[A13] BackstoriesCore

Started by NoImageAvailable, April 10, 2016, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessi

This keeps causing my mods to crash and not load. I can't figure out the issue.
A curious little creature...

Korn.Mil

Sorry, i just dont understand how to use it, and i am pretty bad at english language. I would appreciate if you could make more detailed information :) thank you for understanding

Plurnt

I'm trying to get this mod running after never succeeding on the last alpha, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong/where I can find the proper download link? Because the "CoreBackstories" zip doesn't contain the PawBioDefs at all. I got this mod running on A10 or 11 without ever touching the NameDefs and PawnBioDefs by using the mod together with EDB Prepare Carefully, but I'm not having any luck, even after creating new folders as one of the earlier commenters demonstrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Plurnt

Realized I was downloading the wrong link, so pls disregard that last post, but I now can't get the mod to play nice with others, I think because I'm not supposed to manually add the missing Defs folder, although the mod doesn't work without it either. Still messing around so I might get it, but tbh, a few screenshots demonstrating how the folders and files should be organized would be greatly helpful, despite what the original modder thought.

Plurnt

No luck still with getting the mod to work  :-\ I can't create a new Defs folder within the mod (both before and after extracting the templates, tried both) without disrupting the other mods, and the mod doesn't seem to work when I just leave the BackstoryDefs folder out among the other folders (textures, assemblies, etc.). Like I said before, I just need this to work with EDB Prepare Carefully, as it has on previous updates. I appreciate the effort you've put in to upkeep a good mod, and I hope to get some help with dealing with this.

NoImageAvailable

You need to extract the templates that are inside the mod folder, see the post below the OP for the exact folder structure. If you had it working for previous versions then simply follow the exact same procedure, nothing about the mod itself changed.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Plurnt

Judging from the original thread, there were a few ppl on the last page with same problem as me who never got a response. Not trying to be difficult, it's only a game after all, but I've been following the guidance of the earlier screenshots, and even completely reinstalled the mod, created the Defs folder within the mod folder all over again, and then extracted the folders from Templates into the newly made Defs folder. I even extracted the NameDefs and PawnBioDefs this time too, even though they are irrelevant to my plans. I honestly couldn't tell you what I did differently back in A-whenever to make it work, but manually creating a Defs folder within the Backstories mod folder only seems to make the mod unusable, and while the mod will run if I extract the three defs folders to the main backstories mod folder, the actual backstories I created don't appear among the others on EDB PC, regardless of how I arrange the mods on Mod Order.

RemingtonRyder

Hi Plurnt,

I've just added the beta version of Prepare Carefully to my mods list and I was able to get the backstories I created to show up, even on a random roll.

Any chance you could share your backstories files so we can take a look?

TheLunatic889

Can you add multiple backstory defs or just one?

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Mendoksou

Quote from: Plurnt on April 17, 2016, 07:48:43 PM
Judging from the original thread, there were a few ppl on the last page with same problem as me who never got a response. Not trying to be difficult, it's only a game after all, but I've been following the guidance of the earlier screenshots, and even completely reinstalled the mod, created the Defs folder within the mod folder all over again, and then extracted the folders from Templates into the newly made Defs folder. I even extracted the NameDefs and PawnBioDefs this time too, even though they are irrelevant to my plans. I honestly couldn't tell you what I did differently back in A-whenever to make it work, but manually creating a Defs folder within the Backstories mod folder only seems to make the mod unusable, and while the mod will run if I extract the three defs folders to the main backstories mod folder, the actual backstories I created don't appear among the others on EDB PC, regardless of how I arrange the mods on Mod Order.

There is SOMETHING finicky about the mod, as I had this same issue and it seems to crop up randomly at times. Make sure all the defs are valid. I'd suggest you delete all the templates and any you created, and just use one of the sets provided to test at first. If that works, you can add yours back in. Also, it seems that you need to restart the game completely for any change in the defs to take effect (I think?).

RemingtonRyder

Just reloading your mods (enter Mods screen, leave) will work for refreshing def changes. At least in A13, anyway.

Mendoksou

Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 23, 2016, 05:27:05 AM
Just reloading your mods (enter Mods screen, leave) will work for refreshing def changes. At least in A13, anyway.

I know it's supposed to, but for some reason this mod only works for me by completely quitting and reloading. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dragoon

Quote from: Mendoksou on April 23, 2016, 05:49:00 PM
Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 23, 2016, 05:27:05 AM

I know it's supposed to, but for some reason this mod only works for me by completely quitting and reloading. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That is how it's supposed to be.  the mod refresh thing is NOT the way do it. You have restart whenever you install a mod.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

almostideal

I was having problems with this but it's important to note that you should delete the blank templates from the Def folders before installing.