Does anyone else miss Target Designation on turrets?

Started by Xenotashin, April 11, 2016, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenotashin

Quote from: Shinzy on April 12, 2016, 08:40:59 AM
Quote from: Scotty on April 12, 2016, 07:58:56 AM
i miss it. i sometimes used in to take down harder enemy's and let my colonists deal with the rest

You still can, you just have to initiate the fight with a pawn, which I think is more than fair

The problem is you can't actually start a fight with an animal that is already hunting, so if I see a bear hunting one of my animals, it will not aggro on my pawns shooting it until it has had it's fill. Which means my turrets are useless even if I have someone fortunate enough to shoot it. That is at least until it's done eating.

mumblemumble

The thing of them not shooting hunters is a glitch, hunting x pawn is not recognized as attacking x pawn, so turrets do not react to it.

This will be fixed, but I doubt turret aim will be added again, at least not easily.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Lady Wolf

There needs to be some kind of immediate "hold fire" button added at the very least. If I can't redirect my turrets to fire at a different target then I absolutely need the ability to shop them from firing with a button click when their target mixes it up in melee with 2 or more of my colonists.

This is even more crucial for mortar turrets given their high capacity for 1 hit kills and deviation that allows them to cause friendly fire incidents far easier.

Tynan

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 12, 2016, 05:43:51 PM
The thing of them not shooting hunters is a glitch, hunting x pawn is not recognized as attacking x pawn, so turrets do not react to it.

This will be fixed, but I doubt turret aim will be added again, at least not easily.

This behavior has not been designated as a bug. Currently, it is as designed.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Quote from: Lady Wolf on April 12, 2016, 06:08:07 PM
There needs to be some kind of immediate "hold fire" button added at the very least. If I can't redirect my turrets to fire at a different target then I absolutely need the ability to shop them from firing with a button click when their target mixes it up in melee with 2 or more of my colonists.

This is even more crucial for mortar turrets given their high capacity for 1 hit kills and deviation that allows them to cause friendly fire incidents far easier.

Good idea.

mumblemumble

Wait, really ty?...I mean, I get you are the dev buuut...how would a turret realistically distinguish between a cougar charging someone out of anger, and out of hunger? That is the part that bugs me, it should check for the fact its being aggressive, not the intention...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tynan

If realism is your concern, there are some other parts of this game we should be looking at first. Like, for example, how a turret tells the difference between a cougar charging at a wild rabbit and one charging at a colonist. Or between one just running somewhere and one charging at a colonist. Or between a cougar and a rock or a tree.

What you're describing is a design issue but the solution cannot be to just turn turrets into zero-risk hunting machines. That's just trading a small design problem for a big one.

Lady Wolf

Thinking more on this, I think it would be great to lock the target-able turret ability behind some advanced research tech?

This way you can still unlock it for use in later parts of the game, when manually telling your turret to target a sniper, or leading a group of advancing raiders with a mortar turret so it actually hits them can make a difference between survival and defeat; and it will still keep it from being a balance issue in early game when manual targeting makes things far too easy.

Boston

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 12, 2016, 06:51:27 PM
Wait, really ty?...I mean, I get you are the dev buuut...how would a turret realistically distinguish between a cougar charging someone out of anger, and out of hunger? That is the part that bugs me, it should check for the fact its being aggressive, not the intention...

It is hard to tell in-game (because there is basically no difference), but "in real life", cougars are ambush predators. Meaning, they don't just "CHEARG" their prey, but stalk it, attempting to sneak up on it, and get as close as possible before attacking.

Meaning, the turret is differentiating between "cougar charging at colonist, balls out" and "something sneaking through the trees and underbrush"

Xenotashin

Quote from: Tynan on April 12, 2016, 07:13:32 PM
If realism is your concern, there are some other parts of this game we should be looking at first. Like, for example, how a turret tells the difference between a cougar charging at a wild rabbit and one charging at a colonist. Or between one just running somewhere and one charging at a colonist. Or between a cougar and a rock or a tree.

What you're describing is a design issue but the solution cannot be to just turn turrets into zero-risk hunting machines. That's just trading a small design problem for a big one.

I totally get your point there, but kinda wish the turrets would at least react when the cougar/bear has whatever one of my animal's in it's jaws and is shaking it around violently while my colonists desperately shoot at it hoping to kill it before it kills the animal. While the turrets just watch on like nothing eventful is happening.

As for zero risk hunting machines, they already kind of are if your colonist aggros the animal while it's just minding it's own business and then leads it into the turret field. (Which is kinda what I started doing to all the predators in my region to save my puppies.)

Zanfib

mumblemumble

Quote from: Zanfib on April 13, 2016, 05:07:58 AM
Turrets are a liability, so I never build them.
Considering they now also use components, I agree, its difficult to justify the cost of more than a few when absolutely needed.

-----

Limdood

people requested an "off button" for turrets.  This can be jury rigged in game by putting a piece of wiring (unconnected) near each turret...any turret you want off...hit the "reconnect" to power grid button

skullywag

Dont we have switches ingame for that kind of thing?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Lady Wolf

Quote from: skullywag on April 13, 2016, 12:05:49 PM
Dont we have switches ingame for that kind of thing?

We do but they require a char to manually flick them, which during a raid simply isn't practical.