[a13] Balance gone a bit off?

Started by dangordon, April 08, 2016, 08:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangordon

I had a quick play last night. not a great fan of how slow everything gets done from 3 colonists and normally i use prepare better to generate about 10 blokes, have some good fights etc.

so yesterday on a13 started off with the 3 blokes, generated another 7 with dev console. spawned some weapons but nothing ott. from that I had 4 gun nuts, 5 knifey knifeys and one hippy pacifict wuss. playing happily then the raids start.

raid1: 1 bloke
raid2: maybe 8 blokes, a couple of snipers though made it a bit tough
raid3: about 15 of them. one of them looked like a suicide bomber coming straight at us, at least 2 maybe 3 snipers then a triple rocket launcher to the face. mashed 2/3rds of my blokes straight away.

playtime at that point use just over an hour. played on default storyteller and 2nd option down as have previously. Have played for hours previously at this level on this setup and never had that level of extreme overpoweredness.

Mkok

Maybe this is because you used dev mode?

I havent got that far in A13 yet, but it seems you can craft your own weapons now, after some research. At the point where you have 10 colonists you should have no problems with equipping everyone with high quality, self-made rifles, with nearly 100% hit chance. And based on my experience with mods allowing this in A12, it is OP like hell.

As for me, so far I had 4 raids, each had 1 more raider then the previous. All were pretty easy.

makapse

at 6 men after 1 year, i faced a 15 man tribal , extreme randy so a 10 man casandra should give a 8-10 man pirate as my pirates were 6men just before the tribal raid

Limdood

i've gone thru about 10 raids...none posed much problem using defenses and cover (no turrets)....though a jailbreak of 3 unarmed prisoners did kill my 7 man assault rifle/sniper/plasteel gladius colony...

RemingtonRyder

Increasing your colonist count does mean you'll face raids with more points.

dangordon

i tried again earlier... same setup, spawned another 7 blokes at start. this time they were almost all gun nuts.

built more defences. spawned better weapons for my blokes. even before raids started people were going bezerk. had a bloke everybody hated. yes i was building stuff for happiness - as much as you can early in the game.

pychic drone starts... two more go bezerk. now lets hit you with a raid... playtime less than 45 mins.

The only story its telling me is something about ramming something where the sun don't shine.

dont get a great deal of time to play so messing about with like 3 or 4 blokes is super boring (especially sitting here watching them sleep for x minutes a day) thats why i generate a crowd of 10. as it is now i'm giving up for this revision.

Tynan

If you're messing with dev tools, the game will be unbalanced.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

sadpickle

Quote from: dangordon on April 08, 2016, 06:47:44 PM
i tried again earlier... same setup, spawned another 7 blokes at start. this time they were almost all gun nuts.

built more defences. spawned better weapons for my blokes. even before raids started people were going bezerk. had a bloke everybody hated. yes i was building stuff for happiness - as much as you can early in the game.

pychic drone starts... two more go bezerk. now lets hit you with a raid... playtime less than 45 mins.

The only story its telling me is something about ramming something where the sun don't shine.

dont get a great deal of time to play so messing about with like 3 or 4 blokes is super boring (especially sitting here watching them sleep for x minutes a day) thats why i generate a crowd of 10. as it is now i'm giving up for this revision.
Perhaps you'd enjoy the game more if you were not spawning stuff in with dev tools? People tend to appreciate less that which they do not earn. If you're bored there's always the fast-forward button.

A Friend

Well you could try toning down the difficulty.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

keylocke

like what they said. number of colonists increases the raid difficulty. (same thing happens when you spam turrets)

if you spawn like 7 dudes out of nowhere with low skills and lacking equipment you're gonna face a huge spike in difficulty instead of the gradual progression of difficulty when you don't cheat. (unless you go randy.)

randy is a troll. randy is the kind of guy where when you're running for dear life from a manhunter warg pack, that is when he suddenly throws in a muscle parasite on your ass. lel.

AllenWL

It's probably due to the large spike in population and the weapons, which increased your wealth, thus increasing difficulty.
The need for an extra resource(and component's aren't cheap either), and possible changes of the market price of items might have made a difference too.

Also, starting colonists have a 'crashed together' social buff so they're less likely to get into fights, which I'm guessing the seven spawned colonists didn't.
Add the fact that some traits give negative social buffs(lazy vs hard worker, ugly, chemical interest vs teetotaler), it's not surprising people started fighting. Also, joy structures isn't a fail-safe for mental breaks, and they don't do a thing about social fights either, so there's that as well.