[A13] BackstoriesCore

Started by NoImageAvailable, April 10, 2016, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

Since mipen has left Rimworld modding I have been given permission to update his Backstories Core mod. For download, see the attachment. I only recompiled the old source code against the new version, I haven't done any excessive testing to confirm it works, so do let me know if there are issues. Here is the original OP post:

Quote from: mipen on March 26, 2015, 05:58:39 AM
Description:
This mod adds a new def type - BackstoryDefs! These let you write your own backstories which are then added into the game! The mod itself is just a framework to add the new backstories, but I will post download links to backstories written by others and myself for you to add to your game. Also added by this mod are NameDefs, which let you add custom names to the game, and PawnBioDefs, which let you add custom unique bios for pawns, which means that you can group two backstories together and they will only appear on one pawn in a game, letting you create unique stories for pawns.

How to:
To create your own backstory, install the mod, then open the .zip file inside the defs folder, called Templates. Extract the BackstoryDefTemplate.xml into the BackstoryDefs folder, then open it. I have detailed how to go about making your own backstory inside this template file, so just follow through that :) If you need some points of reference, then open the CoreBackstoryDefs.xml and look at the backstories I have written. To add your own in-game name, extract the NameDefTemplate to the NameDefs folder. I have written how to make your own name inside this file, so just follow the hints.

A basic understanding of xml coding will be greatly beneficial for doing this, so if you don't know anything at all about xml, I would suggest doing some basic tutorials on the internet to get yourself familiar with it. It would also help you with other mods :D

If you write a really good backstory and want to submit it to me to be in a backstory package, feel free to do so! :)

No screenshots here, as there isn't really anything to show.

Thank you to Tynan for giving permission for backstories to be modded in :D

QuoteBackstory Downloads:
Linked here are some backstory packages written by others and myself:
CoreBackstories
Yogscast Names
Backstories by Andouce
Backstories by Igabod
Backstories by Mokona

Backstories by MarvinKosh

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

bewby

Just want to make sure I've done this right, I'm supposed to create a Defs folder within the structure of the mod and put the other folders within the Zips in that, correct?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: bewby on April 10, 2016, 04:11:03 PM
Just want to make sure I've done this right, I'm supposed to create a Defs folder within the structure of the mod and put the other folders within the Zips in that, correct?

Yes, that folder structure looks correct

bewby

Alright good, just in case anyone else grabs this up, the archive does not already have a Defs folder made, so if you grab this and the extra backstories and such from the original post you need to create a Defs folder within the mod folder and extract the other archives into that folder so it looks like my screenshot above.

Dragoon

Awesome thanks for updating this!
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Umbral Reaver

Neato! If I wanted to make a mod with an entirely new set of backstories (no core backstories), is there a way to use this to disable them?

Cataphract

Aw, sweet. Thanks for the update!

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Umbral Reaver on April 11, 2016, 12:42:35 AM
Neato! If I wanted to make a mod with an entirely new set of backstories (no core backstories), is there a way to use this to disable them?

You can set which spawn categories appear for each faction in the faction defs. You could probably set them to use custom categories like civil_custom, raider_custom, tribal_custom, to prevent them from spawning with vanilla backstories, then make your own using these tags.

Vanilla backstories would still show up on slave traders though, since they'd still use spawn category "slave". Only way to change that would be to make a new custom StockGenerator_Slaves in C# where you point it to a new category but that would require much more advanced knowledge whereas the faction spawns can be done in XML only.

skyarkhangel

So, in plan to make backstories with translation support? :)

CommissarFox

I don't quite understand how to make a unique backstory that one doesn't want spawning on anyone.

EDIT: I just figured out PawnBios. Whoops.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: skyarkhangel on April 11, 2016, 04:44:15 AM
So, in plan to make backstories with translation support? :)

Aren't def-injected translations already supported?

I wasn't really planning on adding much to this mod, seeing as I'm only maintaining it in mipen's absence it doesn't seem "right" to me to make any sweeping changes. At most I'd maybe add support for custom non-unique names in addition to unique names, i.e. you can add a first name John, last name Smith and the name will generate combinations like John Howell, Zurine Smith, etc. rather than only the one specific combo.

CommissarFox

So I'm getting an issue with PawnBioDefs that the game can't crossreference the listed backstory into the bio? I don't quite understand what I did wrong.

Edit: Found the issue! I didn't actually give names to my NameDefs.

homeworlder

You should probably remove the main download in the original post. Bound to confuse some people  ::)

RemingtonRyder

Hey there! If it's okay, I wrote up some pawn bios and I've attached them to this post.

Note that the backstories are tied to the specific pawn bios, so you'll only see them when that pawn is rolled, or if you use Prepare Carefully (I think it would work for that, don't quote me on that).

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 13, 2016, 07:59:47 PM
Hey there! If it's okay, I wrote up some pawn bios and I've attached them to this post.

Note that the backstories are tied to the specific pawn bios, so you'll only see them when that pawn is rolled, or if you use Prepare Carefully (I think it would work for that, don't quote me on that).

Added a link to the OP. If anyone else decides to share some backstories they wrote feel free to post them and I'll link them.