Planting Forests

Started by Nickvr628, April 09, 2016, 10:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickvr628

So normally I would scoff at the idea of planting trees with the growing zones, as they take too long to grow and I can just cut trees that grow in the wild. But in my current map in the arid shrublands, all the trees died and the rest of the plants were eaten by herds of elephants. I realized I would not be able to have any wood for my colony, so I made a massive growing zone for trees outside my walls. It is still growing, and will probably take about 30 more days to finish, but I will have a TON of wood once I harvest it all.

Anyone else plant forests to boost your wood production? I think it will be a good strategy for endgame, and I can sell it for silver.

Shurp

I prefer planting hops, making beer, selling beer, and buying wood.

Especially since it's hard to plant trees on ice sheets...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

i use tree zones on arid, desert, and tundra when i play....i also prioritize wood and steel when buying from traders

Robovski

I plant patches of trees either out of need or for convenience. If the local trees are depeted I don't want to cross the map for my lumber and now fuel. I plant haygrass plots for much the same reasoning.

MsMeiriona

There's plenty of good from re-foresting, but raiders will burn your tree crops just like any others. One massive forest is less my strategy than a few long 1-wide rows spaced out. Safer.