[B19] Area Rugs

Started by Fisty, April 10, 2016, 11:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luroshard

Rebecca, get out of bed, there's a mecha raid! Omega, get out of bed there's a mecha raid! Brandt, get out of bed, there's a mecha raid!

They all pull out their guns, button up their stylish red parkas, run across the smooth cyan rug, into the cold world.

They may have all perished, but their swag remains in the rugs they laid.

Fisty

qurffe

I have noticed minor problem with this mod, dunno if it is intentional or not, is that colonist need to be able to do both art and craft to use the rug making table, so my colonist that has high art but is incapable of crafting cannot work it (but she can make statues), making it useless as she is only art person i have (other colonists make rugs that gives minus beauty). :(

Fisty

No, definitely not intentional.. having Darc look at it.

panggul_mas

Does this mod offer any practical/strategic gains over vanilla?

eg. can you mass construct and sell rugs for good return, or do dyed cloth clothing sell for a premium? Also, do area rugs give better beauty than
vanilla carpet?

I know its an arbitrary distinction for some people, but I like to group the mods I use into purely cosmetic and mechanic-altering.

thanks! fantastic looking mod btw~

qurffe

Quote from: Fisty on May 02, 2016, 01:29:53 PM
No, definitely not intentional.. having Darc look at it.

I might have kind of figured it myself. What i came up with was that in file Defs/WorkGiverDefs/LD-WorkTables.xml you can change WorkType of Rug table to Art instead of Tailoring and that should be all? didnt really test it as i had no time just checked if the person who cant do crafting could use the table.

Fisty

Issue with tailoring skill being required has been fixed, also fixed the work amounts so they are more realistic (I had figured out what I wanted the work amounts to be early on but didn't realize the number had to be multiplied by 60 in the code to be correct in game.)  New files on the Nexus http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/112/

Quote from: panggul_mas on May 02, 2016, 02:07:21 PM
Does this mod offer any practical/strategic gains over vanilla?

The colored cloth actually sells for a bit less than default cloth, no idea why but no money to be made there.  The rugs themselves offer beauty and can be sold, so basically they're like sculptures that you can put under furniture.  If you consider that cheaty or balance breaking since cloth is not a finite resource like stone is up to you.  The higher your artist's skill is the better quality rugs they will generally create and the higher the value/beauty, just like sculptures.  The balance comes in the same way it works with vanilla sculptures.. more pretty rugs around your base or more silver from selling them will mean bigger/harder raids.  So your first freeby colonist join may have 10 artist skill and you can spam rug making but you will be slammed with raiders if you do it too soon.

Edit: to answer the carpet flooring question directly - yes, because you can make the floor of a room carpet for the beauty it offers and then also put an area rug on top of it.

reiia

Dunno if anyone mentioned this, but if you break it down, it gives you more materials than what it takes to make.... Noticed this when i sat on 8000 red fabrics trying to get masterworked stuff.  Not to mention it takes like 1 second to craft.  Is this intended? :P

Fisty

It should be a 1 to 1 conversion of default cloth into colored cloth..  and forgot to fix the work amount needed on the colored cloth when we fixed it for the rugs.

I'll poke at it tomorrow, sorry about that.

reiia

Im def. getting more of the colored cloth from breaking down the rugs than it takes to make!  Sitting on 10000 pure white cloths now. lol
Say.. Make a 4x7 rug of any color.  When it is in your stockpile, break it down, and you will have more XYZ of that color cloth than what you started.  Set workbench to forever, and keep breaking it down until you get the quality you want.

Fisty

Okay, finally figured out what you meant.  So I tested on a 5x5 rug.. should get 250 back when deconstructed but it gives 281 instead...  all qualities and all colors.
We have no idea why it's happening, give us a bit to track it down.. if anything it should give like 125 in that case, there should be a penalty for recycling to get the best quality like that.

Fisty

er scratch that, I was reading the work amount by accident.

So 5x5 rug takes 375 cloth and gives 281 back.

Fisty

Okay, went through and tested every rug in the mod, they all give back about 75% of their original material cost when deconstructed.
(I tested the A13 version, if you're using A12 let me know.. they should work the same but who knows.)

Edit- quick check on A12, works the same, 75% return.

Fisty

Files updated on Nexus, minor fixes, change log in 1st post.
I'll stop spamming the thread now.

Fisty

Updated for Alpha 14, also added to Steam Workshop.