Does anyone else miss Target Designation on turrets?

Started by Xenotashin, April 11, 2016, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

In that case you are abusing an "act of god" type thing (like triggering mining charges, which were removed) which shouldnt be possible. The pawns should have to turn on their turrets or leave them on for preparedness.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Lady Wolf

Quote from: skullywag on April 13, 2016, 12:41:18 PM
The pawns should have to turn on their turrets or leave them on for preparedness.

Given we have wireless remote controls for things in modern day (from garage door openers to electronic car starters) in a space faring society I really don't see why the turrets can't be set to remote activation/deactivation so a colonist can turn them off with a remote control in the heat of combat rather than watch it rain down mortars on their allies heads.

skullywag

But i mean why dont you use a switch in a more central location to turn your turrets on and off, preferably in a high traffic zone. Then if a raid happens you can just flip em on with the nearest colonist. Thats hardly impractical.

Lady Wolf

Quote from: skullywag on April 13, 2016, 01:21:33 PM
Then if a raid happens you can just flip em on with the nearest colonist. That's hardly impractical.

The problem isn't turning them on, the problem is now we can no longer manually designate a target we can't redirect a gun turret to switch targets so it won't kill our colonists when the enemy the turret is shooting closes into melee range with a colonist, or being able to quickly order the mortar turret to target an area on the far side of the map so it doesn't drop shells on your colonists when they close to engage the enemy you were just mortaring.

So an instant "off/hold fire" button is what I was asking for so I can stop the turret shooting immediately to prevent friendly fire incidents. (Granted the work around by limdod works, but is a bit crude compared to just having a "hold fire" button. on the gun turret.)

Harold3456

I don't get the argument that it's "unrealistic because it's supposed to be an AUTO turret". Auto turrets are already unrealistic! How can a real life turret so perfectly distinguish from friend and foe?

I always assumed that the turret was being somehow remote controlled when I manually aimed it.

skullywag

Quote from: Lady Wolf on April 13, 2016, 02:02:23 PM
So an instant "off/hold fire" button is what I was asking for so I can stop the turret shooting immediately to prevent friendly fire incidents. (Granted the work around by limdod works, but is a bit crude compared to just having a "hold fire" button. on the gun turret.)

oooooh isee, sorry i missed that bit. Hmmm the hold fire button at least should have stayed, at least until the issue as a whole was solved. I would say turrets should be manned only, until you get an ai core then allow automated ones.

Mkok

I like the new A13 turrets. Not being to choose their target sounds logical.

Turrets should really be just a fire support, not your main weapon.

Mathenaut

Triggering something with an RF signal is like.. highschool level physics. If you can build a solar panel, you can build a remote.

Guessing this is a design thing, though. Tynan has been wanting people to lean away from turrets for a while now. Would have preferred other solutions, but it is what it is.

Xenotashin

Quote from: skullywag on April 13, 2016, 02:39:24 PM
Quote from: Lady Wolf on April 13, 2016, 02:02:23 PM

oooooh isee, sorry i missed that bit. Hmmm the hold fire button at least should have stayed, at least until the issue as a whole was solved. I would say turrets should be manned only, until you get an ai core then allow automated ones.

I honestly wouldn't mind that. Would be kinda cool to have to build some sort of turret control mainframe in your base in order to have fully automated turrets. Granted I know this is all just hypothetical, but perhaps have it go from manned turrets to remote operated turrets to fully automated turrets.

I know that whole thing doesn't really contribute to the discussion, but I like to speculate and make stuff up  ;D

silenced

Though all in all it's nice that it's gone, it's still a bit annoying. Especially in WINTER, when bears and other stuff sometimes decides to "hunt" down your colonists due to hunger. A bear attacking a colonist due to hunger does NOT trigger turrets to fire upon the bear, they only fire if the bear is maddened and on manhunter status. Which actually IS annoying.

Maybe add a research option for turrets to set them to "free fire against anything not tame".
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...