[B18] Storage Crates v1.18.2 (3/23/2018) [Chemfuel Barrels! (now fixed)]

Started by l2evy, April 10, 2016, 03:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

l2evy

Quote from: deathstar on October 16, 2017, 10:12:43 AM
Yeah, please doublecheck the version, I got some errors too.
Quote from: paulvin on October 15, 2017, 02:32:02 AM
i downloaded your latest version. it still says a16 though and i cant do any bills
edit: i checked your git and i think you forgot to commit or something
Yes I seemed to have committed the changes but not push to github and screwed up the A17 version. It was working alright on Steam Workshop though.

Updated for B18 (and can confirm that I actually pushed to GitHub this time)

12/12/2017 1.17.0 > 1.18.0
-Updated for Beta 18
Mod Maintainer/Coder of:

l2evy

2/11/2018 1.18.0 > 1.18.1
-Added Chemfuel Barrels (make sure to be careful with these)
-Adjusted Gold Crate to new ratios, now packs 250 instead of 500
Mod Maintainer/Coder of:

Harry_Dicks

Hey so I'm really liking the idea behind this mod. Pack up some supplies for long term storage. Especially because I'm thinking about making an event that will have something like 1 year long eclipses with lot's of non stop weather (THANK YOU Cold Desert Nights!). Anyway I had these questions for you, after browsing through your mod's files:

What sort of graphics do you use for storing items that you don't have a specific texture for?
Wouldn't it be better to have your mod just take the texture of whatever thingDef you are storing, and put this texture as a layer on the crate lid?
What happens to things stored in the crate if the crate is damaged and/or destroyed?
Is the total mass and/or weight for all of the things put into the crate affected? I ask this because I am curious because I am using the mod Pick Up & Haul. I wanted to know if a pawn would be able to carry multiple crates at once or not, because Mehni was showing me the "carrying capacity" was different than mass, or something. Can't remember off the top of my head right now :)
Do you know if you could store your crates into anything from the mods of Infinite Storage, Mass Storage, Quantum Storage, or Extended Storage?
Have you had any experience with your mod and any of the storage mods I mentioned?
And if you have, do you have any comments about the workings between the crates and those mods, do the crates just go into them like normal, and how do the other mods recognize the size/mass/weight (or whatever these attributes are) of your crates?

Sorry for so many questions. There are just so many possibilities for interaction though, and I was curious if you knew the answer to any of this. Either way, thanks for your time. You have a wonderful looking mod :)

Ruisuki

The OP mentions for future content he plans on redoing the graphics and cardboard boxes. I am just about to install this so dunno if its already happened and the description just hasnt been updated

Question: Will food thats packed in a crate(not canned) be eligible for consumption during caravan travel? I dont suppose I could pack an unpacking bench on one of my muffalo for portable unpacking in emergency starvation situations?
---
Got this log when first loading this onto my existing save. Is it anything major or just a minor nuisance?

https://ibb.co/bFmYVx

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 21, 2018, 07:31:31 PM
I dont suppose I could pack an unpacking bench on one of my muffalo for portable unpacking in emergency starvation situations?

Minify Everything, silly. We were just talking about it! ::)

Ruisuki

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 21, 2018, 10:54:28 PM
I dont suppose I could pack an unpacking bench on one of my muffalo for portable unpacking in emergency starvation situations?

I ended up going with miniturisation :s

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 21, 2018, 10:57:33 PM

Whatever floats your boat. Just know that you are artificially limiting your choices to what the mod author has allowed you to minify, rather than set this up yourself. That's my main, and only reason, for using it over the competition.

No mod author for a minifying mod is ever going to be able to keep up with the constant ebb and flow of possible buildings that I'm going to be adding and removing from my games. In that case, I will be the one to decide what items the game can and can't affect in whatever way, I just need to framework/tools to be able to set this up myself, and then never have to rely on someone updating their mod to hopefully include whatever new defs from whatever new mods I may be using. Which Minify Everything has done an exemplary job.

That's a big reason on why I love "future-proofed" mods. Something like Numbers is great that it allows you to add in any new "needs" bars from whatever mod you have, and the mod author never has to update the mod to accept new "needs" bars from any new mods that and in their own. Same thing with Minify Everything.

A quote from the author of Miniturization Overloaded (I know, different mod, but the same still applies), who also happened to be the third person to comment on Miniturization when it was first released, who then went on to make their own, soon to be outclassed, version.
Quote from: notfood on January 07, 2018, 06:06:45 PM
Please, switch to Minify Everything. It has an exclude option to remove the walls and stuff. This mod has been superseded, I can update it but unless someone is going to curate it's not good enough.

Not to dismiss any work by the mod author from Miniaturization, but in my very honest opinion, there needs to be no other minifying mods out there because they will all be totally outclassed by Minify Everything unless they add in some other crazy features that would be beyond the scope of what I would want from a minifying mod anyway.

End rant :P

Ruisuki

The thing that initially convinced me were the comments i read on the steam thread. Problems mentioned like turbines being considered 'blocked' after reinstalling indefinitely. Launchpods breaking caravans and pads, saves not able to be loaded again after carrying those reinstalled items in the caravan. But yeah you're right mod benches and furniture from mods like smokeleaf are unlikely to be supported by miniturisation and who knows what other mods ill be on even if they are updated. Thats why I wanted to know what the author meant by compatibility tied to 'bench classes' as it applied to mods. Seeing as how its been some time since they logged on here though, I figure I suppose I'll choose minify. The author states its safe to remove mid game, so maybe the people that reported those bugs can bypass them by reinstalling it.

Tocato

Harry_Dicks

Tocato, please lower the resolution on your oversized photo. You are making my Palm Pilot crash because it is getting overloaded with such a high resolution. We can't all have high end stuff like yourself, please be considerate.

