"Gay" as a trait

Started by TheNewNo2, April 11, 2016, 02:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagabond

Quote from: caekdaemon on May 16, 2016, 09:54:20 AM
I'm not much of a modder or anything, so I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement, but what about moving the sexuality and social traits to a subcategory of the social tab?

(...)

As for the existing trait system, just relabel it as physical and mental traits or something along those lines, and rip out any social traits (like, say, Abrasive) and put them under personality traits instead, which should tidy things up.

Suggested something similar a long time ago, it never got much response, aside from it eventually becoming sort-of a thing in game.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17605.0

charkesd

Quote from: Zombra on May 16, 2016, 12:00:44 AM
Quote from: charkesd on May 15, 2016, 05:19:55 PMsomeone wants to compromise this game. when you try to make this game other then what the creator wants - the game always suffers.

The creator is perfectly OK with having LGBT characters in his game.  It's you who want to censor it by removing them.

Ready to quit forever yet?

once again your not smart enough to figure out that i play this game and am already aware of what is in this game

please stop trying so hard to get one over on me by going OH SNAP

its like your 5.

RawCode

It's possible to remove anything some "individuals" not like, lets start from potato, i hate potato, it's already 5500 how people dare to eat potato, unacceptable!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

Lets begin our removal list!

1. Gays
2. Potato

r

charkesd

im personally going to be ok with whatever is put in this game because like most of the not redneck not social media bubble world, i dont care!

but its not nice to try to essentially guilt someone into making their game the way you see fit

SpaceDorf

I just wanted to mention that the sexuality list is completely implemented in that Dwarven Game. ( Not the newest gender-discussion trend with transgender, as far as I know )
But you know what ? Nobody cared.  And yes, there are marriages and children too.

The political discussion about what cultures like and what personal beliefs are is nice.
But it is a fact of human nature ( and other mammals ) that these gender preferences exist.

And a game, that is mainly about storytelling and human experience it would be wrong in my eyes to let those potential stories go. In my eyes the only true barriers are consent and age. If those are given everything goes.

And since someone mentioned the Ancient Greek already, there are some sexual preferences I would really not like to see in any game. But they are also allready covered by consent and age :)

In game I think the DF approach is best. It is as someone allready mentioned a hidden stat of the Dorfs which can only be seen in checking the relationships or with external software.

Also this gives us two new traits :)
Homophobe and Hypocrit

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Vagabond

Quote from: SpaceDorf on May 16, 2016, 05:29:15 PM
(. . .)

The political discussion about what cultures like and what personal beliefs are is nice.
But it is a fact of human nature ( and other mammals ) that these gender preferences exist.

And a game, that is mainly about storytelling and human experience it would be wrong in my eyes to let those potential stories go. In my eyes the only true barriers are consent and age. If those are given everything goes.

And since someone mentioned the Ancient Greek already, there are some sexual preferences I would really not like to see in any game. But they are also allready covered by consent and age :)

(. . .)

Consent and age vary with the century and culture as well, though. Look at the quinceanera - it was the celebration from a girl to a woman. My grandmother who was Nahua migrated from from Oaxaca to Coahuila where my great grandfather earned his degree in engineering. My grandfather's family was from Coahuila, but he was born a United States citizen in Texas (my great grandmother and father earned their citizenship prior to his birth). Anyways, his family and her family arranged them to meet after my grandfather finished boot camp (U.S Navy) and it was "love at first sight". He was 18 and she was 15. According to them, it was a chaste marriage as both of them were Catholic and it was a stipulation of the church due to her age and not physically capable of child birth yet due to her being petite.

Basically, what I am getting at is that while in america or whatever country you live in it may be wrong, it is only wrong because society says it is. Society is far from always being right. We have cavemen in this game, it would make sense that as soon as a girl has had her first menstrual, she would be considered a woman and would likely be transferred from her parent's possession to a suitable man, assuming we are talking homo sapiens sapiens and not one of the other homo species.

I prefer it all to be in and accounted for, rather than cherry picking for the sake of political correctness. A century ago going public with homosexuality was ill advised, while arranged marriage was still common. Heck, prior to the 1920s age of consent was 7-14 depending on the state. Wasn't until 2001 that hawaii changed theirs from 14 to 16.

I don't know about you all, but I grew up in south east San Diego, in California. I remember middle and highschool, as well as how much tail I chased and baked. My wife and I had our first child at 16 and 17 respectively. That was an accident, one that could have happened with a plethora of girls from the sixth grade until I got with my wife - then girlfriend. Mind you, she was 115 pounds soaking wet, a size zero, and five foot three inches tall. Zero complications during pregnancy or birth, with her being in labor for a measly five hours, and active labor for about an hour after that (where the doctors are actually instructing her to evacuate the alien-like creature).

