[A18] Better Drugs [V.1]

Started by dinoshaw, November 12, 2017, 09:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinoshaw

This is my first mod so please leave suggestions and tips. Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/30yaku5dsp4lqza/Better%20Drugs.rar?dl=0

Better drugs is a simple mod I am making for A18 that adds a wider variety of drugs and alcohols. It is currently quite small but I will continue updating it.

Additions:
Carga, an inject-able drug that is theoreticaly heroin.
Morphine, a pain reducing drug that is expensive to make, and is a bit addictive.

Future Additions:
Magic mushrooms using the new mushrooms that were added, probably made using mushrooms and chem fuel.
A drug trader from a friendly faction.
New alcohols.
Sleeping pills.
Anti-Depressants.

Please give me suggestions!

You can use my mod in a mod pack with full credit.

Screenshots:
Morphine in use

Morphine Texture

Canute

Don't you think the syringe-pic is a bit tooooooo big ?

dinoshaw

Canute

Most picture view programs got some simple tool.
Just open the picture, shrink the picture, or resize it.
Then use save as to create a new smaller pic.
Upload it with the same name, or change the link to the new pic.

dinoshaw

yeah the picture is already only 128x128  so that wont change a thing

kaptain_kavern

Like this for doing it only with the forum features

[img width=200]http://URL.to.picture[/img]

Notice the width= in the img tag. You can specify height to. Values are in pixels

dinoshaw

Minnigin

that needle looks like it has air in it.. yikes lol

Goranchero

Quote from: Minnigin on November 12, 2017, 05:27:36 PM
that needle looks like it has air in it.. yikes lol

Indeed, always make sure there is no air in the syringe and never forget to aspirate when doing an intramuscular injection.

Drug ideas... steroids, nootropics, stimulants...

SpaceDorf

I like the size :)

Needles are supposed to look scary !
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

DavidDavidson

I hate to necro an old thread but I've been looking for a mod that does painkillers (as pain really reduces efficiency in pawns) and I know a fair bit when it comes to pharmacology and psychopharmacology so if you're still running with this mod I would be happy to help out on the pharma side of things.

A few tips would be that Heroin is rapidly metabolized into morphine (and thus equivalent dosages are pretty much indistinguishable), Heroin is actually still prescribed very often in emergency medicine here in the UK (under the name diamorphine, firstly because Heroin is still a patented brand name and secondly because doctors and EMTs don't want to freak patients out) so a wide distinction shouldn't be made. If you want to introduce a mild painkiller that is easy to make, you could introduce opium (made straight from poppy latex) or codeine (again; extracted from poppies); give the opiates a secondary ability of reducing disease spread and helping with food poisoning symptoms (opiates help stop diarrhoea by slowing the action of the gut), but a moderate to high addictiveness.
You could introduce something like methamphetamine (call it Crystal, or if you're a fan of Breaking Bad; 'Blue Ice') which increases the wakefulness, conciousness and speed of pawns (but not pain tolerance) but over time causes damage to the brain and decreased conciousness.

Party drugs would be interesting too. You could have them beside a paery spot and set them to 'use only during a party or social interaction' as would psychedelics (used when meditating or praying, or if the pawn has 'chemical interest' during 'relaxing socially'.
For your party drug you could have Ecstasy (MDMA) which would be made using Sasfaras trees which is turned into saffrole (possibly through maturing in a barrel) and then into the final product MDMA (call it 'party dust') via a drugs lab. It would have a very low addictiveness and a 'day after debuff' of "comedown" which slows the pawn down, impairs manipulation  and makes a pawn more tired than usual though it would greatly increase joy during a party and possibly give a 'had unforgettable party' buff that lasts longer than the usual party buff. It would also make pawns more talkative and if a pawn and their rival were both using it at the same time, give a chance of reconciliation due to 'talking deeply about <subject X>".

As for LSD (which is in real life notoriously hard to make but having four or five steps seems like overkill, just lower the yield, or change it to mescaline) pawns could grow 'inedible ergot infested barley' (or if going down the mescaline route, san pedro cactus) extract the ergot fungus using something like a modified nutrient paste maker (or make cactus concentrate with it) then make LSD/extract the mescaline in a drug lab. It would mainly be used in rituals such as meditation and praying though may be used as a party drug by some curious pawns. It would have no addictiveness though carry a chance of causing a mental break (especially in individuals with low mood and/or poor surroundings) which after the mental break results in a 'had bad trip' mood and social debuff which lasts from a short time to a long time, depending on the pawn. It's ingame name could be blotter (LSD) or 'buttons' (mescaline, names after peyote 'buttons')

With the psychedelics (including mushrooms) you could also include a "going on a vision quest" activity taken by pawns which could last for a day or two and if it has a positive outcome, the pawn may gain a level in certain skills or an inspiration (1.0). If it goes badly the pawn (if religious/tribalistic) could get a somewhat long term "scorned by the gods" debuff where their mood will be slighly lower and they will be more fatalistic.
With the 1.0 seasons you could have vision quests coincide with the start of new (now visible) seasons, or even solstices.

For non-psychoactive drugs you could add in:
Antiemetic (anti-nausea) tablets (made at a drugs lab), to help with food poisoning, like current antihistamine based anti-nausea pills they would also cause drowsiness, slightly lowering manipulation and making a pawn sleepy to the point of going to bed earlier than usual and waking up later than usual.

Paracetamol (aka acetaminophen) which lowers body temperature (is an antipyretic) that slightly decreases pain; good for lowering the fever caused by infection; if used too often it can cause damage to the liver.

An antibiotic, which helps with non-viral infections but if used too often the infection may build up antibiotic resistance, which is passed along to every pawn in your colony.

An anabolic steroid, which increases physical strength rapidly (melee damage) but unless dosages are maintained or your pawn stays physically active your melee skill decreases much faster. Small increased chance of fighting with other pawns due to 'roid rage'

Beta blockers; for the elderly or people with heart problems.
There's a few more that would be interesting additions though the thread has been dead for quite a while. I hope you're still working on the mod and I'm happy to help with ideas on how to extract or synthesise certain drugs; having academic experience in this area. If you aren't, hopefully someone else is and I'm willing to give ideas and information to anyone who wants to make mod like this, provided they want to listen.

I'd make a mod myself, but I have no experience at all when it comes to that.  :(

PS, I hope I did the captcha correctly, the normal colour of snow is yellow, right?

ultra4

looks like a good addition, but vegetable garden already has ibuprofen, and it's more than enough as a painkiller.
The game already has some recreational drugs. In the drug department the game and popular mods already give a balanced experience.