Building a freezer in a mountain base

Started by FurkanYL, April 09, 2016, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FurkanYL

Hello all, I am playing Rimworld for 1-2 weeks. I have builded my base outdoors for sometime, but mortar sieges is completely destroying me so I started a mountain base. Question is, how can i build a freezer without making the base volatile to digger ( miner ) raids? The exhaust area is not enough to cool the fridge. Is there some trick I can do? ( Cant deroof zone because game says thick roof cant be deleted.)
Thanks in advance.

Innese

Depends on the region. In a colder area you could possible just get away with not putting in any cooling in the freezer and it would just stay cold enough. Otherwise you'd just have to dig out a little cave next to it and have the exhaust venting into the cave. Or you could use the exhaust to heat your base instead to some extent.

Nickvr628

I dig an exhaust shaft than seal it with vents so no one can get in. I am always afraid a sapper or someone will manage to break in through it and I will be defenseless.

Devon_v

By design there's no such thing as an impenetrable base.

Sapper can be countered by NOT building an entirely underground base with a killbox entrance. If portions of your base are above ground sappers have trouble finding a good entry point. Seiges are countered by taking the fight to them. Get some snipers or just decent shots with automatic weapons and pick at them from maximum range. They won't counter attack immediately as their top priority is building the mortars. One you take out one or two they'll abandon the seige and make a normal raid attack, at which point you can return to base and do whatever you usually do.

Don't be afraid to actually use some pawns in combat, it's not a tower defense game.

Shabazza

You could build a shaft that can be secured with a couple of doors in case of a raid.
Or you can try to make a larger empty room for the "warm" area of the cooler.
This room will get hot, because it's enclosed. But the cooler will work.
How good it will work, depends on the size of the exhaust room. I actually never tried this myself with an enclosed room at the warm part... but it's worth a try.
With the new "deep room" mechanic, this should work even better than before, as the exhaust room will receive this new cooling bonus deep in the mountain.

Lys

I usually build a freezer for (herbal) medicine in my base, connected to such an "exhaust" room. The exhaust room has about ~36 tiles and always stays at a decent 60-70° C which would make it still passable by pawns if necessary and most importantly, nothing starts catching fire.

TitaniumTurtle

I generally build an additional wall within my base so that the sappers and such are still directed toward the main entrance. I would put your exhaust shaft behind your main defense. That way it wont change whether or not the attackers attack that area. If you have a layer of turrets, then a wall with openings, then a gap before your actual outer wall you can put an exhaust port that goes directly through the outer wall into the gap, and it's still secure because the attackers will have to go through the turrets either way and are more likely to go for the door rather than the vent if they manage to get that far.

Mkok

I usually just pump the heat straight into my base, and then have another cooler pump it outside near the entrance. It is a bit more costly, but it works pretty well.

As for my current game, I was lucky and found a large open area when digging into the cave, so I build few 'chimneys' pumping the heat out through there. If you dig around, there should be few open areas inside the mountain, they can be used as 'secure' heat exhausts.