Suggestion for this subforum

Started by DNK, April 10, 2016, 02:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNK

It would be nice if this forum had a way to "like/dislike" a thread, so we could quickly see the community's feelings on a given idea. Might help Tynan figure out what the most-desired changes are.

Limdood

commenting on an idea is far more informative than a simple like/dislike...and to implement ANY feature, extensive brainstorming and testing would need to be done...I'm betting that includes reading all of any threads relating to the topic...the community can think of more potential problems, benefits, and unexpected impacts of any new idea than the developer, and they can only do that thru commenting.

People already "like" suggestion threads by just posting a "+1" if they like an idea and have nothing to add.  Any sort of "dislike" should be accompanied by reasoning though.  The relative rarity of "+1" responses is because this is a very active, diverse community, so when someone posts an idea, it kind of comes alive as people post variations, fixes, problems, and thoughts on it.

mumblemumble

Plus,  likes / dislikes really could be misleading... 

Just look at any comment anywhere,  along the lines of  "like if you hate Hitler"  or something stupid,  or,  good ideas which are hard to understand.

I don't think it would be helpful.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

StorymasterQ

Wow, three posts until the first invocation of Godwin's Law. This must be the cool thread :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Harold3456

Ironically, there won't be any way to know the community's idea about THIS without the feature.

I like the idea. Comments aren't that much more accurate than likes! Comments just tell you people feel more strongly about the idea (because otherwise they wouldn't comment), but that isn't an accurate representation of the community.

Limdood

Quote from: Harold3456 on April 11, 2016, 08:58:18 PM
Ironically, there won't be any way to know the community's idea about THIS without the feature.

I like the idea. Comments aren't that much more accurate than likes! Comments just tell you people feel more strongly about the idea (because otherwise they wouldn't comment), but that isn't an accurate representation of the community.
The problem is that dislikes are important.  Dislikes point out the flaws and opposition to potential new game features.  Both flaws AND opposition are tremendously important, and again, the community will accomplish far more than a few developers at exploring the ramifications of a new feature, and are too useful a tool for determining product satisfaction to ignore.

With dislikes being this important, it is IMPERATIVE that they be properly explained.  As mumble says, the potential for trolling is massive and undermines the very purpose of the system.

Thane

Honestly I could take it or leave it. Plus you can just attach a straw poll to the threads if you want to get data like that.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Harold3456

Quote from: Limdood on April 11, 2016, 09:37:30 PM

With dislikes being this important, it is IMPERATIVE that they be properly explained.  As mumble says, the potential for trolling is massive and undermines the very purpose of the system.

Troll's don't simply lack an explanation, properly explaining dislikes would do nothing, I'm afraid. I think if the forum just suddenly had them, people would get the gist of it pretty quick.

What a lot of forums do is limit your dislikes for the day. That way you can't just go down the list disliking everything and still keep up with the people who are liking.