How is the pacing in Alpha 13 Cassandra Classic?

Started by Tynan, April 08, 2016, 10:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How is the pacing (density of events) in Alpha 13 Cassandra Classic?

Way too fast, I'm overwhelmed by stuff happening all the time.
A bit too fast. I feel overwhelmed pretty often and wish there was more time to chill.
Just about right. Stuff happens, and it can get hectic, but there's also room to breathe.
Too slow. Stuff happens, but the game drags while I wait for the next event sometimes.
Way too slow. I'm frequently waiting for another event to spice things up.

Rahjital

Cassandra is still hugely random at times. I got four raids in my first 8 days of Cassie Challenge, that was pretty rough and I honestly thought that was the end. But after that, I got good twenty days without any raids at all, just with a few psychic waves and manhunter packs. And then, another manhunter pack immediatelly followed by a raid, and after that, malaria outbreak at the same time a raid came. Aside from that it was great, though, periods of peace followed by events that actually threatened to end the colony.

So, apart from the ludicrously short spacing between some bad events, it's been pretty good so far.

christhekiller

Another thing that seems to be happening. I have a colony currently on basebuilder difficulty because I want to build a base. And an issue I'm running into is that mechanical stuff breaks down so often. I've had maybe two blights but I've had to of sunk more components into repairing broken down equipment than I have in actually building all the equipment at this point.

Speeny

The one other problem is i went something like 3 seasons with no trade ships coming by after I had built my beacon and communicator it was kinda rough as I eventually ran outta supply's.

keylocke

Quote from: Limdood on April 09, 2016, 01:14:41 PM
cassandra classic seems fine....i could see it being a little slow, or a little fast depending on the colonists, so it feels right.

seems fast in the beginning, but for late colonies, having high wealth, the raid size can make the slower seeming events feel appropriate, because it will take a lot of recovery time.

the trick to keeping wealth low is managing your stockpiles.

ie : the stockpile for expensive goods are deleted and only created again prior to trading.

Captain Sho

The pacing it pretty dam good but i do not wanna say perfect because it could use a little bit more breathing room here and there. I felt like i was constantly rushing to get things done. I also found myself micromanaging my people alot more trying to get specific tasks done before getting smacked by the next wave of raiders.

brucethemoose

Quote from: Shurp on April 09, 2016, 06:51:44 PM
But... centipedes can't hit turrets.  So once your colonists take out the scythers, let the turrets finish the job.

(At least they couldn't in a12, I haven't run into any yet in a13)

Centipedes won't follow you to your turrets though. They just guard the ship until it's destroyed.

So the other option is to set up turrets + power next to the ship, but that's difficult for an early colony.

Panzer

Yeah well traders seem to be very rare, although I like that, and that breakdown event fires too often. Does it fire more when toxic fallout is going on? Having a fallout since 3 days now, and had the breakdown event fire like 5 times during that.

Fruit loops

This may just be me, but on my current colony (Cassandra on challenge) there have been quite large gaps in between events.

My play-style is quite slow, making sure everything's mirrored, my colonists have the best available equipment, micro-managing things to stupid levels, etc. That might attribute to the delays between action, but I played in this fashion during alpha 12 and it seemed to be much more fast paced.

In my opinion there should be more 'smaller' events that keep your attention between 'larger' events.

More eclipse/short circuit type events instead of larger sapper/siege editions would be a welcomed change. (IMO)
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Draxis

I have been playing on Cassandra Rough and it's been good thus far. My only complaint is that I feel that trade ships could come more frequently. I started a new game because I thought it was broken at some point. The ships were still pretty rare and then became more common once I passed my first winter. Not sure if that's intentional or not, just wanted to flag it. All in all, the update's looking great!