RimWorld has gotten 10 times better for me since Alpha 13

Started by stefanstr, April 11, 2016, 03:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argelle

I did have a nice time with A13, since I care more than before about relationships. I tend to follow their moods and changes now.
Great job!

Scotty

A13 has jumped forward in terms of game play. i like the idea of having relatives in different factions :D. i need to start playing with the lower tech stuff as i keep forgetting to use it.

Saikar

Quote from: Limdood on April 11, 2016, 05:10:33 PM
as well as the scary likelihood for permanent damage or death from social fights (OR the lack of tools to stop such fights).

Yeah. Three out of the four social fights I've had have resulted in scars, and two were to eyes. I now have a colonist that's nearly blind because someone punched him in the eye over an insult. Guess he's off the front line shooting brigade.

I don't mind the bruises and stuff from the fights, but I really wish they'd be a little more forgiving on the permanent damage.

stefanstr

Regarding social fights, I guess we need to adapt. In real life, if you really hate someone but want to avoid conflict, you try to stay away from them. Unless Tynan programs such behavior in (which would be cool, BTW, and could depend on personality traits) we need to manually do it via schedules or allowed areas.

I haven't tried it yet but I don't think keeping rivals away from one another should be that much of an issue.

And I wouldn't like Tynan to nerf the behavior. It's just too much fun to watch a jealous ex-lover kill their unfaithful SO in a fit of rage.

JimmyAgnt007

my only issues with the fights is that they take up valuable medicine.  id like it if people got treatment for bruises but didnt use meds.  unless there was bleeding of course.  just something to take the edge off if we are already low on supplies.

Limdood

pet liability:
in previous alphas, if i could feed them, i could try to breed a bunch of boars/pigs/dogs for hauling.  Every now and again, 1 would die during an attack immediately raid if they were stuck outside during hauling.  As long as you actively tried to breed them, or had around 6+, it wasn't an issue.

Now, predators outside will increase the amount of dead hauler animals significantly.  The mood penalty for a bonded animal's death means that ANY dead animal will always be a huge impact on the colony.  Now any raid, any predator, and any "forgetting" to set a master to none (after the pet is first trained in obedience) could kill a pet and saddle a colonist with what amounts to a psychic drone for over a season.  Add that to the fact that setting master to none gives another -3 mood to the animals bonded pawn.

I just don't understand...animals added in A12, and there were people who used them, and people who couldn't get them to work or didn't see the point.  Basically, reactions were mixed.  Pet combat still wasn't terribly viable.  Now in A13, rather than streamline animals or make pet combat (which is clearly designed to be a feature) more viable, pets are now HARDER to use or justify than ever before.

JimmyAgnt007

I keep cats and restrict them to my base.  Livestock in the barn.  All the hauling is done by my colonists.  Cats wont get trained or go outside the zone.  This way I get the benefits of having pets without having to worry about random preds killing them.  Of course I gotta worry about insect hives but thats fine.

Marduk

With the changes in research, crafting and day length, the game now feels more like it did with hardcore and similar mods before. Pacing is slower and more challenging overall, and the social stuff also adds some diversion to the usual stuff you do in the game. Some more crafting\research expansions in that direction and modders will have to find other things to improve upon.