Issue with coolers not cooling during a heat wave

Started by nuschler22, August 15, 2016, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

Coolers don't overcool. They're either on, in which case they'll cool exactly the right amount to bring the room to the correct temperature, up to their capacity limit, or idle, in which case they don't cool at all. So setting their target temperature lower than they can possibly meet will help get the most cooling out of them when they have excess capacity to "save up" for the times when they fall short (e.g. when the freezer door is open), but at the cost of preventing them from ever idling. So you should only see a significant difference between setting them to -70 instead of -20 when they're right on the edge of being sufficient, or for very small rooms that lose most of their cooling between cooler cycles.

jjcondon: it would be good if you can share a save (from before you replaced the mountain tiles). It's not supposed to work that way, and it's much easier to find the cause of bugs when you have an example to look at.

Shurp

Or you can use multiple coolers with different temperature settings.  On a warm map my freezers have three coolers, one set to -4, -5, and -6.  When it's cold one is enough to keep the room frozen.  When it warms up the other two kick in to provide additional support.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Drazhya

Haven't read the whole thread, but I had a similar issue. Five coolers at full blast were struggling massively to bring the temperature down. Some time later I did some renovations. Where before the freezer walls were made of a mix of steel, slate, granite, sandstone and wood, they were converted to full slate (inside walls) and granite (outside walls). No more cooling problems during heat waves, and in general it was staying cold much better.

Don't know what the problem was. First guess is that the steel walls - which were present on the map before I arrived - weren't insulating properly. Second guess is, I dunno, wood doesn't work well? Or some very obscure error, I guess.