Insect Colony Farm!

Started by enterprise12, April 09, 2016, 08:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

just hollow out an isolated mountain with thick roofs and wait for an infestation event.. iirc, hives don't spread beyond a thick roof.

to farm the jellies, unforbid them then place a stockpile zone on it.

voila, you can now sell jellies to traders with zero risk.

edit : that might not be available anymore though.. i think items needs to be hauled to a stockpile now before it can be traded.. i'm not sure.

Robovski

Quote from: Pickle on April 10, 2016, 05:55:04 AM
@CheeseGromit

I know they eat rocks but what about the steel, there is lot of it on the floor, do they drop it ?

They do mine compacted steel, which is also a way you can run into trouble as the ''mined'' steel from the bugs digging into compacted steel drops unforbidden. As such a go-getter colonist may walk right into the nest trying to haul it.

CheeseGromit

@ Pickle.

Yep the bugs mined the steel, silver and components in that area of rock. Sadly I think the components got crushed by roof collapses. They also sleep at night, not 100% but most of the group, so you can do night raids for the resources if you don't mind a little risk.

Jack_Treehorn

So far I've killed them four different ways. Melee - suffered some injuries and could have been overwhelmed if more than one hive. Heaters - They get heatstroke at above 50.C. Cooler is the same but -50.C its easy to collect the produce if using coolers. The easiest way for me has been breeding boom rats and sending a couple in also very useful in sieges.

enterprise12

Quote from: Jack_Treehorn on April 10, 2016, 07:40:11 PM
So far I've killed them four different ways. Melee - suffered some injuries and could have been overwhelmed if more than one hive. Heaters - They get heatstroke at above 50.C. Cooler is the same but -50.C its easy to collect the produce if using coolers. The easiest way for me has been breeding boom rats and sending a couple in also very useful in sieges.

I have never been able to get heaters to go that high, pretty sure they have a limit, no matter how many you place, coolers on the other hand could work

BBoulanger

There is no try only do

enterprise12

Quote from: BBoulanger on April 10, 2016, 08:01:23 PM
Thanks Jacob

For what?
i was wondering how you found my name but i see how now xD

Mikhail Reign

If you let them get too big the bugs start to wonder some pretty large distances from the hives.

interesting side note - If you destory all the hives, the bugs become neutral. Pawns will still flee from them if told to, but the bugs wont aggro.

enterprise12

So i have a 2nd insect hive, and i have found the perfect way to farm them!

1. Create a thick box room(mines two thick, that way they are contained better, and plasteel walls/doors) 11x11
2. Make two freezers(in my case) and keep it at 0 degrees, setup turrets(i happen to use embrasures, but this is do-able without)
3. Dead insects are frozen, which can be used as a disgusting amount of food.
4. Set a stockpile(which im sure tynan may fix later) this collects all the insect jelly so you can sell it
5. When hives begin to get out of control, lower the room to -6 degrees, they will begin to die, monitor the hives so they dont all die, keep 1-3 and raise the room to 0 degrees again.

Ta-da! collect the spoils, repeat.