Mod request Map Editor?

Started by Nebbeh, April 10, 2016, 12:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbeh

As of a13 and the loss of my favorite map I've been searching for a map editor. Found a online editor that's way old and unusable. Does anyone feel up for the work/challenge of creating something like this?

Don't know if this is still possible, since I'm kinda surprised there isn't one already.

Fluffy (l2032)

This shouldn't be too hard to do in-game actually, but what do you want from a map editor?

Terrain panter + resources & geyser? How do you envision it working?

Nebbeh

Geysers and stuff can be added by Dev tool so that's not so important.  But being Abe to create example overhead mountain roof is the most important thing for me. So I guess terrain+resources and roof making overhead mountain where I want it. Oh and maybe be able to set temp range for that map.

Would this be able to and save the map and let me start that map anew an use random resource mod to randomization resources every time. Or would I have to save that map and start over fro tha one save game?  Like now if I edit a map ingame I must save that map an cab only start Over from that save file

Fluffy (l2032)

When you create a world, the maps for each tile aren't created yet - they're only created when you start the game, based on a certain seed. So, no, you would have to save the edited map, and start from that save. I'm sure we could somehow make new games check if there's a map for that tile, but that's a lot of extra core stuff that needs changing, for relatively little benefit.

The editor would basically allow you to paint/build 'map' terrains, just as you can lay down normal flooring. Ideally, I'd like to insert a 'map editing phase' between creating the game and the pawns landing, where you only have access to the map editor features. I'm not sure how possible that would be though. Might just have to settle for opening up the 'map' terrain to be build during normal gameplay, which I think is going to be fairly straightforward.

Nebbeh

That sounds awesome enough. At this point I'm sick of re creating games to find the perfect mountain with overhead mountain on the whole thing like a map I had in a12 😛 so what you are describing sounds perfect 😀 You tha man! Btw  would it be hard to add a randomise button  aswell so I don't know where the resources are every time I would have to restart the main save?