need "do not go here" zones [mantis]

Started by dakenho, January 31, 2014, 11:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakenho

I have some trouble with idle colonists path finding to areas I do not want them to go.   In this case the back side of my base is walled on the bottom and naturally walled on the sides,  The idle AI will path to the unprotected part of the, often pathing around a very large distance to get there.   Currently I am just mircoing them by recruiting and un recruiting them to reset there path.

Semmy

This is more of a suggestion not really a bug is it?
Shall i move it to suggestions for you?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

dakenho

I would think the ai's tendency to path to the opposite side of the map to get to a single tile behind a wall (that is not in a home a zone, were the ai is literately doing nothing) is some what of a problem.   I can see your side though so go ahead and move it.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Semmy

Than i will mantis it.

Thanks for reporting dakenho.

http://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=325
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

dakenho

Thanks semmy I think your description is off though in the bug tracker

|                           |
|               y          |
|_______________|
              x

imagine the above u shape is your base and imagine that walls on the side take up more then half the map (combined building wall and natural wall).  No imagine that settler Y wants to path to square x, there is a valid path, its not block, there is just no good reason for it to do so,  what appears to be happening is there is some type of idle code that causes people to walk about when they dont have thing to do, the game thinks the square is only 2 or three squares away there fore attempts to path to it, regardless of the fact that this would cause it to path around half the map.  (once again, this is not part of a home zone, there is no repairs, the guy just walks there, then walks back to eat or do what ever).  If I am right then a simple check of pathing distance should be able to put a stop to this.

Tynan

The solution won't be a do-no-go zone, it'll more likely be changing the set of buildings they try to wander near. I may also add a common room area where they'll wander if you set it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

cud

Quote from: Tynan on January 31, 2014, 05:34:10 PM
The solution won't be a do-no-go zone, it'll more likely be changing the set of buildings they try to wander near. I may also add a common room area where they'll wander if you set it.
[/quote

Yes i can state this happens to me while waiting for crops to grow and finished cleaning the end up going outside and behind your base or whatever have you and then getting upset because they are hungry or tired but really they have had plenty of time to do all this but they just were bored walking for no reason and then they rage quit on the col ? happened to me in randy random a bit!

i like the idea of common room ! that sounds good specially for socializing to make col happy again

dakenho

of course you are correct and I am glad you are devoted to making the game more mechanically solid as apposed to workarounds.