Hunting Accidents

Started by Mikhail Reign, April 10, 2016, 03:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Reign

I reading Ty's responses on reddit about hunting accidents and I was wondering why the focus is on the shooter, instead of the person who gets shot? Colonists will avoid a tile that has fire in it, they also will avoid rooms that are too hot/cold.

Wouldn't an easy way around this be to give hunters a cone in front of them that colonists will avoid/get out of and then have a wait on the hunters end to give them time to vamoose?

Mihsan

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 10, 2016, 03:56:54 AM
I reading Ty's responses on reddit about hunting accidents and I was wondering why the focus is on the shooter, instead of the person who gets shot? Colonists will avoid a tile that has fire in it, they also will avoid rooms that are too hot/cold.

Wouldn't an easy way around this be to give hunters a cone in front of them that colonists will avoid/get out of and then have a wait on the hunters end to give them time to vamoose?
Sounds reasonable enough. Could also use that new feature (run from danger with that "!" sign).
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Mikhail Reign

Rock5

Yeah. All in all I think hunting should be a lot safer than battles. It would be a complete act of incompetence and negligence for a hunter to accidentally shoot a colonist. It shouldn't be a common occurrence.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Mufflamingo

I hunt manually. XD XD XD
Bleeeee. . . . .

Voeter

Quote from: Rock5 on April 15, 2016, 12:44:10 AM
Yeah. All in all I think hunting should be a lot safer than battles. It would be a complete act of incompetence and negligence for a hunter to accidentally shoot a colonist. It shouldn't be a common occurrence.

weeeelll, let's just say that dick cheney is a crack shot in comparison to most of the pawns running around in my little camp xD
I mean... don't you have hunters trying to use their sniper rifle at a sleeping animal and missing 10x in a row? not to mention when they run up at point blank range to finish the future fine meal off and miss another 5 shots? :P

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Voeter on April 16, 2016, 05:40:02 PM

weeeelll, let's just say that dick cheney is a crack shot in comparison to most of the pawns running around in my little camp xD
I mean... don't you have hunters trying to use their sniper rifle at a sleeping animal and missing 10x in a row? not to mention when they run up at point blank range to finish the future fine meal off and miss another 5 shots? :P

How can they miss sleeping/non-moving targets at point blank range, they should really change this. =.=
Bleeeee. . . . .

BoogieMan

Quote from: Mufflamingo on April 16, 2016, 05:45:41 PM
Quote from: Voeter on April 16, 2016, 05:40:02 PM

Yeah, point blank vs. incapacitated target needs a bigger aim boost. I've seen a shooter with 12 skill and a good charge rifle miss 4 bursts at point blank against a capybara.

How can they miss sleeping/non-moving targets at point blank range, they should really change this. =.=

EDIT: seems that if a thread gets moved while people are replying, it doesn't save non quoted text.

I saw a person with 12 shooting miss a downed Capybara at point blank range with 4 bursts from a good charge rifle. That seems a bit silly.

Silvador

I touched on this in another thread not too long ago.

Quote from: Silvador on April 10, 2016, 04:28:13 AM
Why fix the shooter when we can fix the guy wandering into the fire? Instead of having the guy shooting stop shooting, allow allies to detect the cone of a shooter's aim and recognise that they are firing and act accordingly. They already can flee from threats, so implement that same mechanic.

"Oh, that guy is firing over there. I better not walk in front of him."

And, of course, allow us to manually overwrite this AI with the draft command and pet commands (if added).

RemingtonRyder

I was assaulting a poison ship the other day. One of my pawns is pouring shotgun shells into it, the other one is running interference.

Unfortunately, I run her right into the path of fire and she gets her hand blown off. Ouchies.

thedee05

Someone didn't take hunter safety training. Blaze Orange.

hyperkiller

I either have only 1 hunter or only designate 1 target at a time, or just make them all melee with the best armor / swords if possible

Voeter

Quote from: hyperkiller on April 16, 2016, 11:13:14 PM
I either have only 1 hunter or only designate 1 target at a time, or just make them all melee with the best armor / swords if possible

Melee hunting seems even more risky to me. Simply not done to anything as strong as or stronger than a boar imho and even a silly squirrel can net you a nice (eye) scar that'll permanently debuff your pawn. Having just 1 hunter usually works, but it seems a shame you "have" to, no?

Negocromn

melee hunting is a meme, you'll destroy your armor, waste time and medicine healing up and risk serious injury for nothing

mumblemumble

Melee hunting works for high skill,  high armored people vs tiny animals. A guy with a spear vs a squirrel I'm OK with, but good luck with a deer or boar.

Heck,  i often draft people into hit squads just for safety,  an lmg / m16 to kill bear,  then capture it.

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.