"Gay" as a trait

Started by TheNewNo2, April 11, 2016, 02:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlyscarlet

I see this thread has already become a pile of shit with the whole "Gays are breaking my immersion"

Anyways, I would like it if gender preferences were there but didn't take up a slot (put it somewhere else) or have it take up a slot and have more traits slots.

DFKabuto

You kidding? Kids would help any colony.

They'd probably sell for TONS to pirates and tribals.

Lady Wolf

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 11, 2016, 08:37:08 PM
And since such gritty details would offend people, yeah...

Such gritty details would also potentially impact sales, Cannibalism is far enough removed from civilized socities real life unpleasantness that it's not likely to traumatize or offend someone by being in the game, adding something like rape from a colonist having a mental break could/would likely upset quite a few people, and it would also likely cause all sorts of bad publicity for the game. (Similar to how Mass Effects same sex romance plot with Lira Tsoni got it (mis) labeled a "lesbian sex simulator" by the media.)

I think it's great Tynan included Lesbian/bi/gay traits in A13, and they do add depth to the relationships and possible stories. (although I agree they should take up a free third slot, along with with "Straight")

Zoophile/Trans/asexual/robot lover/etc I don't see adding enough additional depth to the relationship aspect of the game to be worth the time for Tynan to code in given there's so many other neat stuff he could add. (like being able to land on a new planet with your built ship & stored resources for example/)

And like I said in another similar thread, there will no doubt be mods to add in zoophila/trans/planto-philes and whatever other sexual orientation/interest people think is needed; and probably a mod to remove the gay/lesbian/bi traits entirely for those who just want a straight colony.

Lady Wolf

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 11, 2016, 10:36:21 PM

Just think if they were added, and a transsexual got rejected / insulted incessantly by a guy she flirted with... I don't think that would be something you would want to see, much less violent outbursts against them, or botched surgeries killing the person, or other terrible possibilities.

I'm inclined to agree with this, and thinking more on it, I question if Rimworld is the correct game to include such social/personal complexities beyond the relationship system we have in A13?

At it's core Rim World is a harsh game of violence, starvation, pain and eventual death as your struggle against the inevitable end of your colony. (at least when played on the normal difficulty with Cassandra or Randy anyway  :P )

In Rimworld having a colonist be trans or a hermaphrodite or whatever minority is not included right now doesn't really add as much to the game play, compared to say, adding in the ability to raid enemy settlements, or actually control your settlers when they go off on a "mission" or being able to start a new game + with the colonists and supplies you loaded onto your starship you launched from the previous map.

A trans minority is something that would be more of a perfect fit in a game like Sims 3/4 where the social complexity of being trans could take center stage and tell a much more compelling story than in RimWorld; where that story will probably be one of pain, mutilation, (when you lose body parts to some raiders charge rifle) and eventual death when Randy drops a mechanoid ship part on your head during a cold snap with an rampaging Warg pack at the front door.  8) )

Lady Wolf

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 11, 2016, 11:36:00 PM
Wolf, I've felt a pain in my gut a few times in rimworld too, from breakups, family issues, ect. Its a game which is emotionally engaging, and sometimes a little bit painful to watch, but that is part of the "storytelling" experience.  Sure, seeing a girl break up with a guy after he saved her, got maimed in the process, because of a small argument, before an infection slowly killed him hit me right in the feels. It hurt, it hurt bad, it reminded me of a few break ups I had, and DAMN that hurt... BUT, I would never, EVER say "rim-world shouldn't have x because it hurts my feeling and made me a bit sad". Even though, embarrassing to say, that situation got me really, really effected emotionally, and hate to say it, brought a tear to my eye, I wouldn't say that shouldn't happen..

You bring of a very valid point I admit, and I've felt a pang or two of heartache during various events in RW, although for people like you and me such real life events that the ones in RW remind us of are few and far between. (I sincerely hope anyway.) For someone who experiences bullying and violence on a daily basis the reminder in game might well be a lot more off putting.

I do agree completely with you though that if Trans are included they they should also include the Harassment, threats, abuse, murder, etc since it is Rimworld and yeah, if you're going to put it in you might as well throw in all the draw back too for the sake of a more compelling storyline.

Although I would think that murder should be a very low % chance, since in a survival situation even if person x hates the trans (or whatever trait bearing) colonist, if the hated colonist is the colonies only doctor, or researcher etc, they would think twice before going so far as to kill them when the entire colonies survival may hinge on that one colonists particular skill niche. (Then again they may be too angry or stupid to care...)

Lady Wolf

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 12, 2016, 12:32:23 AM
Yeah wolf, those situations which make me almost cry are exceptionally rare, but enough that I'm well aware of them. Really am embarrassed to admit rimworld can do that to me but it can.

