Does anyone else miss Target Designation on turrets?

Started by Xenotashin, April 11, 2016, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenotashin

I noticed that the force attack button on turrets is gone, and I'm kinda sad about this. The main reason being is, that I can't have my turrets take out predatory animals who get way too close to my outpost. What's even worse is the turrets will do nothing to save my animals from said predator if it hunts them. I've lost a questionable amount of puppies from small packs of bears hanging around my base.

So yeah anyone else having this or a similar problem?

ChimpX

Manual turret targeting was removed from A13. There was a thread last month started by Tynan himself asking players what they were actually using the feature for.

Presumably it was axed for game balancing reasons.

Limdood

i personally don't use turrets in the vast majority of rimworld games i play.  The ones i did use turrets in, i didn't use manual, since it was just a killbox. 

As a quick fix...assign puppies to a barn or other small area near your trainers with food available.  More long term: get a good hunter with a charge rifle/assault rifle and scan a large area in front of your base, assigning all bears/cougars/snakes/wargs to be hunted.  Assault/charge rifles will shoot fast enough to land a few good hits with low cooldown time, and pawn set to flee will keep the animal from closing, so the "grizzly revenge" warning will let you move the pawn away and start shooting the (likely wounded in the leg at this point) animal with little to no risk.

Shawnganz

Well, they are called Auto-Turrets for a reason. Silly that you could manually control them without a person manning them. As for the predator problem, idk, never had a problem with turrets not attacking animal threats.

brucethemoose

I wanted to use one to take out an crippled, abrasive colonist who wouldn't fight or haul and just kept going mad. Then I noticed it was gone too :(

Xenotashin

Well I think it wouldn't bother me as much if the turrets didn't just ignore the fact one of my animals is being mauled. As for assigning them to a barn or other structure, puppies get eaten the most (mainly because I have so many), but I do have dogs and other animals get attacked too.

Sadly can't scan an area in front of my base either because I'm not playing in an environment that supports having just one front. Occasionally I do try to use one of my snipers to aggro one of the animals so the turrets can quickly execute. Problem is the predators do occasionally sneak up on me so I don't always see them.

CheeseGromit

I've lost a puppy to a bear as well :).

What I think we need in this case is better options for designating what turrets attack or alternatively options for designating hunting areas. With the second option you could create a zone encompassing your base where your colonists would automatically attack certain animals, e.g. predators.

I was experimenting with the Colony Manager v2 mod and quite liked the way it handled hunting.

Shurp

I didn't know it was gone. Shows you how important the feature was to me.

Anything the turrets won't target is target practice for my colonists.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

christhekiller

I've lost a puppy and a kitten to bears as well. Now I have a policy of extermination if I ever see one near my base.

Mathenaut

I'll live without it, but man do I miss it.

Not really sure why it was taken out.

Saw Candyman

I was gonna use one to pop a mech ship, but sadly, my buddy Grub got his britches burned by the silly-nilly Centipede. No long-term harm done, though.
Magic Conch, my least favorite colonist (who has cataracts and is incapable of Dumb Labor) is bleeding to death! What should I do?

"Nothing."

THE MAGIC CONCH HAS SPOKEN!

Lady Wolf

For mortar turrets it's nearly essential so you can target them to hit mechanoid ship parts and besieging raiders properly, for other turrets it was helpful to make sure they targeted the most dangerous enemies, or to re-target them so they didn't fire into melee battles and kill your own colonists.

One of those things I will be modding back in once I get into A13. (holding off till more of the mods on my mod list are updated for it.)

Scotty

i miss it. i sometimes used in to take down harder enemy's and let my colonists deal with the rest

Jan2607

Shinzy

Quote from: Scotty on April 12, 2016, 07:58:56 AM
i miss it. i sometimes used in to take down harder enemy's and let my colonists deal with the rest

You still can, you just have to initiate the fight with a pawn, which I think is more than fair