Reattaching minor body bits?

Started by AllenWL, April 09, 2016, 08:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aarkreinsil

Quote from: Kluge on April 17, 2016, 09:05:06 AM
Would probably be more believable and intuitive if the social debuff were scaled way back and it becomes a significant mood issue for the affected colonist. I was kind of surprised ugly people don't seem to have any self-esteem issues even though everyone explicitly dislikes them for being so damn ugly.

Father +20
Ugly -30

Nuff said xD

Kluge

Quote from: Aarkreinsil on April 17, 2016, 09:09:37 AM
Would probably be more believable and intuitive if the social debuff were scaled way back and it becomes a significant mood issue for the affected colonist. I was kind of surprised ugly people don't seem to have any self-esteem issues even though everyone explicitly dislikes them for being so damn ugly.

Father +20
Ugly -30

Nuff said xD
lol - this might be a good time for some satire mods. Maybe raiders maintain an 10-tile distance from ugly people so they don't have to see them as clearly, and shooting accuracy is significantly reduced against ugly people due to the inability to look at them for too long. Re-word the events so they seem to be the result of ugly colonists... cause plants to die around the ugly colonist.... Oh! Paper bag surgery mod -- they actually get a bag grafted onto their face!

I was amused when I had a beautiful male land whale... He'd just walk around naked every day and get all the ladies. I was getting jealous, so we ate him. :o

Fungus

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 17, 2016, 08:38:20 AM
I think disfigured should only effect mating attractions,  if that,  and like someone said,  scars can be viewed as cool. Just scars though.
Nah. It's all really complex. I find the beautiful / ugly traits already detract from the personality of the character as it's all a matter of opinion anyway. With the social effects it just makes the colonists look like sheep. An 'impression' statistic would be better, signifying how positively / negatively a colonist simply feels about another. There's no need to explain further. You could even have the same effects and it wouldn't feel as bad.

Though using the traits to mess with attraction would really bug me. My first crush had pretty bad burn scars, my second was born with half a right arm. I'm also attracted to people who aren't disfigured or conventionally ugly, but it all comes down to personality. Ugliness and beauty stem from that, at least for me. An old manager of mine had terrible psoriasis but it was their personality that was shockingly foul.

All that being said I've never played a game where the personality side felt right. Except Katawa Shoujo and Cantr, but those are a lot easier to get right. Full storytelling or full role play.

mumblemumble

actually this reminds me.  What the actual fuck happened to mood bonuses / hits from chats /insults? Seriously,  this pisses me off as i would think great friends in a fight together would be stronger willed from the deep talks they have,  and an insult to someone who lost his dog might push him over the edge.  Especially with relationships,  this feels like a step back.  Granted,  there were several steps forward,  but its still a step back.

This way ugly wouldn't be just few friends,  but being on edge for being teased.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.