Insect Hives, How to deal with them once and for all

Started by userfredle, April 11, 2016, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

userfredle

So recently my hospital had some patients recovering from the flu, only to awake to 2 insect hives immediately spawning their death.

Im not very interested in farming them where they are in my colony

So any one come up with some creative ideas? The obvious one being burn them out, but im quite worried the heat / burn wont be enough to kill them, and there goes my whole perma death colony.

Whats your favorite method of creating some bug biscuits?

Mrs_Brisby

Honestly, the only solution I see is never build under mountains. Really wish they would only spawn on rock walls and rock floor.

Coenmcj

1. Lay out some conduit on the ground just inside a doorway
2. chuck molotov
3. ???
4. Profit
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Noobshock

force the door open with one of your colonists which then runs away
shoot inside room from hallways / other rooms
kite using doors when they get too close
???
profit

porcupine

I just had two hives appear at once in a bedroom, and over a half dozen insects materialize all at once, including several of the large centipedes.

I tried to burn 'em out, but it turns out a single heater in a moderately sized bedroom can't go > 50 degrees (ice sheet).  My colony is just a single sniper rifle, a survival rifle, two shoddy pistols, and a shiv, and two indoor turrets within a few inches of the door.  It's the only bedroom I had gotten around to constructing.  Not OP at all heh.

Mikhail Reign

Snipe all the hives. The bugs then turn neutral, and wont attack even when attack. I lv'ed 5 colonists all the way to lv 20 shooting by doing this then drafting them and having them stand in the middle of the mass of bugs for a day. Was just constant gunfire.

Pickle

Yep, there is a bug if you destroy the hives, but it'll be fixed soon ;)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18538.0

We need new ideas, sorry xD

enterprise12

Heres a way to destroy and farm them i made:
Coolers to -6 degrees Farenheit, the hives start to die, i use this when farming if to many hives have spawned and want to collect the jelly and fresh frozen bug food.
Keeps bodies cold for infinite food, tons of jelly(i place a stockpile in the room, jelly sells from there, no need to pick up)

makapse

-6F? I though it was -40, C and F are same at that amount. Anways the bugs cannot spawn the hive if the temp is -10C i know and the spiders can survive at -40C but there is a bug tight now that if the hive is destroyed, the bugs get non-agro

Goldenpotatoes

The best way to directly deal with them as I've seen is just gathering all your colonists and attacking it as soon as possible.

I had 2 hives pop up while I was digging out my mountain bedrooms, I was lucky enough to have the hives contained in the secondary dorms that had a decently-sized hallway to kite the bugs out. A pistol and shotgun waited at the end of the corridor while the rest grabbed the best nearby melee weapon and brought them out into the line of fire. Combined effort usually beats out singular bugs and at worst you'll have some cut limbs, but you should have a lot less bugs.

Blocking it up with stone walls and setting it on fire also works pretty well.

Nickvr628

Use the machining bench to craft incendiary launchers and burn them out. If you are concerned about the fire spreading surround the room with metal or stone walls that won't burn. In a mountain base a few Incendiary launcher shells will quickly get the room up to several hundred degrees. Build a fire-foam popper outside the front door and trigger it when you want to put out the fire. Viola, the bugs are gone!

Listen1

Quote from: Nickvr628 on April 12, 2016, 09:10:39 AM
Use the machining bench to craft incendiary launchers and burn them out. If you are concerned about the fire spreading surround the room with metal or stone walls that won't burn. In a mountain base a few Incendiary launcher shells will quickly get the room up to several hundred degrees. Build a fire-foam popper outside the front door and trigger it when you want to put out the fire. Viola, the bugs are gone!

This. Just aim for the hives or near it. Let the fire do the rest.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Mrs_Brisby on April 11, 2016, 08:49:41 PM
Honestly, the only solution I see is never build under mountains. Really wish they would only spawn on rock walls and rock floor.

I will NEVER stop building under mountains.  Sieges against exposed colonies always do more damage.  That being said, I will agree that they should only spawn in rock caves.

Reddeath96

Wouldn't it make since for the bugs to become neutral if the hive is destroyed. Especially if its a "hive mind" kind of deal. Make it a feature for the new enemy  ;). Anyway I usually I equip my colonists with melee weapons and they tend to take them out fairly easily.

makapse

they should give some 5 secs before they arrive so we can evacuate the area at least.As it is, anyone in the room where they arrive are just dead men that dont know they are dead yet