[A13] Powerer consumers frequently fail to connect

Started by Shabazza, April 10, 2016, 12:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shabazza

Since A13, I noticed that lamps, auto doors and other power consumers often fail to find the power net connection,
even if one or more powerlines are directly next to them.
Workaround is to add a wire in the vicinity of the bugged consumer or to rebuild the consumer.
The "reconnect" gizmo does not fix this, as one would expect.

I never noticed this behavior in A12. At least not nearly to that extent.

ison

Could you upload a savegame where it happens? It would help a lot.

ison

Mihsan

Quote from: ison on April 14, 2016, 08:36:24 AM
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
For me most of the time stuff connects by the optimal way (shortest route + has power).

But I am not really happy with that "reconnect" button. When I try to make "beautiful" connections it always creates them in the ugliest possible way. "Manual connection" option would be nice in those rare cases. Or for more precise connection of turrets.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

milon

I experienced this earlier today.  I was playing with Dev Mode, but no mods.  I believe I built the power lines first, and placed a Steel Electric Tailor bench second.  It did not connect to power, and there was no Reconnect button.  Building 1 more power tile fixed it, connecting the bench to the grid & enabling the reconnect button.  I don't expect a save would be useful since I played for a few hours after that.

Calahan

I had a problem with power as well recently. I had a pair of turrets powered by a solar generator and some batteries. When not in use I kept them switched off. I then had a solar eclipse, followed by a small raid during the eclipse. No problem I thought as the two turrets will handle that running from battery power. So I flicked the switches to turn on both turrets but neither would power-up. I tried flicking them on and off again, but still no good. I tried reconnecting them, and even built a new power line from the batteries to the turrets but still no good. In the end I fought off the raid by hand, and the turrets only powered up again once the eclipse had ended (I had two batteries, and both were fully charged, since they were only used for the turrets).

I don't have a save game of this incident unfortunately.

Zokora

I had such an issue with a orbital trade beacon.
I build the beacon near a power conduit but it won't take any power from it, even several reconnections did not help.
Only after it was destroyed and rebuild it connected correctly.

ison

Does anyone have any savefile where this happens? I can't reproduce it.

Thenas

Quote from: ison on April 15, 2016, 09:29:44 AM

yeah, had some trouble getting it compressed enough to fit the 600 KB limit though (largest map possible), had to DL 7z

both the hydroponics basin and the cooler have live wires they should be able to connect to but simply won't, when you try reconnect it just displays a puff of smoke/dust and they stay unconnected.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Shabazza

Quote from: milon on April 14, 2016, 11:51:05 AM
I experienced this earlier today.  I was playing with Dev Mode, but no mods.  I believe I built the power lines first, and placed a Steel Electric Tailor bench second.  It did not connect to power, and there was no Reconnect button.  Building 1 more power tile fixed it, connecting the bench to the grid & enabling the reconnect button.  I don't expect a save would be useful since I played for a few hours after that.
Hm.
I actually also used dev mode in the first A13 save I played. The problem was happening very often then. Shoul've mentioned this, I guess.
Not sure if it really has something to do with it, or if it just was a coincidence.
But after I switched that very same save to normal mode, I did no longer expierience this behavior.
I played for some hours now in the same save, without noticably cumulated occurrences of this bug.
So it might actually have to do with a wrong building order, or the abnormally fast placement of stuff you usually do in dev mode.
Or a combination of these.

ison

Quote from: Thenas on April 15, 2016, 11:45:28 PM
Quote from: ison on April 15, 2016, 09:29:44 AM

yeah, had some trouble getting it compressed enough to fit the 600 KB limit though (largest map possible), had to DL 7z

both the hydroponics basin and the cooler have live wires they should be able to connect to but simply won't, when you try reconnect it just displays a puff of smoke/dust and they stay unconnected.

Thank you for the savefile. In this case it's because of the solar flare, so it's working as intended.

Tynan

Ison, solar flares shouldn't affect if/when power users connect to the network.

However, if you're sure this is a non-issue you can lock it please.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ison

Quote from: Tynan on April 18, 2016, 08:20:43 PM
Ison, solar flares shouldn't affect if/when power users connect to the network.

However, if you're sure this is a non-issue you can lock it please.

Yeah, they do connect but just don't work, so it's fine in this case.

Ok, if anyone manages to find a case where a building is not connected to a power grid but it should, then please start a new thread and post a screenshot and a savefile so I can see what's wrong.