If we are going to have one form of deviancy in game, why not have them all? Just like in real life, why does the LGBT have the monopoly on social freedom, if that form of deviancy is to be allowed, we should also allow polygamy. I'm all about equality, as long as it is equal across the board and those of the previously oppressed don't overreach as some "equal rights groups" do.

mumblemumble

I just want to say i find it funny,  even in the trans bounty hunter thing,  it explicitly mentions an absent father. Lack of mother / father figures can help lead into feeling gender dysphoria,  among many other problems. Its hilarious to see,  and i think i will archive that information for my own use just so that detail is never forgotten.

Also,  for people citing a single background : a single background that someone fronted over 50 bucks for is much different than a full on trans / lgbt system.  Tynan "could"  of said "listen,  i don't want the weight of the whole lgbt stuff on my game,  change the background or ill refund you",  but even refunding would of been far too much of a pain because the person would of declared war on rimworld. This is how lgbt communities often are, they declare you an enemy if you don't support them,  or are against. This is why ignoring is useful.

Also considering how common homophobia is, it shouldn't be a trait =) more people by far dislike gay people,, than are gay,  though this is suppressed everywhere almost. 
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Zombra

Quote from: mumblemumble on May 18, 2016, 03:19:22 PMAlso,  for people citing a single background

Yeah, that was me - wasn't meant to prove that a full-blown system is coded in or intended - just taking a dig at the guy who said "I'll quit immediately and forever if LGBT stuff appears in the game", because for some reason he is still here.   ;)

charkesd

Quote from: Zombra on May 18, 2016, 08:42:29 PM
Quote from: mumblemumble on May 18, 2016, 03:19:22 PMAlso,  for people citing a single background

Yeah, that was me - wasn't meant to prove that a full-blown system is coded in or intended - just taking a dig at the guy who said "I'll quit immediately and forever if LGBT stuff appears in the game", because for some reason he is still here.   ;)

Who said that? I love how you have to set up strawmen to make ur self feel like not a underhanded low life.

Zombra

Quote from: charkesd on May 08, 2016, 01:47:13 PMif you enact any of this pc bullshit im guna leave this game forever

charkesd

Quote from: Zombra on May 18, 2016, 08:42:29 PM
"I'll quit immediately and forever if LGBT stuff appears in the game", because for some reason he is still here.   ;)

Quote from: Zombra on May 19, 2016, 01:37:35 PM
Quote from: charkesd on May 08, 2016, 01:47:13 PMif you enact any of this pc bullshit im guna leave this game forever

hm...

crazyarms

Honestly, after reading through this entire post, I do have to agree that it is alittle weird that gay is a trait. As mentioned earlier, I think it would be better to possibly separate "traits" into some different groupings like physical and social. I know that lgbt(and sometimes q?) topics get alot of support or opposition, but honestly, imho more content should be added to the game before we really consider removing what we have.

On a side note, and going back more to separating traits, would be interesting to see social conflicts from colonists of different tech levels (Glitterworld Surgeon dislikes neolithic medicine man)

cultist

One thing that needs to stop is gay pawns constantly hitting on straight pawns, causing poor social relations. it makes no sense after one or two attempts, they should be able to understand that the other person is not interested. It essentially turns gay into a "bad" trait much like abrasive, which doesn't seem intentional.

Travinsky

Quote from: cultist on May 20, 2016, 12:33:47 PM
One thing that needs to stop is gay pawns constantly hitting on straight pawns, causing poor social relations. it makes no sense after one or two attempts, they should be able to understand that the other person is not interested. It essentially turns gay into a "bad" trait much like abrasive, which doesn't seem intentional.

I don't think that's so much an issue with the Gay trait but with the relationship system in general. One of my colonists keeps hitting on his best friend's wife, like multiple times yet his mate doesn't care one bit. Its just something that maybe needs to be smoothed over.

Honestly, the current system works well enough as it is. Maybe it needs a bit of tweaking, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the Gay trait hidden, but all in all it works well and that the fact that since the new release there have only been a couple of topics that've gotten a little heated shows that the vast majority of people don't have a problem with the current system.

At the end of day, there's gonna be a lot of mods addressing all sorts of perceived problems from whole range of perspectives. I'd rather the development team spent more time on new additions to the game, than tearing their hair out trying to perfect what has otherwise been a fantastic update to make everyone happy.

des

Tynan probably has his own opinions and beliefs, noone needs to speak  on his behalf. But, I believe you ALL have put him in an awkward position as a Dev. I think you guys need to take a step back and realize the Gay trait was a good intention, but poorly implemented. Being gay isn't a trait, a trait describes your personality and who you are. Gay is not a personality. You cannot say (when describing someone's personality) "Oh he is Stubborn Irrational and Straight". Nor can you say "Oh he is Hardworking, Too Smart and Gay". Get it now? Get the OP???? Now please stop with the Anti-LGBT and Pro-LGBT crap on a video game suggestion.