Cougar Attack

Started by gazdac, April 09, 2016, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazdac

Only took 5 seconds, guess there was nothing else on the map to eat. Only a lucky shot from someone else's pistol saved him.
The first time I'm ever tempted to euthanize a colonist.

Poor Leroy.

Innese

I'd say toss him in a cryptosleep casket if you the research/resources

Mathenaut

Yeah. The thing that makes those animals so dangerous is that they can stun their targets in melee (seriously, wtf). So they essentially just heap loads of damage onto a target that can't fight back.

I can barely do that with high melee and plasteel weapons. Wtf are those animals made of?

gazdac

Yeah he had 8 melee, a shotgun, and was on fight back mode. He still didn't stand a chance.
Cryptosleep... hah! season 2 of year 1. He now makes stone blocks that others carry to him, and hobbles from there to his bed.

Panzer

The melee stun only happens when you re considered prey, afaik. But yeah dont underestimate those critters because of their slender build, they re closer to rhinos considering thoughness and damage.

mumblemumble

Going on tactical hunts before this happens is a good idea,  watch animal population,  hunger levels,  ect,  and if you start seeing less herbivores,  more carnivores,  might want to cull the population with every capable fighter first.

There's a reason they hunt wolves in Alaska with choppers like that,  to prevent this sort of situation.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

gazdac

I'm sure it was triggered from spawning on a map with ZERO animals. I had hunted the last iguana for food while waiting for crops. That throws a new wrinkle into desert living.

Shurp

Sounds like a cougar on steroids.  In the real world a retiree armed with a pen and a stick can fight off a cougar.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16817149/ns/us_news-life/t/when-mountain-lion-attacks-spouse-fights-back/

"Jim was talking to me all through this, and he said, 'I've got a pen in my pocket and get the pen and jab him in the eye,'" she said. "So I got the pen and tried to put it in his eye, but it didn't want to go in as easy as I thought it would."
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.