Noob Research Question

Started by OobleckTheGreen, January 30, 2014, 12:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OobleckTheGreen

This is my first post to the forums -- I just bought RimWorld a few hours ago. Great game, hard game, have already lost 3 colonies, mostly due to people going mental.

Here's my question: On my 4th colony I tried to get smart and pick out certain kinds of people. I got a Settler, a Miner, and a Scientist. My Scientist has Research LV11 so now that I have a research table, I assumed he would be the one doing the research. However, when I look at my character Overview window, the OTHER character (not the Scientist) has the ability to have a checkbox for research, but the researcher does not. When I hover over where the checkbox SHOULD be, I get a message saying "Lucky (Scientist) cannot do this kind of work."

Is this a bug or am I doing something noobishly wrong?

OobleckTheGreen

So it's because she has no ability for "Intellectual" ?? If so, that's a pretty goofy combination! A LV11 researcher who has no ability to do intellectual things. I never noticed that when I created her, but it almost seems that such a combo shouldn't happen  ???

Jones-250

Well, Rimworld (and the world as well) is a crazy place. Somehow I consider that this sort of occurrences should not be removed, as they add to the variation within the game. However, there´s one fallacy, a paradox, in this one that should be fixed. How the bloody hell boomrat did Lucky become a scientist if she never was capable of it?
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

sparda666

I mean all hail the RNGesus and all, these kind of silly combos are hilarious, but Im debating whether the story for such a character could be defendable.

The only thing I can think of is:

Lucky was basically a Cavewoman who somehow must have been captured as a slave by colonists from another colony and perhaps was sold to some naval science lab as a test tube cleaner. During a brutal bombing strike, the science lab was destroyed and Lucky was the only survivor, due to the deaths of her superiors, and incompetence of the bureaucratical government, she was promoted to a naval scientist.

still doesn't explain the 11 in research stat

I think it might make more sense in a story perspective of perhaps adulthood backstories have "Capable of" stats that would override "Incapable of" stats of the childhood backstories. This could represent the character growing and learning. This might make the game easier though.

I mean this game is all about roguelike elements and hardcore difficulty, but Rimworld also has a great focus on building a story. It just seems story-wise, it would make more sense that if Lucky is currently a scientist with 11 research skill, she should be able to research no matter what her childhood was.

OobleckTheGreen

Untrustedlife

Quote from: sparda666 on January 31, 2014, 08:54:38 PM
I mean all hail the RNGesus and all, these kind of silly combos are hilarious, but Im debating whether the story for such a character could be defendable.

The only thing I can think of is:

Lucky was basically a Cavewoman who somehow must have been captured as a slave by colonists from another colony and perhaps was sold to some naval science lab as a test tube cleaner. During a brutal bombing strike, the science lab was destroyed and Lucky was the only survivor, due to the deaths of her superiors, and incompetence of the bureaucratical government, she was promoted to a naval scientist.

still doesn't explain the 11 in research stat

I think it might make more sense in a story perspective of perhaps adulthood backstories have "Capable of" stats that would override "Incapable of" stats of the childhood backstories. This could represent the character growing and learning. This might make the game easier though.

I mean this game is all about roguelike elements and hardcore difficulty, but Rimworld also has a great focus on building a story. It just seems story-wise, it would make more sense that if Lucky is currently a scientist with 11 research skill, she should be able to research no matter what her childhood was.

While it doesent make sense, I still like the system.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

DarkMyau

What actually happened was Lucky made a death bed promise to her grandmother to never research again.

So here we are.