clocks?

Also the can of worms that makes for time times. You couldn't have a starting colonist married to a a raider if one of your other starting colonists Didn't have any cryo time.

The raider could have been on your ship, but the drop pod that they were in dropped the, somewhere else, and for the issue of different cryogenic times, it could just be that the raider was in stasis before meeting the husband/wife, spent enough time with them to get married, and then they both boarded the doomed ship.