Nothing embarrassing about it, that a game can be made well enough to evoke an emotional response from it's player/s is a tribute to the games quality/realism. If a game doesn't invoke some kind of feelings in me one way or another chances are it's one I'll stop playing after beating it the first time.

QuoteAnd usually if for whatever reason you cannot function, you are left to die, like dead weight.

That's if you're lucky. Given the average Rim World experience, there's a better chance you'll wind up having your organs harvested, sold as a slave, or butchered and fed to the wargs/your fellow colonists. (or used as a bullet sponge in the next raider attack)

Like Inan said in Dragon Heart, "Death should be a release, not a punishment." Seems Rimworld's taken that phrase to heart.  :P

JonoRig

You guys are taking this so deep. For me, I'm not bothered.  Dev time can be spent else where but if this happens, as long as they can pull their weight, don't care about their background... If they can't, then they get euthanized and eaten...  Humans a human, all meat to me

Scotty

i knew adding traits like this would cause havock -_-

I don't even understand why zoophila and bestiality would even be considered by the community. ew...

Pickle

Woah, so many things happened each time the word "gay" appear in a title.

I think the sexuality of the colonist should appear only in the new table with all the stats. Something like "Have had a relationship with X woman/man", or "Have been in couple during X hours with a male/female", and the sexuality will be determine by that. Of course, people can be gay and have had a story with a girl. Why not, this kind of things happened and would add much more subtility than a Gay trait.

As far as I know, a lot of transgenres don't want to change their bodies, only a part of them go and see a doctor about that. And the surgeon that operated me told me that in Europa, only one on five people who are seeing a doctor for a transsexualism matter want to do the complete change. Some people don't identify themselves as male or female, some want only hormones or one operation etc... In France, you can be operated for free so money is not the issue, the family and friends can influence, but some people just don't need it and feel fine.

So it's a really complex stuff to put in a game, which will concern a very little part of it. And as a said in an other thread, I already find the looks and names of the colonists more or less gender-mixed. I'm not against it, but this feature isn't a necessity.

DFKabuto

At this point, I think the best course of action would be to leave "gay" in the game (trait or stat or whatever fits), and then just drop the issue from future development and leave it to the modding community. In the social system, I'm assuming that the "gay" trait just switches one flag on the given pawn that changes their objects of attraction.

This is an issue that will always leave people vocally dissatisfied and outwardly belligerent, when it comes from the game's official creators. So, leave it in the hands of modders who can dedicate their development time to the features that they want to see without impacting the overall development of the base game.

mumblemumble

Quote from: DFKabuto on April 12, 2016, 03:59:36 PM
At this point, I think the best course of action would be to leave "gay" in the game (trait or stat or whatever fits), and then just drop the issue from future development and leave it to the modding community. In the social system, I'm assuming that the "gay" trait just switches one flag on the given pawn that changes their objects of attraction.

This is an issue that will always leave people vocally dissatisfied and outwardly belligerent, when it comes from the game's official creators. So, leave it in the hands of modders who can dedicate their development time to the features that they want to see without impacting the overall development of the base game.
Yeah I agree, trying to dive in and do anything like this is like trying to get in the middle of a fight between 2 drug addicts. Sure, not doing anything isn't "great", but getting in the middle of it can get things much, much, MUCH worse potentially.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Torkkar

ok to shut everyone up just do this

Add a new section titled Misc Information Display here Sexuality sub Category place Homosexual or Heterosexual in this area along with some other stuff like Vegan, Vegetarian, Meat Lover etc... and so on even the Chemical Interest trait can go here.

doing this will 1 make being Gay not a label but a statement that this colonist prefers sex with their gender. 2 this will free up a trait slot while still showing information about the colonist. 3 it will shut up most people complaining about "Labels"

p.s. the LGTG community wants equality give up the Gay Pride Parade we don't get the straight pride parade why should you get a parade for your sexuality when we don't?

Fluffy (l2032)

@mumble; oh you poor straight, male, white, christian person - you have it so bad with all those minorities infringing on your right to be a douchebag. I cry for you, I really do.

@any moderator that reads this; please excuse me for the above, I couldn't stop myself. You might want to lock the thread, there's been some relevant information that might be useful - but I can see only drama in the future.

Noobshock

As expected, catering to lgbt issues only invites demands for more. And you can expect there will be no end to the special snowflake whining.

milon

Too much off topic stuff here.  Thread is temp-locked while I attempt to untangle this mess & split the off topic posts away. Apologies to the future - this thread will disjointed when I'm finished.

Okay, off-topic stuff has been moved here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18818.0

This thread is for RimWorld Suggestions.  Let's keep it that way, and see the other thread for everything else.  Sorry for the disjointed look now, but that really wasn't avoidable.