Nerf gut worm and muscle parasites?

Started by SadisticNemesis, April 10, 2016, 11:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are they to much, should they be nerfed or are they fine?

They're  fine as is.
5 (22.7%)
They last too long.
9 (40.9%)
They happen too often.
5 (22.7%)
Maybe make it cure able with glitterworld meds
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 20, 2016, 11:16:18 AM

SadisticNemesis

Just something I'm wondering, are they to much right now?

Atm in My first colony they're a constant problem. To Me it isn't so much that they last so long, its more the fact they happen to often. If 3 of My 7 colonists aren't infected with gut worm they have muscle parasites. Not at any point are any of My colonists free from this infestation. Seriously though the moment one person is cured I get a pop up that 2/3 people get infected with one or the other... it happens far to often for there to be someone constantly infected and perhaps the infection rate should be toned down.

Made the poll for tynan to get some results from other people that might think the same.

Also My colony is 4 years old and during that time I've had around 3 game days free from any of the two infections.

Update: made a change in the poll and reset it for the option of making it cure able. I'll also add I have said colony on a boreal forest biome and on random randy.

Mihsan

I play on jungle biome and there you can really understand, what is "too often" (when you have colonists, that have 3 different diseases at the same time or when you have 12 sick people out of 16 total). And "too long" too since there is always somebody sick.

When I was playing on different biome there was some cases of different parasites and they was just fine for keeping game "not boring". So my vote goes for [They're  fine as is].
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Limdood

i put that they're fine as is...its not totally true, but i don't necessarily want them to happen less often or naturally last shorter.

I would like surgical options to reduce the impact, or high quality medicines (glitterworld only, or maybe glitter and regular) to significantly reduce impact or duration, or introduce some sort of bionic option that has a small permanent benefit AND makes the pawn immune to one of the parasite types (stupid as it sounds, a bionic "stomach" maybe that makes hunger deteriorate slower (efficient digestion?) and makes you immune to gut worms...a bionic spine that increases manip and movement by 5% each and makes you immune to muscle parasites...or just bionic arms and legs can negate the manip OR movement penalty of muscle parasites)

I like that there is now a disease that won't just kill you, that can appear (as opposed to frail, bad back, dementia, that the pawns are generated with), but considering the current bionic options in game, some sort of immunity, drastic treatment, or preventative medicine is in the realm of possible.

Limdood

read about your jungle biome...thats also a big feature of the jungle.

its a HARD biome because while you get near unlimited food availability, an abundance of wood, and a minimum of power issues, the 2 real drawbacks are subtle, but pretty severe: LOTS of disease and difficult movement.

SadisticNemesis

I do get your points and I really like Limdood's idea on making it cure able with glitterworld meds, I just personally am fine with how they are in length, its just the fact having so many infected constantly on a none jungle map is a bit much. But I do like that they last as long as they do and would like that to stay, just maybe have the infection rate on none jungles looked at.

Vaporisor

Bad luck or the difficulty settings?  I have to of the mechatoid infections on two colonists after a few years in my temperate forest.  I agree with others that it does seem to be biome dependent for rate, but I wonder if there is something else that could be doing it.

I have watched some lets plays of stuff, and one of the guys I watch had a few people in desert suddenly get gutworm, but it occurred during a time when he ran out of cooked meals and was eating raw food.  Mine occured one person early on and one person later when I wasn't watching food supply.  Is there a chance that diet and exposure could affect as well?  Overall in my play since alpha 13, I have found it to be fine in my few map explorations.  Perhaps cures come late game or something?
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

jaeden25

Muscle parasites are so brutal in extreme mode as you have to spend literally ALL your time keeping the infected colonist from going beserk, and the fact you don't even know how long they will last is the worst part. This disease is just a bit too strong at the moment.

Boston

In real life, up until very recently, the #1 numero uno top killer of humanity as a whole was disease. Not war, not animal attacks, not accidents, but disease. Usually ones that , today, are stupidly easy to prevent and treat, like water-borne diarrhea, intestinal parasites (usually from eating improperly-cooked food), and various infections.  Hell, even today in the "3rd World" (the situation is very nuanced, so don't jump down my throat about the ethnocentrism), diseases like diarrhea, intestinal parasites and insect-borne diseases ravage the land with regularity.

A major (if not the major) to the exploration and colonization of Africa by Europeans was the existence of virulent diseases the Europeans had never experienced before, and had no resistances to.  Multiply that by not even being from the same planet, and the rate of disease transmission becomes much more believable.

Think of Rimworld like a massive, planet-sized underdeveloped cesspit, and the level of diseases makes more sense.

I have no problem with the amount and level of diseases in Rimworld. It is actually one of the more "realistic" elements of the setting. Keep the living spaces of the colony clean, don't eat raw food, and the colonists should be "fine".

Mathenaut

The problem is that, unlike other diseases, these ones are functionally uncurable. That's the balance issue. There is literally no agency involved in their onset or removal, and they'll likely outlive the colonist that catches them.

It's really just a form of fake difficulty.

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Boston on April 10, 2016, 10:06:00 PM
In real life, up until very recently, the #1 numero uno top killer of humanity as a whole was disease.

It still is.

The mosquito has killed more people than every war in human history combined.

And old people move to Florida "for their health" - ha!

Mathenaut

Eh. That says less about the killing power of disease, and more about the state of poverty in most of the world.

Access to simple medicine eliminates the threat of all but a select few diseases. If it isn't exotic, it shouldn't be something you catch outside of some negligence.

johntiger

I have better idea. Real reason why diseases are so overpowered is because there is currently no method to deal with them. Instead of nerfing diseases, introduce new category of medicines to suppress symptoms or reduce the disease effect therefore keeping your colonists near normal as possible even when afflicted. Or introduce drugs that activate or becomes more effective only when with those diseases.

Regret

Quote from: NephilimNexus on April 10, 2016, 11:23:08 PM
Quote from: Boston on April 10, 2016, 10:06:00 PM
In real life, up until very recently, the #1 numero uno top killer of humanity as a whole was disease.

It still is.

The mosquito has killed more people than every war in human history combined.

And old people move to Florida "for their health" - ha!
I think globally causes of death are
1st: curable diseases
2nd: heart failure.
... looking for some sources...
http://bmb.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/1/7.full
Huh, guess you were right. it's the other way around. Yay for us.
Local variation is huge btw but on average the world is doing pretty good fighting infectious diseases.
Rimworld hygiene should be expected to be less though, so the causes of death should be quite different.
I wonder if anyone will ever make a graph similar to those in the links for rimworld.

Nebbie

I'd really like it if there were different medications, including ones that could outright cure something in a few treatments. Right now, the medicine you have to buy gets constantly wasted as an anasthetic when it really should be being used on the guy with carcinoma, and parasites and the flu just last however long no matter what, which makes them a severe problem.

With regard to parasites, sleeping sickness, and malaria in particular, there's actual curative drugs available today; it's rather silly that colonists can make power armor, but can't stop malaria...

firescythe

You are right, however this game is not yet finished, and not about recreacting superscience of known Earth. So far sickness and body damages are managed with a single type of medicine, till a quality it is even growable, and possible to keep sickness at bay with less/more intense care until cured or immunity develops. If you are up to simulate complex medication assembly, check out Big Pharma game (I play it), and you will get a picture how resource needy to get to a medication for specific problems :) what I want to say with this is "you don't want to get into preparing cure focused medicine in RimWorld".

On the other hand, to not exclude possibility to own such, it might be possible to get from spce traders. Which would be even a good idea.