Canute

Tocato,
beside i know there is some red text, do you can read it at your side ?
Maybe try these green button "Share log".

deathstar

I get the same error log, even when running no other mods.

Ruisuki

Getting the same error bro. Also under the butcher table one of the recipes is written as "prepair cans"

l2evy

3/23/2018 1.18.1 > 1.18.2
-Fixed Chemfuel Barrels to explode as they should (Thanks White Wizard from Steam comments for the report!)
-Pushed Russian Translation Update (Thanks to the awesome Bugo from github!)
-found and fixed gold crate changes and typo not sync'd to github (for some reason it did not push on those select changes to github)

Edit: Also forgot a typo for "prepare meat" , I already pushed it to steam but since it is really REALLY late I will update all the forum post stuff at a later time. I have already pushed a pre-release to github if you can't wait though, you can get it here.
https://github.com/l2evy/Storage-Crates/archive/b18-v1.18.2h.zip

Note: I am not getting emails on replies to this topic for some reason so if I do not respond send me a PM or post on the Steam Comments. Thanks!

I know you asked all those questions first Harry Dicks and I normally answer in order but due to the amount of questions I will answer you last cause it is a wall of txt (not that it is a bad thing though I welcome questions!)

The OP mentions for future content he plans on redoing the graphics and cardboard boxes. I am just about to install this so dunno if its already happened and the description just hasnt been updated

Question: Will food thats packed in a crate(not canned) be eligible for consumption during caravan travel? I dont suppose I could pack an unpacking bench on one of my muffalo for portable unpacking in emergency starvation situations?
---
Got this log when first loading this onto my existing save. Is it anything major or just a minor nuisance?

https://ibb.co/bFmYVx
The error was a issue with my github client somehow not detecting the changes...which has happened to me before..it could have been me but I have since relocated the folder so...maybe that will fix.
Packed food is an item not food so can't chew through the steel crate ofc heh. There used to be a button for "force unpack" but it was a headache and code nightmare so I disabled it. It did all kinds of funky stuff and had errors and I was not smart enough to get it to behave correctly. Maybe I can bug a few other modders to take a look at it and maybe get it to work right, it would be nice to get that working as it should.

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 21, 2018, 10:57:33 PM
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 21, 2018, 10:54:28 PM

wot... The packing benches are all already able to be uninstalled, reinstalled, or packed up and taken around. I added that in few updates ago.

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 21, 2018, 01:56:53 AM
Getting the same error bro. Also under the butcher table one of the recipes is written as "prepair cans"
Error has since been fixed as mentioned earlier. Typo fix will come in the next update as its late and I already finished going through the whole process of updating already and missed that.

Now for the rest of the questions from the Harry Dick

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 11, 2018, 06:27:34 PM
1: What sort of graphics do you use for storing items that you don't have a specific texture for?
Wouldn't it be better to have your mod just take the texture of whatever thingDef you are storing, and put this texture as a layer on the crate lid?
That is an interesting concept, for now I have been doing them by hand in photoshop. I have a template already put together and I just add in the new layer and adjust it for the crate, do some transparency and cleanup, save it and that is about it (cept for some special items). I do like this though as it is more optimized and automatic if this was able to be done. I will have to look into it.
2: What happens to things stored in the crate if the crate is damaged and/or destroyed?
right now it goes poof entirely. I would like to have it spit out everything on the ground with damaged plates you had to repair with some steel but eh that has issues being the amount of items you can put on 1 tile. When I get around to doing the other material storage crates/boxes that will become more important. Steel should be more expensive but better durability and fire proof, wooden and cardboard be more weak to the fire. Also wood/cardboard is in design as temporary early game for wooden and caravan/trade for cardboard (as they will be lighter and more suited for travel).
Is the total mass and/or weight for all of the things put into the crate affected? I ask this because I am curious because I am using the mod Pick Up & Haul. I wanted to know if a pawn would be able to carry multiple crates at once or not, because Mehni was showing me the "carrying capacity" was different than mass, or something. Can't remember off the top of my head right now :)
Sadly yes, lol. One of the big time consuming aspects is calculating the mass for each steel plate and the items for each crate. The crates weight exactly what 75 of the item + 6 steel crate plates would weigh if you took them separate. I had to do mortar shells custom and NOT 75 for this reason, nobody would be able to lift it.
3: Do you know if you could store your crates into anything from the mods of Infinite Storage, Mass Storage, Quantum Storage, or Extended Storage?
I have not tested for any of those mods, I do use about 170 mods or so when I do sit down to play but the only storage mod I use currently is Storage Crates and StackXXL. Recently added stack xxl and started from tribe (completely naked with 3 people and no weapons just water and food). I have yet to get to the point of using the crates and see how they work with the Stack XXL mod. No errors or anything as far as loading goes though but I am curious if they will only stack to 75 or more. I suspect 75 only but maybe since I loaded StackXXL after it will patch it.
4: Have you had any experience with your mod and any of the storage mods I mentioned?
And if you have, do you have any comments about the workings between the crates and those mods, do the crates just go into them like normal, and how do the other mods recognize the size/mass/weight (or whatever these attributes are) of your crates?
As previously mentioned I only use Storage Crates and StackXXL, there used to be a mod that was interesting that had a container you put things in which I liked but I believe dev stalled on it way back in alpha 10-12 or so.

If you made it this far, Thanks everyone for the questions I don't mind at all. I love exploring ideas and stuff when I have the time and coming up with new future potential directions to take this mod. I am open to community coming on to add to the mod or change things also. So if you wanna improve upon the mod or whatever start tinkering around with the mod locally, push the changes on github or PM me a gist on github with purposed changes if you do not fully want to come on board the project.
Mod Maintainer/Coder of: